• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most overrated and underrated characters in comic books..

62 posts in this topic

Looks like popular=overrated
Not really. Joker is overrated because he's simply insane and flamboyant = easily caught or killed.

Besides, insanity isn't really the mirror-opposite of Batman's principled dedication. IMHO that would also be dedication, but w/ opposing principles... Batman's mirror = a Punisher-type killer.

Joker should've lasted a single outing, 75 years is, yep, 'overrated'.

I wouldn't say The Joker is overrated as much as he is overexposed, and frequently in a unimaginative way. "Hey I'm an insane homicidal maniac, try and catch me before I kill more people - just like you did two months ago - and two months before that", and on infinitum.

Sometimes it makes me long for the late GA thru SA Joker who was more intent on elaborate pranks to humiliate Batman. As a kid I was thrilled when Batman #251 came out, and we saw the return of the Joker I'd seen reading my FFE of Batman #1, and for along time I loved him as a villain, but now he just seems like a marketing gimmick.

Admittedly, I don't think I've read a Joker story in probably a decade, so maybe writers have gotten more inventive with the character, but cover appearances I've seen seem to focus mostly on his insanity, so I'm doubtful.

Harley Quinn is wacky and she kills people

What else does she do?

That makes her super popular? I say over rated. As in, sure lots of people like her but there's not much to her character.

Harley Quinn is wacky and she kills people

What else does she do?

That makes her super popular? I say over rated. As in, sure lots of people like her but there's not much to her character.

In Harley's original Animated Series incarnation she was a fairly rich character. Psychiatrist at Arkham who Joker was able to mentally manipulate and psychologically seduce.

So she was a tragic character, one of Joker's countless victims, and Batman cut her some slack because of it. Joker treated her like a slightly interesting cute plaything. A curvy quirky minion who adored him, but a minion none the less.

Since then she's devolved into a curiosity with a Frederick's of Hollywood fashion sense, more Kardashian than Quinzel.

Huh.

I have to admit now that I've never read anything with HQ in it

Huh.

I have to admit now that I've never read anything with HQ in it

Keep in mind Harley's rapid evolution happened across multiple platforms. The gaming culture and their designers had their way with her, multiple comic book artists and writers, cosplayers had their way, a bit of tv in Birds of Prey. With DC probably approving anything that helped popularized the character.

Skin is in, sex sells, marketing 101, make it happen. To the point of becoming Ellie May Clampett traipsing around in Daisy Dukes with a baseball bat on her shoulder. Go figure.

cool thread bro!heres my picks:

underrated: :headbang:

Deadman

Animal Man

Moon Knight

Swamp Thing

Hawkman

Man thing

Morbius The Vampire

whole Valiant comics roster (till movies come out lol)

Fear Agent

Robbie reyes Ghost Rider

Overrated: meh

Deadpool

Batman( love em but still)

Harley Quinn

robin

iron man

Underrated: Sunspot, Pete Wisdom, Agent Venom, Scarlet Spider, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Spider-Man 2099, Richard Rider, Hank Pym, Gambit (for now...)

Overrated (I like all of these, but I like them in small doses or co-starring roles): Iron Man, Harley Quinn, Rocket/Groot, Medusa, Wolverine

Underrated: Sunspot, Pete Wisdom, Agent Venom, Scarlet Spider, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Spider-Man 2099, Richard Rider, Hank Pym, Gambit (for now...)

Overrated (I like all of these, but I like them in small doses or co-starring roles): Iron Man, Harley Quinn, Rocket/Groot, Medusa, Wolverine

yes groot is seriously overrated right now how can he hold his own series?smh

Edited by mob_medina7

Groot is just the Hulk

Don't know why everyone's so ga-ga over him