• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Expo (Dallas Comicon) -- June 3-5, 2016

212 posts in this topic

Just got an email announcing Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, and Michelle Gomez.

Coleman owed them a make-up date for cancelling last year. Hopefully she will show up this time...

I wanted to see her standing next to Karen Gillan.

Comicpalooza is having a transition year this time because of their dates, but it will be a god show anyway. Dallas is strong this time tho.

Dallas just added Jack Gleeson, if he doesn't cancel then I'll make the 7 hour drive.

How is this con compared to Comicpalooza in Houston? I think Comicpalooza is the next weekend?

Comicpalooza is two weeks after Dallas, over Father's Day weekend.

I can't speak to Comicpalooza, I've heard it is a good show but haven't been. We set up at last year's Dallas show, and will be setting up again this year. We had a great time at last year's show and sales were strong. There is a good contingent of comic dealers there, with a lot of books in the room. It isn't Chicago, but it is a very good show for books, memorabilia, and celebs.

How is this con compared to Comicpalooza in Houston? I think Comicpalooza is the next weekend?

I've been to both shows both years, and enjoyed them all. . . I had certain goals for Fan Expo and different goals for Comicpalooza. Oddly, the plans were the same both years.

2014: Fan Expo had the Firefly cast, and I had 9 autographs on my list. I spent the bulk of my time on that. Comicpalooza had most of the Agents of SHIELD, which was my primary focus, and the way it was set-up, I got them all in about 15 minutes. I had some time, so I added a few for friends.

2015: Fan Expo had a great mix with Carrie Fisher, Gillian Anderson, and two Doctor Who Companions. I had a shorter autograph list (5), but added two photo ops. Comicpalooza had Chloe Bennet, Hayley Atwell, Jeremy Renner, Rosario Dawson, and Cobie Smulders. Each of these guests were only here one day. I used facilitators for a couple of my autographs, and my brother had gotten one a couple of weeks earlier, so my autograph list was short (I think I only had 2). I had a couple of photo ops.

I bought books (>$100) and/or art commissions at both Comicpaloozas, but only smaller books at the Dallas shows (<$100). I found that I had more time to shop at Comicpalooza, because it was four days (it's three this year), but mostly because I spent less time in the signature areas.

Comicpalooza is easier for me, because it's less than 30 minutes (and with the new Metro rail line going right to GRB, I can park at work for free and ride), and I don't have to board my dogs.

Right now, Fan Expo is looking great. Comicpalooza has a few nice guests already, as well.

Comicpalooza is two weeks after Dallas, over Father's Day weekend.

I can't speak to Comicpalooza, I've heard it is a good show but haven't been. We set up at last year's Dallas show, and will be setting up again this year. We had a great time at last year's show and sales were strong. There is a good contingent of comic dealers there, with a lot of books in the room. It isn't Chicago, but it is a very good show for books, memorabilia, and celebs.

I do agree that it was a good show for books, I just didn't get to spend as much time on it or didn't have as much immediate cash on hand.

Friday only...I guess she doesn't want to miss the insanity going on in Philly the next day.

Hoping for some more out-of-the-box names like Cusack and Image people.

Yeah, the Philly lineup is pretty insane, Wizard pulled out just about all the stops there.

Here's :wishluck: that Fan Expo kills it with comic guests and some good non-MCU talent.

Three months from today! :banana: