• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

513 posts in this topic

Hey Silver! Perfect setup.

If it's silver we're talking about, and scarce silver, then mention must be made of the one romance publisher who was a silver only house (more or less). Robert Farrell and Ajax.

1954-1958. 10 titles, 70 issues. It would be a task for a completist, and if you throw grade into the mix...Since 2000, just one Ajax romance slab. And I wish it were mine, cause it's for a black cover sweetie, My Personal Problem #1. But it's not mine, so I guess I'll keep this one!

MyPersonalProblem01fc_zpsz2aybhhf.jpg

AllTrueRomance23f_zps5bnczorq.jpg

Which reminds me of this crazy Harry Anderson book. I can't get a credit on the Ajax books, partly because they were Iger studio? But the style is consistent, and it's not a house style I can identify from another romance artist or publisher. If you've got an idea please shout it out.

LoveJournal10fc100_zps42b741a9.jpg

Here's a Quality run. This publisher helped make me the Dr. Love I am today. I was walking by Harley Yee's booth at a con twenty some odd years ago when I saw a Quality romance book on the rack. The cover POPPED, the colors were deep, glossy, vibrant. The notion of a love comic was so ridiculous that I stared and then laughed! How strange! I bought two as a goof and I'm still buying today.

Quality didn't seem to get the memo that a new Age in comics had begun. Sure they slapped the seal on, but it was still the Quality of the late 40's and early 50's on the covers and in-between. Which is why I love them - they have a very glitzy old school GA feel. Like a big production MGM movie.

Especially when the cover is shocking pink!

LoveLetters47fc100_zpsdrwhave4.jpg