• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWBN 32 CLUB
9 9

334 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Comicdey said:

With the recent heat.  Gotta post my three raw again.  Some day they will be in high grade slabs 👍

26301AC6-5160-4C9A-848E-B993064751B7.jpeg

You should have sold me those also

On 3/5/2019 at 1:31 PM, Silveriderpanther said:

I was expecting somewhere in the ballpark of 20-30k but I was simply dumbfounded by 50k. Some naysayers are calling shenanigans. I think it's more likely that someone recognized that 9.8's are scarce and probably is also banking on a MCU appearance at some point.

I would have to say that your definition of scarce would be different from my definition of scarce.  (shrug)

According to the CGC population census report, there are already 17 other CGC 9.8 graded copies of this particular issue, plus another 72 CGC 9.6 graded copies which owners might think of trying to upgrade now that they have seen the %50K price tag on this copy here.  Plus all of the other raw uber HG copies still sitting out there in private collections waiting to be graded and slabbed.  hm

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would have to say that your definition of scarce would be different from my definition of scarce.  (shrug)

According to the CGC population census report, there are already 17 other CGC 9.8 graded copies of this particular issue, plus another 72 CGC 9.6 graded copies which owners might think of trying to upgrade now that they have seen the %50K price tag on this copy here.  Plus all of the other raw uber HG copies still sitting out there in private collections waiting to be graded and slabbed.  hm

If there is only 18 of something in the world that is wanted by collectors..I would say that is exceedingly rare. The 72 9.6 don’t count because they’re not 9.8 and may never be. Same for any raws out there. If they find a warehouse full of wwbn32 and 100 of them come back 9.8 then that’s a different story but highly doubtful. 

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

If there is only 18 of something in the world that is wanted by collectors..I would say that is exceedingly rare. The 72 9.6 don’t count because they’re not 9.8 and may never be. Same for any raws out there. If they find a warehouse full of wwbn32 and 100 of them come back 9.8 then that’s a different story but highly doubtful. 

Also how many of those 9.6 have been resubbed multiple times and not taken out of census?  9.8 is probably the best indication as few people i hope resubmit 9.8

10 hours ago, jason4 said:
On 3/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are talking about the entire world which has a population of almost 8 billion people, I would have to say that the entire 8 million print run of Jim Lee's X-Men #1 could also then be seen as exceedingly rare.  lol

Seriously though, something that's ever more rarer than the 18 copies of WWBM #32 in CGC 9.8 is to find 17 other collectors in the entire world that would be willing to pay anything even remotely close to $50K for a copy of this book in CGC 9.8 graded condition.  hm

10 hours ago, jason4 said:

My buddy has a beautiful 9.6 but it won’t bump to a 9.8 even with the best pressing.

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are talking about the entire world which has a population of almost 8 billion people, I would have to say that the entire 8 million print run of Jim Lee's X-Men #1 could also then be seen as exceedingly rare.  lol

Seriously though, something that's ever more rarer than the 18 copies of WWBM #32 in CGC 9.8 is to find 17 other collectors in the entire world that would be willing to pay anything even remotely close to $50K for a copy of this book in CGC 9.8 graded condition.  hm

No I’m talking about comic book collectors not the entire world. If something came out today with a print run of 18 copies it would be next to impossible to get one if it was a highly desired 1st appearance. I know of some statues that had only 400 created I used to collect and those were extremely hard to find let alone for a good price. 

Time will tell if the 50k price will stick....how long will it be until another one even comes up for sale? Again showing my first point or how rare this book is in 9.8. Clearly moon knight has a dedicated following.

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, there's at least one other - the underbidder

12 hours ago, jason4 said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No I’m talking about comic book collectors not the entire world. If something came out today with a print run of 18 copies it would be next to impossible to get one if it was a highly desired 1st appearance. I know of some statues that had only 400 created I used to collect and those were extremely hard to find let alone for a good price. 

Time will tell if the 50k price will stick....how long will it be until another one even comes up for sale? Again showing my first point or how rare this book is in 9.8. Clearly moon knight has a dedicated following.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  (thumbsu

Personally, I have never really found record setting prices for "highest graded copies" as impressive as say stratospheric prices achieved for say the 20th highest graded copy or the 50th highest graded copy of a particular book.  For example, although I was certainly surprised and impressed with the $50K WWBM 32 auction result, I was actually more impressed by the CL auction result for the following book here:

RAD729A2201927_133651.jpg

This book managed to fetch $5,526 for what is tied for the 22nd highest graded copy and with a condition guide value of only $850.  A result like this indicates that it's really more about the book itself, as opposed to the so-called "highest graded copy" when it seems to have so much more to do about the label instead of the underlying book itself. hm

But, it's really a case of to each, their own, I would have to say and whatever floats your boat as it's you that's paying for the book.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Jterp5 said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

On the day after now and with some sobering second thoughts, what's the chance that the underbidder is actually ecstatic that somebody else fortunately came in and took out his high bid?  hm  lol

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 3/8/2019 at 6:55 AM, Jterp5 said:
On 3/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, lou_fine said:

On the day after now and with some sobering second thoughts, what's the chance that the underbidder is actually ecstatic that somebody else fortunately came in and took out his high bid?  hm  lol

Which brings to mind this following not quite so perfectly wrapped book here:

iro1.5897a.jpg

Any bets as to who's happier today...........the lucky winner of this "once in a lifetime" CGC single highest graded copy in the universe (at the time) who had to fork over $15K for this copy back in 2016 or the not so lucky underbidder who unfortunately lost out on this book here?  hm   :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Juuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside (GPA & current expectations)!