• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

513 posts in this topic

Art Capello with an iconic romance comic image, of a girl, suffering - done dirty by her own sister, for Gods sake

contains these three recurring artistic elements:

a mandatory tear

one hand, clenched in pain, held to mouth to stifle the sobs waiting to come out

the other hand, fingers spread, to ward off the pain coming her way

SecretRomance13fc100_zps7cuybszv.jpg

hey Prune

For the first 15 years I was going as a completist for all romance, regardless of Age.  Eventually that goal became prohibitive, and BA was moved aside in favor of GA and SA.  It wasn't a hard decision.  Artistically I favor the earlier work.

Having said that, there are still some BA books I own and adore.  Certain Romita Marvels, some Cardy DC's, and especially surprisingly some Charlton stuff is off the wall.  And Gothic romance is a trip unto itself.

HauntedLove05fc_zpsvdpwfppx.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

hey Prune

For the first 15 years I was going as a completist for all romance, regardless of Age.  Eventually that goal became prohibitive, and BA was moved aside in favor of GA and SA.  It wasn't a hard decision.  Artistically I favor the earlier work.

Having said that, there are still some BA books I own and adore.  Certain Romita Marvels, some Cardy DC's, and especially surprisingly some Charlton stuff is off the wall.  And Gothic romance is a trip unto itself.

HauntedLove05fc_zpsvdpwfppx.jpg

Great stuff. How far along are you in your quest for the Gold and Silver books? It is an incredible undertaking. Just the 7 DC titles in the Silver age is quite an undertaking.

If you don’t mind me asking, what grade is your Falling in Love 99? Hoping it’s the lone 9.6. :wishluck:

Thanks for your interest, bro.  I love talking about this stuff, so feel free to ask whatever you'd like. (thumbsu

Partly the quest began when I became interested in collecting again in the 90's, after a decade or two absence while I was pursuing a career, raising a family, etc.  When I got into it again, the books of my youth, my favorite Marvel SA superhero keys, were no longer affordable in the condition I was interested in.  So I stumbled almost as a mistake onto romance.  Cruising at a Con, looking at wall books.

Of course no one, and I mean no one, starts off collecting romance, unless perhaps you were a teenage girl in the early 1950's.  And almost none of them held onto the books they bought.  In all my years of collecting, I had never even seen a romance book before, so when I first glimpsed a tearful girl on a GA cover I did what most of us do:  I laughed and laughed.  And then intrigued, I bought.  How strange!  How ridiculous!  What started out as a quirky purchase turned into an interesting side thing and then eventually became a 25 year passion.  It's a real challenge to find high grade romance, those two things don't really go together.

It showed me that there are always collecting challenges one could take up if you're pushed or priced out of your "first" comic choice.  Over time I've ended up going after many genres I never would have considered years ago:  promos, westerns, funny animals, etc.  If you dig comics, there are almost endless opportunities to scratch that collecting itch.  For better or worse! 

I got as far along as one could have, considering the condition bar I set.  Some years ago I made a decision to cut the collection back, and over time I've placed a fair amount of books into the hands of fellow collectors on these boards, friends who have come to appreciate romance as I have.  Keeping it in the family, so to speak, which has been a great joy to me, and for which I am grateful. 

I wish my Falling in Love 99 was the sole 9.6, but alas, it is not, though it certainly presents well.  That copy is still available as a BIN on HA for $1700.  An offer for $1500 made back in 2013 was not accepted. 

Andy

Edited by Dr. Love