• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

514 posts in this topic

Nice pickups Sqeggs! and Croc on the Falling in Love 1! That is a tough book for sure. I've never seen it in really high grade.

While DC's formula was heartbreak, Atlas mixed it up. We'll never know the specifics but I think that when Colletta got control of artistic direction he took it to a place more consistent with his temperment: upbeat and optimistic.

Reaching for the brass ring. "wonderful things happen...when you fall in love!"

Loves81fc101_zps3b8a7708.jpg

:cloud9:

Great books from Doc and Sqeggs, eh?!!!

Yes, absolutely amazing. I've just started to gain some interest in Romance books, and am shocked at all the good titles and long runs out there. There are some beautiful books in this thread!

Yes, absolutely amazing. I've just started to gain some interest in Romance books, and am shocked at all the good titles and long runs out there. There are some beautiful books in this thread!

.... just make sure you don't look at the Baker thread in the GA Forum...... or you'll never save another dime again. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My hat's off to whoever preserved all these Silver Age DC romance books in such nice condition.

They weren't "preserved", they just weren't opened! Incredible condition on them! (thumbs u

I think it may show that by the late 1960s there were at least a few people who were saving (unread!) every book that came out.

When Heritage auctioned the Don and Maggie books, were there romance books included? I don't recall seeing them, so I think not. They did have some not-widely collected books -- like Sugar and Spike -- but I think even they drew the line at romance!

Yeah, it's very interesting that some time in the early 1970s (I think Dr Love has identified the last romance book published, but I forget which it was) this genre just came to a complete stop after a 25 year run.

These books were (I assume) on the stands in the heart of my comic buying mania as a kid, yet I honestly don't recall having ever seen them. Maybe they were kept with the teen mags? hm

Or maybe they were there with the other comics but I didn't pay any attention to them.

I'm pretty sure romance comics were invisible if you were a 12 year old boy. In my own memory I recall going from reading nothing but Harvey until I was nine, to never seeing them again.

That's probably it. I can remember going carefully through the racks looking for oddball titles -- like the erratically issued Gold Key M.A.R.S. Patrol -- but I just don't remember seeing romance books. But I probably looked past them like they weren't there. :D

Had to buy one or two of those HA books myself. Always loved the Abruzzo cover - the color purple! and the classic Adams - RED RUM

SecretHearts131f_zpsm5izxiiy.jpg

HeartThrobs120fc_zpsqwaz9ycx.jpg

...that's a pretty hard edge to that Adams cover.... never saw that one before... GOD BLESS...

HeartThrobs120fc_zpsqwaz9ycx.jpg

...that's a pretty hard edge to that Adams cover.... never saw that one before... GOD BLESS...

Very cool cover. I imagine the next one won't be nearly as cheap now that it just went on a couple dozen want lists.

Very cool cover. I imagine the next one won't be nearly as cheap now that it just went on a couple dozen want lists.

Yeh, the HA prices were kinda low for some of these books. Especially this one. It has long been considered a big get for Adams fans who are into romance - but I guess all three of them were doing something else that night! HA can be real hit or miss for romance.