• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

514 posts in this topic

I can see why these quality romance covers caught your eye. :applause:

WeddingBells17f_zpsnqyuyzt9.jpg

LoveRomances70f_zpsnkkc5g86.jpg

Outstanding cover design. Note how the perspective of the building leads the eye through the cover -- and then when you reach the right edge and the red handbag, the rail and heart shape blurb bring you right back into the cover.

Also an outstanding copy of this book. ;)

Vinnie and Me

Born in 1955, my early comic influences were in this order: the two Kurts, Kirby Thor, Romita Spidey. What I didn't know at the time was that it was more than just The King talking to me - it was that morphed entity I call Kirletta. It wasn't until 30 years later that I was re-introduced to Colletta in a whole new way.

He was the dean of the Atlas romance department, drawing 2 stories every issue and about 95% of all the covers in the recently expanded post-code romance line that featured 8 different romance titles in the mid to late 50's. He was always a workhorse, the go-to guy for editors throughout his career. His controversial reputation as a hack was still years off in the future.

When I started collecting romance it soon became clear that Vinnie C. was certainly the most prolific romance artist, if not the best known and collected (Baker, by a long shot). I also saw that most of his covers portrayed a certain point of view - they were joyous. Sure, it was management's call, but Colletta had a personality that drove it hard in that direction. He was outgoing; a friendly, happy, smiling guy. Some said a Wiseguy. He loved life, and lived it large. He loved women; drew them, photographed them, encouraged them, and befriended them.

If you're a Vinnie C. fan, then you're in for a good time, cause I've got a bunch to show you. If you dislike him for how he inked Kirby, well, stick around and maybe he can redeem himself. A little!

Loves81fc100_zpsc549f6a8.jpg

Vinnie and Me

Born in 1955, my early comic influences were in this order: the two Kurts, Kirby Thor, Romita Spidey. What I didn't know at the time was that it was more than just The King talking to me - it was that morphed entity I call Kirletta. It wasn't until 30 years later that I was re-introduced to Colletta in a whole new way.

He was the dean of the Atlas romance department, drawing 2 stories every issue and about 95% of all the covers in the recently expanded post-code romance line that featured 8 different romance titles in the mid to late 50's. He was always a workhorse, the go-to guy for editors throughout his career. His controversial reputation as a hack was still years off in the future.

When I started collecting romance it soon became clear that Vinnie C. was certainly the most prolific romance artist, if not the best known and collected (Baker, by a long shot). I also saw that most of his covers portrayed a certain point of view - they were joyous. Sure, it was management's call, but Colletta had a personality that drove it hard in that direction. He was outgoing; a friendly, happy, smiling guy. Some said a Wiseguy. He loved life, and lived it large. He loved women; drew them, photographed them, encouraged them, and befriended them.

If you're a Vinnie C. fan, then you're in for a good time, cause I've got a bunch to show you. If you dislike him for how he inked Kirby, well, stick around and maybe he can redeem himself. A little!

Loves81fc100_zpsc549f6a8.jpg

Great post Doc, and a heart felt tribute to a man that left an indelible mark on the Silver Age. That particular issue of Lovers has a Baker story, the reason I bought a copy long ago. Eventually gone, that cover really speaks of Vinnie's style and point of view.

Edited by comicnoir

While Colletta deserves the grief he got for simplifying and outright eliminating Kirby's details and backgrounds on Thor, at his best he was capable of giving Kirby's chunky pencils a refined touch that worked well with the title, especially on the covers where he was less likely to skimp.

I don't have a lot of romance books, but I do have an interesting complete set of one title. Here's the story behind it. My wife and I met in the military and were married less than a year later. In the early 90's I discovered a comic titled GI Sweethearts and thought it would be fun to put a whole run together since my wife and I were kinda of like GI Sweethearts. It took me about ten years (pre internet) and they were low to mid grade. Some time back I purchased quite a few upgrades from Andy and combined my best copies. While slightly before the silver age, these end at the dawn of it. So here it is, a complete run of GI Sweethearts:

gis32.jpg