• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will this finally be the year? posted by DBoy

6 posts in this topic

And the countdown begins.

For the past 3 years I have been trying so hard to complete my Marvel vs DC set in the competitive set category and it seemed like an uphill battle all the way. At first I hand picked every copy including the free preview issue and submitted them to CGC for grading waaaay back when. I was very happy when they all came back 9.8 except the free preview issue which received an 8.5 but that's fine as long as I had it graded I was happy until that dreadful day when XXpheonix knocked me out of first place by boasting about it in one of his journals by getting a higher grade on it. I started to think I was never going to be able to retain the first place position again until I came across a really nice copy of marvel vs DC preview so I submitted it to CGC hoping for atleast a tie but low and behold a 9.8! So now wing it's the only 9.8 copy in existence I felt like this is the wholey Grail of all comics in that category that is. But that just wasn't enough to win anything big from CGC except for a worthy notation on the boards. I decided to step it up a bit the following year and have them all signed by Stan Lee at NYCC and Peter David and Joe Rubenstein. Ok great so I gave them to Desert winds to crack out for me and give them in to be signed except for the free preview issue because there was no way in Hell that book will ever be touched by human hand other than in its CGC slab. So off they go for Cracking, signing and regrading. Mind you all 4 were 9.8's when submitted to Desert winds but that wasn't the case when they came back. When I saw the grades my heart sand so deep I needed to get miners to bring it back up. Ok so these were the new grades with sigs now on them Marvel vs DC #1 9.8 ss #2 9.4 #3 9.8 and #4 9.6. So what do I do? I submitted them to CCS for pressing. So off they go with my fingers crossed hoping they can press them back to their original state. The submission was semi successful where as my #4 cam back to its original 9.8 glory but the #2 only received a 9.6! Really big bummer but that's ok because I found another 9.8 copy CGC graded and cracked it open and submitted it to NY Comics to get Stan Lee's signature on it again. I figured NY Comics would handle it better than Desert winds right? WRONG! NY Comics didn't do it either and again a 9.4! What the hell do I have to do to get a 9.8 on this book!?! So I submitted it again to CCS for pressing and let me just say I explained the situation to them over the phone and pointed out the defects to them by submitting a copy of the graders notes that I paid $5 for so that they can focus on where to press it the best. They did it fast and they did it perfectly! CGC also graded it quickly and behold finally a 9.8! The set is complete and ready to compete! Now all I hope for is that the judges see it and I will hopefully get the prestigious award of being either best presented or best modern set. I'm keeping my mangers crossed because the competition is feirce this year but I'll keep hope alive!

Thanks for reading.

See more journals by DBoy

Sounds like you've got it wrapped up unless someone comes with some CGC SS 9.9's or 10.0's.

Or if someone doubles you up with newsstand editions or the DCUniverse UPC variants.

first off, holy cow that was a lot of money spent. and you are just talking about marvel vs dc 1-4 right? not the amalgam books too? Uh Oh, hope I didn't give you any ideas. lol. second, ccs will press a book after it is graded? and if so do you have tp pay cgc again to reseal it?

hi DBoy!submiting books to CGC is like gambling:I submitted several hundreds books to CGC along the years and it doesn't matter how perfect your books look...you can always expect some unpleasant surprises...It's a pity that a Stan Lee Signature is worth only 4 points per book!About the DC Preview...9.8 is probably the perfection for the issue due to the attached card!CiaoFederico

And the countdown begins.

For the past 3 years I have been trying so hard to complete my Marvel vs DC set in the competitive set category and it seemed like an uphill battle all the way. At first I hand picked every copy including the free preview issue and submitted them to CGC for grading waaaay back when. I was very happy when they all came back 9.8 except the free preview issue which received an 8.5 but that's fine as long as I had it graded I was happy until that dreadful day when XXpheonix knocked me out of first place by boasting about it in one of his journals by getting a higher grade on it. I started to think I was never going to be able to retain the first place position again until I came across a really nice copy of marvel vs DC preview so I submitted it to CGC hoping for atleast a tie but low and behold a 9.8! So now wing it's the only 9.8 copy in existence I felt like this is the wholey Grail of all comics in that category that is. But that just wasn't enough to win anything big from CGC except for a worthy notation on the boards. I decided to step it up a bit the following year and have them all signed by Stan Lee at NYCC and Peter David and Joe Rubenstein. Ok great so I gave them to Desert winds to crack out for me and give them in to be signed except for the free preview issue because there was no way in Hell that book will ever be touched by human hand other than in its CGC slab. So off they go for Cracking, signing and regrading. Mind you all 4 were 9.8's when submitted to Desert winds but that wasn't the case when they came back. When I saw the grades my heart sand so deep I needed to get miners to bring it back up. Ok so these were the new grades with sigs now on them Marvel vs DC #1 9.8 ss #2 9.4 #3 9.8 and #4 9.6. So what do I do? I submitted them to CCS for pressing. So off they go with my fingers crossed hoping they can press them back to their original state. The submission was semi successful where as my #4 cam back to its original 9.8 glory but the #2 only received a 9.6! Really big bummer but that's ok because I found another 9.8 copy CGC graded and cracked it open and submitted it to NY Comics to get Stan Lee's signature on it again. I figured NY Comics would handle it better than Desert winds right? WRONG! NY Comics didn't do it either and again a 9.4! What the hell do I have to do to get a 9.8 on this book!?! So I submitted it again to CCS for pressing and let me just say I explained the situation to them over the phone and pointed out the defects to them by submitting a copy of the graders notes that I paid $5 for so that they can focus on where to press it the best. They did it fast and they did it perfectly! CGC also graded it quickly and behold finally a 9.8! The set is complete and ready to compete! Now all I hope for is that the judges see it and I will hopefully get the prestigious award of being either best presented or best modern set. I'm keeping my mangers crossed because the competition is feirce this year but I'll keep hope alive!

Thanks for reading.

See more journals by DBoy

first off, holy cow that was a lot of money spent. and you are just talking about marvel vs dc 1-4 right? not the amalgam books too? Uh Oh, hope I didn't give you any ideas. lol. second, ccs will press a book after it is graded? and if so do you have tp pay cgc again to reseal it?

You know you are obsessed when you spend that kind of money pressing and grading those books. Glad you finally accomplished your goal though, and best of luck on the awards.