• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Expo (Dallas Comicon) -- June 3-5, 2016

212 posts in this topic

Just announced:

CHLOE BENNETT

Skye/Daisy, Agents of SHIELD

I've got some comics guests to add - they aren't on the site yet - you found out here first:

JIM CHEUNG

FCBD Civil War 2

AGNES GARBOWSKA

Grumpy Cat

ANDREW & DANITA MANGUM

The Comic Creator list for this show is pretty lackluster, especially when compared to some other shows that FanExpo produces. Is Dallas a bad market for that segment? It's just been a little disappointing to watch.

In what universe is Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane, Klaus Janson, J. Scott Campbell, Dan Slott, Brian Azzarello, Joe Mad, Andy Kubert, etc "lackluster"? You must set a pretty high bar for your guest lists before you'll get excited.

Miller and McFarlane are great gets for sure, but both are one day guests and without paying extra (Miller), it'll be a long day of waiting to get a single signature. None of those guys you listed (understanding that some are writers) except for Joe Mad do any sketches at the show (maybe Campbell, but it depends on how busy he is otherwise and then it's only a few per day), which is half the fun of meeting the artists. About half the rest of the list have already been to a Dallas show at least once or more in the last year.

For comparison sake, just look at the MegaCon list which has over twice as many creator guests. I saw Fan Expo post on facebook in response to someone that they are different shows, and they have different guest goals etc. And maybe that's really what I'm trying to figure out, is Dallas just a less desirable market for the comic creators to visit, or is fan Expo just less interested in the comic side of things for this show?

No, I wouldn't say Dallas is a less desirable market for the comic creators to visit. It's a matter of budget, estimated attendance, show goals and so on. If I were to rank our shows based on attendance - Toronto (September), Orlando, Dallas, Vancouver, Toronto (March), and Regina, and then the Fan Days events in Orlando and Dallas. The bigger a show's attendance, the larger the budget is. So if Dallas continues to grow the more money will be made available that can be spent on comics creators. Megacon and Fan Expo Canada are four days shows with more than 20+ years of traditions and growth behind them.

But honestly dude, I'm upset that you aren't excited by this list:

Stan Lee

Frank Miller

Todd McFarlane

J. Scott Campbell

Leinil Francis Yu

Joe Mad

Humberto Ramos

Andy Kubert

Dan Slott

Klaus Janson

Ryan Ottley

Greg Pak

Tony Harris

Jim Cheung

Cary Nord

Andrew Robinson

Brian Azzarello

Neal Adams

and more

And I see a lot of people on that list that will be sketching...

Just announced:

CHLOE BENNETT

I've got some comics guests to add - they aren't on the site yet - you found out here first:

JIM CHEUNG

FCBD Civil War 2

AGNES GARBOWSKA

Grumpy Cat

ANDREW & DANITA MANGUM

The Comic Creator list for this show is pretty lackluster, especially when compared to some other shows that FanExpo produces. Is Dallas a bad market for that segment? It's just been a little disappointing to watch.

In what universe is Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane, Klaus Janson, J. Scott Campbell, Dan Slott, Brian Azzarello, Joe Mad, Andy Kubert, etc "lackluster"? You must set a pretty high bar for your guest lists before you'll get excited.

Miller and McFarlane are great gets for sure, but both are one day guests and without paying extra (Miller), it'll be a long day of waiting to get a single signature. None of those guys you listed (understanding that some are writers) except for Joe Mad do any sketches at the show (maybe Campbell, but it depends on how busy he is otherwise and then it's only a few per day), which is half the fun of meeting the artists. About half the rest of the list have already been to a Dallas show at least once or more in the last year.

For comparison sake, just look at the MegaCon list which has over twice as many creator guests. I saw Fan Expo post on facebook in response to someone that they are different shows, and they have different guest goals etc. And maybe that's really what I'm trying to figure out, is Dallas just a less desirable market for the comic creators to visit, or is fan Expo just less interested in the comic side of things for this show?

No, I wouldn't say Dallas is a less desirable market for the comic creators to visit. It's a matter of budget, estimated attendance, show goals and so on. If I were to rank our shows based on attendance - Toronto (September), Orlando, Dallas, Vancouver, Toronto (March), and Regina, and then the Fan Days events in Orlando and Dallas. The bigger a show's attendance, the larger the budget is. So if Dallas continues to grow the more money will be made available that can be spent on comics creators. Megacon and Fan Expo Canada are four days shows with more than 20+ years of traditions and growth behind them.

Stan Lee

Frank Miller

Todd McFarlane

J. Scott Campbell

Leinil Francis Yu

Joe Mad

Humberto Ramos

Andy Kubert

Dan Slott

Klaus Janson

Ryan Ottley

Greg Pak

Tony Harris

Jim Cheung

Cary Nord

Andrew Robinson

Brian Azzarello

Neal Adams

and more

And Jason Adams in Artist Alley, with originals, not many prints, mostly originals.

Just announced:

CHLOE BENNETT

JIM CHEUNG

FCBD Civil War 2

AGNES GARBOWSKA

Grumpy Cat

ANDREW & DANITA MANGUM

Stan Lee

Frank Miller

Todd McFarlane

J. Scott Campbell

Leinil Francis Yu

Joe Mad

Humberto Ramos

Andy Kubert

Dan Slott

Klaus Janson

Ryan Ottley

Greg Pak

Tony Harris

Jim Cheung

Cary Nord

Andrew Robinson

Brian Azzarello

Neal Adams

and more

Thank you for taking the time to answer with good information. I do hope that the show here continues to grow and more comic guests can be added in the future. I'm sure I'm an anomaly in that I care nothing about any of the celebrities and am really only interested in the comic guests. I do understand that the organizers do their best with the guest list based on budget, availability, etc.

The Reverend Dave is a great addition too. I'll definitely be getting a sketch from him.

Just announced:

CHLOE BENNETT

JIM CHEUNG

FCBD Civil War 2

AGNES GARBOWSKA

Grumpy Cat

ANDREW & DANITA MANGUM

Stan Lee

Frank Miller

Todd McFarlane

J. Scott Campbell

Leinil Francis Yu

Joe Mad

Humberto Ramos

Andy Kubert

Dan Slott

Klaus Janson

Ryan Ottley

Greg Pak

Tony Harris

Jim Cheung

Cary Nord

Andrew Robinson

Brian Azzarello

Neal Adams

and more

Missing this show is probably the only thing I'm upset about with moving from Texas. I think it's going to be great, and I hope everyone has a lot of fun!

To be fair, being Texan and having been to Orlando multiple times, I would rather visit Orlando :P

but we have Whataburger so...

That is pretty spot on! lol

Of course, Orlando has butterbeer and Dole Whips, but Whataburger is pretty darn good.

To be fair, being Texan and having been to Orlando multiple times, I would rather visit Orlando :P

but we have Whataburger so...

That is pretty spot on! lol

Of course, Orlando has butterbeer and Dole Whips, but Whataburger is pretty darn good.

cheers.gif

We're 3 weeks out from the show.

Here are the show exclusive comics.

comic-civil-war-2-287x300.jpg

Civil War II #0 (color and b/w versions)

$15/$25

comic-civilwar-01-287x300.jpg

Civil War II #1 (color and b/w versions)

$15/$25

comic-spiderman-deadpool-198x300.jpg

Spider-Man / Deadpool #3

$15

comic-batman12-287x300.jpg

Batman Adventures #12 (color and holofoil versions)

$15/$30

comic-dk3-195x300.jpg

Dark Knight III: Master Race #4 (b/w version)

$15

comic-startrek-202x300.jpg

Star Trek Archives Hard Cover Edition

$35

comic-alicewonderland-colouringbook-231x300.jpg

Zenescope Adult Coloring Book

$25

Official Fan Expo merchandise is available in the main hallway and at the Fan Expo Stores located on the Exhibitor floor.

Man those exclusives look sexy, especially DKIII book #4 and the Spidey/DP #3. I'm so stoked to be getting Miller to sign my Wolverine #1 as for Stan Lee...I have a few big keys for him to sign as well.

I really like that other Civil War book from Humberto Ramos

Who's gonna be selling that book

Since Ramos is there, maybe that's being sold at his table exclusively?