• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

513 posts in this topic

And these back covers were great. National Romance Group, baby! :D

Collectively the best back cover ads of any romance publisher.

DCRomanceBack.jpg

Hat tip with ruffles and flourishes to the good Dr for his assistance in assembling these. (worship)

Wonderful!

DCRomanceBack.jpg

Hat tip with ruffles and flourishes to the good Dr for his assistance in assembling these. (worship)

Well, hat tip with truffles and garnishes to the good adamstrange :acclaim: for educating me on the logo designer and letterer who defined the DC Comics house style for thirty years. He designed the world-famous Action Comics logo, as well as scores of others for the company. And, of course, the gorgeous back covers you're seeing.

Ira Schapp.

In 1911, while still only 19 years old, Schnapp was hired to hand-carve the engraving on the front of the main branch of the New York Public Library.

In 1914 he was hired as a stone carver for the post office. Schnapp personally designed the lettering, and hand-carved, the famous slogan "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" in the facade of the James Farley General Post Office.

and so on. A Renaissance man. Find out much more about him here

Ira Schnapp, The Visionary

61e894b6-21e9-46ce-854d-ba51c0f2c357_zpsfvymvx46.jpg

DCRomanceBack.jpg

I agree! DC house ads were the best ones of them all, romance and otherwise, and the man who made them happen was Ira Schnapp!

:luhv:

Edited by Hepcat

GL 76. Conan 1. There are a select few candidates, but no definitive book to mark the Bronze Age, they say.

For romance there is. And this is it. Seven years as first the journeyman then the master romance guy for DC, three years crafting a delicious Gwen Stacy for teenage Spidey fans, all lead to this iconic romance image by John Romita.

And so begins the start of the end of the great Romance genre. My Love #1. Many years ago it was very difficult to find in uber grade. Now, eazy peazy. If you collect romance, you need this book. Well, not this book - but with 19 slabbed copies in grade (9.0+) and more raw than that, it can be done for relatively little $.

mylove1nmfc100a_zps14e52426.jpg

GL 76. Conan 1. There are a select few candidates, but no definitive book to mark the Bronze Age, they say.

For romance there is. And this is it. Seven years as first the journeyman then the master romance guy for DC, three years crafting a delicious Gwen Stacy for teenage Spidey fans, all lead to this iconic romance image by John Romita.

And so begins the start of the end of the great Romance genre. My Love #1. Many years ago it was very difficult to find in uber grade. Now, eazy peazy. If you collect romance, you need this book. Well, not this book - but with 19 slabbed copies in grade (9.0+) and more raw than that, it can be done for relatively little $.

mylove1nmfc100a_zps14e52426.jpg

Awesome book!

I also picked up a Charlton romance book, recently. It hasn't arrived, yet, and I haven't seen even a scan... but there was a very beat copy that sold on eBay a couple days ago... which prompted me to look around on the web for a nicer copy... and I found one.

Until it arrives, here is the GCD scan:

160758.jpg.a24d798dd57aa4a93d0d949848cd9d94.jpg

GCD is off on these. While Giordano got the title off the ground to great effect, later it was either all Colleta or Sinnott and Colleta. No Giordano on the #13, which is just a fantastic cover, one of my favorites. The couple in the background is as classic Colletta as it gets.

You guys have good eyes. The Sweethearts 25 is one of the top 20 GGA type romance covers going. Ray Osrin's inks/colors are beautiful. Look for him in cover collaborations, no matter the genre.

GCD is off on these. While Giordano got the title off the ground to great effect, later it was either all Colleta or Sinnott and Colleta. No Giordano on the #13, which is just a fantastic cover, one of my favorites. The couple in the background is as classic Colletta as it gets.

You guys have good eyes. The Sweethearts 25 is one of the top 20 GGA type romance covers going. Ray Osrin's inks/colors are beautiful. Look for him in cover collaborations, no matter the genre.

And, of course, Osrin was a favorite inker of Baker's work. Together they did "It Rhymes With Lust".

And, of course, Osrin was a favorite inker of Baker's work. Together they did "It Rhymes With Lust".

Osrin was amazing. His friendship with Baker is a touching story.