• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you love low grade keys?

60 posts in this topic

Depends what the low grade is for-rusty staples nope. Tears, wear and spine wear ok.

3.0-5.0 is my favorite grade for mega keys. Plus I can't afford anything higher. lol

This!

I LOVE a low grade key...if it has eye appeal. I'm with October...just because it's low grade doesn't mean it's a rag. You can find some really nice looking books in the 3.0-5.0 range

8058285172_c94b1b05b8_z.jpg6857878040_9bcf51c443_z.jpg

7229641188_e962e3a7c7_z.jpg7229638972_cc93b4dc01_z.jpg

Those are all sweet looking low graders, and all probably could have been sold as two grades higher in the raw. What the OP was apparently referring to were very low grade books, as most budget minded collectors have no issue with strong eye-appeal 2.0-3.0 books. I know for myself, eye appeal is paramount with low grade books. I've seen 2.5s I want nothing to do with and 1.5s I'd be happy to own.

3.5 and higher only for me in key books.

I might not feel as strongly about that if the .5-1.5 copies were actually cheap.

Id rather save for a nicer copy or use the money to put together a run instead.

Face it, for better or worse, you can put together a pretty decent run of ASM 2-14 for less than a 1.8 AF 15.

To each his own though. If you dig super low grade keys, fly the flag!

I also like low grade. Thats why if I get a high grader I tear some spots and rub the spine with a rasp.

I don't know what it is, maybe some sort of OCD, but certain flaws bother me so much I can't tolerate them. If I can't afford a nice presenting 2.0-3.0 or better book I probably won't ever own it. It's just not worth it for me.

I'd rather have a book with a bit of Color Touch that's much more presentable then a book that's missing pieces, split apart spines, old tape covering tears, brown brittle pages, and things of that nature. If it is to beat up for me to feel comfortable flipping through the pages without inadvertently causing damage, it's not for me.

I have a 1.5 Tales of Suspense 39 that I cracked for Stan Lee, and was so stressful to hold it for me, it didn't fall apart on me, but I was really worried lol… But I think it presents quite nice, and I got it because it was all I could afford. Is this the sort of thing you're referring too? or would you say I'm just out of that category? :shrug:

For me, it was a case of it being all I could afford and it visually looking like a nice copy besides the grade.

TOS39-Resized_zps8f7f3cba.jpg

Always thought 4.0 was my cutoff on the low end.

Then I bought my AF15 which is "only" a 2.5. Presents much, much better than that though. As others have said, if you're patient, you can find well presenting lower grade books. I've got no problem doing that. Especially since I can't afford and/or wouldn't pay the price on a higher grade key book.

I still wouldn't buy books with brittle pages, detached cover/pages, etc...

I have a 1.5 Tales of Suspense 39 that I cracked for Stan Lee, and was so stressful to hold it for me, it didn't fall apart on me, but I was really worried lol… But I think it presents quite nice, and I got it because it was all I could afford. Is this the sort of thing you're referring too? or would you say I'm just out of that category? :shrug:

For me, it was a case of it being all I could afford and it visually looking like a nice copy besides the grade.

That's pretty nice looking for a 1.5, but it's flirting with the bottom level of what I'd still find desirable to own. If it's going to live in a slab, which yours obviously will because of the SS, it's a little less of an issue, but if it were blue label I'd want to crack it and be able to flip through it from time to time. A book like yours has some issues that would scare me if I were going to do that.

That's pretty nice looking for a 1.5, but it's flirting with the bottom level of what I'd still find desirable to own. If it's going to live in a slab, which yours obviously will because of the SS, it's a little less of an issue, but if it were blue label I'd want to crack it and be able to flip through it from time to time. A book like yours has some issues that would scare me if I were going to do that.

To each his own I guess, I'd treat that beater ToS39 like an elegant woman if I owned it lol I'm a low grade key lover from way back. No discrimination here.

Everyone's looking for that perfect 10...I'd take two 4s and a deuce any day. :headbang:

This thread needs more pictures. I love this copy as it got me an affordable Hulk 181 signed by the late Herb Trimpe. The only thing wrong with it is the MVS and 2 panels were cut out of an ad page not affecting the story.

Hulk%20181_zpsrh8jd5wr.png

I dig low grade well loved books! (thumbs u

They allow me to own books I always wanted at a fraction of the cost. It's not about the specific number grade CGC puts on the book, instead it's about specific flaws that bother you.

I avoid tape and writing on the front cover. No Spider-Man with a moustache or "Bob" written on the cover. ;)

I try to find books with the main characters on the front in good shape. The creases or damage are on the edges and corners instead of through the main character. (No creases through the monsters mouth on my FF#1) 2c

Here are 4 "keys" I own in the CGC 1.5 to 1.8 range:

comics%20-%20Copy_zpsawqep51z.jpg

They allow me to own books I always wanted at a fraction of the cost. It's not about the specific number grade CGC puts on the book, instead it's about specific flaws that bother you.

I avoid tape and writing on the front cover. No Spider-Man with a moustache or "Bob" written on the cover. ;)

I try to find books with the main characters on the front in good shape. The creases or damage are on the edges and corners instead of through the main character. (No creases through the monsters mouth on my FF#1) 2c

Well chosen books!

Well chosen books!

Absolutely! :applause:

Well chosen books!

Absolutely! :applause:

Gorgeous examples, I'd be proud to own any of them, and I already have an AF15 1.5!

I never expected to own an AF15 in any condition, but ran across one at a price I could afford, so I bought it... It's already worth about twice what I paid for it, and it is likely the only copy I would ever run across that I could afford. I look at it and smile whenever I see it. It's beat, but complete, and since it's slabbed, I won't be handling it any time soon

EXACTLY where I am with my 0.5 COW (I say that with :luhv: ). Both covers are detached, but it's complete with zero stains or tape. I have several various reprints of the story, so that's what I read. And anyway, even if my AF15 were a 5.0, I'd still read the reprints. It needed a loving home where it would be wanted and appreciated,

syr2NTb.jpg

However, I put AF15 on a level all its own. Of the keys on my wishlist, the only other book I'd be willing to own in similar condition would be maybe FF1. ASM1 would "need" to be 1.0 minimum, and Avengers1 2.0 minimum.

I love the low grade books period. I admit I buy whatever I can afford but, when it comes to keys, I always love the low grade more. I would have to sell off most of my collections, to afford the big keys I want. I'm looking at you tec 27 and batman 1 lol .