• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A most memorial Memorial Day find ($100 Contest- See Pg 10)

132 posts in this topic

A friend of mine found a ratty, beaten-to-death issue of Yellow Kid at an antique store for $40 several years ago. That is the only issue I've seen in person. To get this entire run with WHITE PAGES, holy cats, that's a staggering find. Congrats!

Did that Yellow Kid expert guy know why the corners were clipped?

oh yeah-- good point. It doesn't appear they were marked as incomplete like the #1 which had no cover. Could it be that some were sold that way?

Cgc notes that the corners were an issue and the end result grade is quite clear they were hammered for it. I would have liked the books given the technical grade (GLOD) because it's rather obvious they are "Qualified". I called and asked and was told that they'd be Glods and they ended up hammered universals. Whatever.

Anyways, I am interested in puting them into an auction. Clink has been my go to guys, but I'd like to hope and think that a place like HA would serve as the best place for these, given the promoting and marketing as well as clientele they offer. As I have stated once in this thread, Heritage in all their years has never had the opportunity to offer any issue of YK to date, raw or slabbed. That's a strong testament to the scarcity right there.

This is truly a one time only find.

And its a pedigree of sorts all collected by the same person not put together by years of searching. It's the 'Junkdrawer Collection'.

This is truly a one time only find.

And its a pedigree of sorts all collected by the same person not put together by years of searching. It's the 'Junkdrawer Collection'.

Haha, I was thinking if I ever found issue #10 I would have to chop the corners off :facepalm: My OCD ya know.

Anyways, I am interested in puting them into an auction. Clink has been my go to guys, but I'd like to hope and think that a place like HA would serve as the best place for these, given the promoting and marketing as well as clientele they offer. As I have stated once in this thread, Heritage in all their years has never had the opportunity to offer any issue of YK to date, raw or slabbed. That's a strong testament to the scarcity right there.

I hope you make some heavy bank, man. That's good security, that is. :)

Best of luck and keep us posted so we can watch the fun!

very nice -- I know you have talked about the people you bought these from somewhat, but do you have any information about who the original owner was and whether they have had these together since they came out? It doesn't seem like a collection that was cobbled together-- they seem to be a set from one person.

It is a great find but for those who keep saying your name should be attached to a pedigree, I wonder if the original people or last ones who held them the longest shouldn't get that honor.

The couple I bought these from held them for about 40 years, say 1975. They in turn purchased from a relative of a friend who at that time was living in New Hampshire. The OO was a hoarder of magazines. It was said to be a collection of one million magazines purchased during this sale. I was told that the floor in the attic was sagging so badly from the weight. He remembers nothing more and I have begged for the slightest details.