• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most overrated and underrated characters in comic books..

62 posts in this topic

Not sure how Batman is overrated.

Hey, opinions are opinions I guess.

Also, why does BA 12 and NM 98 command a pretty penny in high grade? Hell, mid-grades are going for a descent buck. I guess it "pays" to be overrated lol.

Edited by CxG Voodoo Doll

Underrated: Gambit, Daredevil, Cable, Silver Surfer

Overrated: Harley Quinn (it's true, but I still like her), Inhumans, Suicide Squad, Rocket Raccoon

What about Batgirl?

I'm a Harley fan but agree she's overrated... Particularly as the "cultural icon" she has become. Crazy... (no pun intended).

Batgirl...? Stephanie Brown was underrated as Batgirl. As for Barbara Gordon... The need for a new direction would suggest she probably isn't too overrated... ;)

Overrated: Captain America

Underrated: Fly, Jaguar, Rex the Wonder Dog, Howdy Doody, D ick Tracy, Blondie & Dagwood, Fox & the Crow, Goofy, Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost, Heckle & Jeckle, Brer Rabbit, Lorna the Jungle Girl, Kid Colt Outlaw, Wyatt Earp, Cave Carson, Sea Devils, Space Ranger, Felix the Cat, Deputy Dawg

:wink:

Edited by Hepcat

Maybe overrated and over-saturated are being mixed up.

Wolverine was everywhere and in every Marvel title in the early 90's. He went from my favorite to "meh" because he was everywhere. Not everyone knew what to do with him, so he was anywhere from his 80's awesomeness to a caricature. I didn't like Gambit and he was big when he showed up. To me, he was Deadpool before Deadpool was Deadpool. I don't mean they share similarities, but more like "here's a full-of-himself character I care nothing about being shoved down our throats as the next big thing." Is see the Deadpool appeal, though. I'm not a fan, but I do like the comedy he injects into titles. Especially while working with the Avengers. 

I think HQ has been over-saturated for a while now. I hesitate to say overrated, because I think she's had a positive impact on just about everything I've read that she's been in. 

I think a lot of this is cyclical. Characters sometimes change from over to under and back. 

Punisher was overrated for a long time, but I kinda like his role in the Savage Avengers story line. 

Ghost Rider has been hit or miss, but I really dig the "Ghost Riders through history" approach we've seen in the Avengers most recent volume. 

Maybe you're overrated if you're undeservedly over-saturated? Joker falls under this category for me. He's good in doses and can be done right, but sometimes he's just a stock character who says what he's expected to say and do. 

Overrated Id have to say Harley Quin and gwenpool. Although I will admit I have no idea really who gwenpool is. I just kinda see here everywhere when people are talking about modern comics. so take that as a grain of salt.It's more over saturated kinda like the wolvie example above.

Underrated. Sub Mariner and Green Arrow seem to go through peaks and valleys of popularity which is a shame. Multiple Man is one character who I always kinda liked who never seemed to make it past C tier. When I was younger I always thought that would be a fun power.

7 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Underrated: 

Darkseid

I’ve always thought he’s one of the greatest comic characters ever created.

Intimidating evil.

Edited by Ken Aldred