• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

514 posts in this topic

Am I missing something here?  ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Girls-Romances-Silver-Age-Romance-Comics-Lot-Of-8-55-66-57-86-59-58-56-63-/352587045845?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

This went for a lot more than I was expecting given the condition of these books. My first thought was there was some Lichtenstein connection I wasn't aware of, but I haven't turned up anything. The #63 does have a great cover, but... I dunno, this seems high. I feel like there's something I don't know about these books. 

Maybe I am just underestimating the market though. It does feel like there's a bit of a swell in demand right now for SA romance stuff. Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Maybe I am just underestimating the market though. It does feel like there's a bit of a swell in demand right now for SA romance stuff. Thoughts?

DC romance is heating up for sure.  This is a decent lower to mid grade lot, seven 10 cent books in one place with decent covers and one big box 12 center which are desirable too.  The front covers are all in place and not showing any egregious defects, the back covers less so but back covers usually don't get the weight they deserve.  btw, the 10 cent back covers are outstanding house ads, worth collecting for themselves alone. 

So $15 a piece to save the trouble of hunting them down individually, not too bad. 

That's really cool, I would have bought that in a heartbeat as well.

No pun intended. (thumbsu

I picked up something a little weird off ebay, it hasn't arrived yet. But it's a production photograph negative from Charlton - I guess they photographed the books in order to... make these plates, I'm guessing? The one I got is bronze age - and the dealer has plenty more on ebay - from one of my favorite romance storylines. I'll be sharing it when it arrives!

I've also picked up some cool silver romance recently, I just haven't had a chance to scan them. When I do, I'll be sharing them here. There's a fantastic sales thread on the boards with a ton of awesome silver romance, so I know people here have been acquiring some great books!

Edited by Crimebuster

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, Crimebuster said:

I think it's cool!  (thumbsu

The Bronze thread has gotten buried, but here it is:  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/242296-post-your-bronze-romance-books/

oh by not careing i ment posting a non SA book in a SA thread, people always love double covers though

I'm still focused on Bronze Age romance, but I'm starting to get my checklist pretty whittled down, so my eye is beginning to turn towards Silver Age. 

I dipped my toe into some ebay auctions recently, and onto some sales threads here on the boards, and wooooof! Demand for these books seems to be rising pretty fast, some of the prices were definitely a ways above what I was expecting. Time to get more familiar with Silver Age before it's too late!

After seeing some of the sales, I decided to pull the trigger on some books that I've had my eye on for awhile at some local shops before someone else bought them. 

Here are a few of the books I picked up:

temp1.jpg

Charlton has some great early Silver Age covers! And some great late SA covers just before the transition to Bronze. 

The middle of the Silver Age is a wasteland, though. The period where they were breaking the cover up into little boxes, and adding tons of text, is just a mess. Years worth of terrible, ruined covers.

But the era before and after that has some real gems. 

I've got one in the mail right now, which I will be posting as soon as it arrives. 

Edited by Crimebuster

While DC romance is being all prim and proper, Chalton stumbles in like the drunk sister at a wedding reception, causing a scene and spilling the dirt. 

Here's another cover you're not going to be seeing on a SA DC or Marvel romance book:

temp1.jpg

The story inside is basically an African Queen ripoff. It does include a sequence where some leering Japanese soldiers try to drag her into the underbrush. Luckily, the dude fights them off. 

This issue also has a story where a pregnant woman trips over her dog and almost has a miscarriage. She is rushed to the hospital for an emergency delivery, and has a vision of the angel of Death coming for her baby. 

CHARLTON COMICS!!

Edited by Crimebuster