• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A most memorial Memorial Day find ($100 Contest- See Pg 10)

132 posts in this topic

I found this entire thread fascinating for some reason and thought I would save others some time who wondered what vol 1 no 1 cover looked like:

vol1-1c.jpg

I think all the covers are discussed in this newsletter from the site theyellowkid pointed us to here.

One thing that stood out to me was that the pictures from the ones on this thread seem to be in such better shape than the ones on the website (save the clipped corners).

great stuff

From that site I like this: It took Bob Cook many years to complete this collection of all nine issues, and today I believe it is the only set known to exist in the hobby

Seeing as though not even CGC has had issue #4 in their hands, I thought some may be interested to see whats inside of these books. I took a few shots here of a few select pages. Neat little blurbs of 19th century humor and cartoons. Hope you can read them. Some are just hard to get. Funny thing I always thought that the Carter and the liver pills was about President Jimmy Carter :D

image_zpstuxrzxi7.jpg

Congrats on a wonderful find. Shows that you never really know what you'll find when you go to look at books.

My mom's generation used a common phrase "more ____________ than Carter's has pills"

I was recallIng the same thing lol

Fantastic find :applause:

I think that issue 1 might be a 1:50 variant!!! Hughes perhaps???

Kidding....Amazing find!

All I see is $$$$

doh!

Momentous find, and an instant collection for a some lucky collector. They money should be secondary, imo.

agreed but he's selling them, I'm sure he's happy that he's going to be getting money

:shrug:

All I see is $$$$

doh!

Momentous find, and an instant collection for a some lucky collector. They money should be secondary, imo.

agreed but he's selling them, I'm sure he's happy that he's going to be getting money

This is true (thumbs u

All I see is $$$$

doh!

You make it sound like you'd be just as happy if we replaced "most complete Yellow Kid collection ever to come to market" with "dump truck full of white Carribean sand." He made a find, and he's getting paid, yes, but come on... you don't have to like the material to see the significance. I wouldn't be surprised if Junk's name ends up attached to these years from now. That's the takeaway.

i'm not even going to bother

you have no clue what my comment to JD was. The comment was to him tongue in cheek but you want to believe what you want to believe

I give up

It is also possible that the image Alfred E Newman was influenced by the look of The Yellow Kid
Interesting. Heres one I found as I was looking, searching and reading up on The Yellow Kid. Somewhere I did read and not sure how true, but the Yellow Kid is credited as being the first to use word balloons as we know them today.