• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

513 posts in this topic

D103C025-94FC-4680-8F16-B5896F1FE0F6.thumb.jpeg.dabccc42b479dbe3ea5f5497e3d7f0b8.jpeg

This came out about 9 months before his death. Not a great drawing of one of his albums but maybe it was supposed to be this one???

90846697-443C-4125-B622-E90C8CA24F1B.thumb.jpeg.63321c78b7b6b17f95fec30d28438336.jpeg

Pretty cool though in 1969 DC was finally getting with the times at least with their cover art. Jimi had just hit on the top 20 in the US a year before with All Along the Watchtower. Someone at DC was paying attention to music at the time.

Edited by N e r V

A heads up for my fellow romance collectors!

You may recall that last year I got to meet Barbara Friedlander at Terrificon in Connecticut. Well, I just learned that she will be a special guest at the increasingly mis-named Plastic City Comic Con in Fitchburg, Massachusetts on July 13:

http://www.plasticcitycomiccon.com/guests.html

Last year I had her sign three of the four issues in the "20 Miles to Heartbreak" arc with Toth art, but I was missing one issue. I guess I need to get that before July!

From talking with her and reading her Alter Ego interview, it's my understanding that she also wrote every episode of both "3 Girls, Their Lives, Their Loves" and "Reach for Tomorrow." I'm not close to finishing either of those runs yet (maybe halfway done with "3 Girls") but I might bring some of those as well. 

15 hours ago, electricprune said:

Part of my Motor City haul this weekend.

7F542B21-6DF5-4757-9992-51CA1F73E5F1.jpeg

Very nice haul! I particularly like the Heart Throbs #89 and #92. I have a #89 on the way to me right now as part of an ebay lot, but #92 is a favorite cover that I have yet to track down. 

One thing interesting about Romance covers is how the various publishers and artists had their go-to themes. Women on Fox covers are often temptresses and manipulators; Pre-code Harvey was full of bad choices, often with one dude about ready to pound another over a girl; Baker St. John covers were all about the melodrama, except towards the end when it was couples in love, which was also popular with post-code Atlas. DC covers were frequently about heartbreak; and the women on Superior covers often looked like they were ready for a good time. 

On 5/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, shiverbones said:

Found in a local shop today that usually doesn’t have older books

AEDCF402-2E78-4792-AB79-5D8E00A7F3E2.jpeg

Nice cover!

It's a treat to see ANY Farrell/Ajax issues. I've never seen an Ajax romance in the wild. Even the incredible Dr. Love appears to have less than a handful.

2 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

Nice cover!

It's a treat to see ANY Farrell/Ajax issues. I've never seen an Ajax romance in the wild. Even the incredible Dr. Love appears to have less than a handful.

Nice grabs by shiverbones!  Romance in the wild have always been tough, Ajax incredibly more so.  Hal is right, I've only managed to find a few in over 25 years of active looking.  I mean everyday on Ebay looking.  Back in the 90's there were only a couple of guys going after romance, and I won books because I was willing to outbid most everybody else.  Which could mean $50 for some well presenting F/VF, which for romance was considered a lot.

Speaking of Bride's Secrets 8, I got this one on Ebay 18 years ago.  Sold it to a buddy of mine 5 years ago, he was almost begging for it.  If he's reading this, you know it's true, man. :baiting:

Can't say I blamed him, I'd beg for this book too.  He better still have it!

1302402696_BridesSecrets08_fl.thumb.jpg.44a6c3fbc832001eba586f0c09cb76fa.jpg