• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Expo (Dallas Comicon) -- June 3-5, 2016

212 posts in this topic

Miller at Megacon and Dallas:

11am DC hosted DK3 panel at the panel autograph tickets handed out for the 4pm signing.

Noon private Platinum Experience panel and signing 3 items per person per creator. Not public.

Break

3pm celebrity q&a with Miller

4pm Miller public signing. 1 item per person, Miller Experience people plus VIP with ticket/wristband at the morning panel then anyone with a premium/deluxe/Saturday pass who got a ticket/wristband that was given at the morning panel - extra people were taken in after all ticketed and experience people let in. Klaus sat with Frank at the table in Dallas.

A DC Comics hosted panel was not part of the original plan, they came on board a couple of weeks before each event.

Thanks Kevin! Glad you are feeling better!

Do you know if there is only 1 Miller public signing or is there 1 each day in Toronto? Fan Experience was sold for Saturday and Sunday?

One day for sure, if it becomes two we'll figure that out.

For FanExpo Canada they only have 2 packages, Frank Miller & DK3 Platinum Experience $1295 CDN it's a meet and greet, that also includes a Miller sketch and they have the Frank Miller Fan Experience $129 CDN (preferred seating at Miller Panel and line bypass at Miller signing), no DK3 Team. No opportunity for 3 free sigs, only in the Platinum Experience.

:o What..?? One frickin' thousand and 295 loonies :screwy: for a Platinum Experience package!!? :whistle:

Good night, I think I saw enough 'Mystery Boxes' to last a lifetime. Is that the thing now to drop $30 at a Con on a chance at winning something big?

I'd rather use the cash on something I know I'm getting.

Just curious what others thought of the McFarlane panel. I've been a big fan of his art since his run on ASM but after his panel I'm an even bigger fan. For a guy that is as successful as he is you can tell he is still really driven. Overall a really cool guy and seemed to enjoy talking to fans.

For FanExpo Canada they only have 2 packages, Frank Miller & DK3 Platinum Experience $1295 CDN it's a meet and greet, that also includes a Miller sketch and they have the Frank Miller Fan Experience $129 CDN (preferred seating at Miller Panel and line bypass at Miller signing), no DK3 Team. No opportunity for 3 free sigs, only in the Platinum Experience.

:oWhat..?? One frickin' thousand and 295 loonies :screwy: for a Platinum Experience package!!? :whistle:

Yes, it was a drawing by lottery because of the demand. I think they capped it at 30 buyers.

Just curious what others thought of the McFarlane panel. I've been a big fan of his art since his run on ASM but after his panel I'm an even bigger fan. For a guy that is as successful as he is you can tell he is still really driven. Overall a really cool guy and seemed to enjoy talking to fans.

thought it was a great panel. he's very engaging and has a nice conversational way of addressing the crowd. Could have listened to him speak for a lot longer.

The wristband giveaway for signatures was a mess though and I felt badly that it ended that way, I just cut my losses and left, didn't feel like fighting the crowd for one, even though a signature would have been nice.

Good night, I think I saw enough 'Mystery Boxes' to last a lifetime. Is that the thing now to drop $30 at a Con on a chance at winning something big?

I'd rather use the cash on something I know I'm getting.

Exactly. But apparently enough con-goers are also gamblers to make that business model work. I didn't see as many people walking around with them as I have at past shows, so maybe they didn't sell many. (shrug)

I had planned to download all my photos and post a proper report, but it is getting too late in the week to worry about it.

Anyway, my 2c is that the 2016 version was a good show and I enjoyed the weekend very much. We had pretty good sales, if you don't count the utter wasteland of Saturday morning (not sure what happened there), but fell a bit shy of the 2015 total. Overall it was still a worthwhile show to do, and we will probably be back next year.

It seemed that there were fewer comic dealers than last year, which is unfortunate. As a comic buyer I still found plenty of good books and plenty of good deals, but if the number of dealers slides any more I would start to wonder whether it was worth my time or admission fee (if I were paying to get in). With the huge number of non-comic dealers there (i.e. candy, clothing, skin care, etc) it would seem that Fan Expo has taken a pretty strong step towards the Wizard model of running cons. As long as they don't slip the rest of the way, basically making the "comic" in comic con superfluous, then this will still be a show we circle on our calendars.