• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

514 posts in this topic

AllTrueRomance23f_zps5bnczorq.jpg

Which reminds me of this crazy Harry Anderson book. I can't get a credit on the Ajax books, partly because they were Iger studio? But the style is consistent, and it's not a house style I can identify from another romance artist or publisher. If you've got an idea please shout it out.

LoveJournal10fc100_zps42b741a9.jpg

Hey Doc What issue number is this All True Romance?

You back off of that book...I'M looking for it... :sumo:

It's technically a BA book, but anyone know why this book ended so high? CLink auction

That's crazy, but no more so than some other books. There are clearly a lot of people in this hobby with the wherewithall to spend multiples of presumed fair market value for comics they covet.

Good question. Unless someone is looking to fill in on their high grade Savannahs. The 122 issue was a Savannah raw, mid-grade, sold as part of a raw lot. 8.0 from years ago was top census until a month ago.

Two guys duking it out. Most of the price discovery was done at the beginning with a run to see where the initial bid topped out.

I like it. Not so much the 133 which went for $66. Generally speaking, putting random bronze romance in at CL if only a 9.2 is going to be a disappointment.

Good question. Unless someone is looking to fill in on their high grade Savannahs. The 122 issue was a Savannah raw, mid-grade, sold as part of a raw lot. 8.0 from years ago was top census until a month ago.

Two guys duking it out. Most of the price discovery was done at the beginning with a run to see where the initial bid topped out.

I like it. Not so much the 133 which went for $66. Generally speaking, putting random bronze romance in at CL if only a 9.2 is going to be a disappointment.

Interesting, so whoever submitted it to CGC didn't know it was a Savannah or maybe CGC didn't accept the documentation? I suppose you are right that it has to be a run completing thing.

8684cdb1-faec-44e2-a735-f8b7cac330c3_zps7j2hencu.jpg

Interesting disconnect between the series title and the scenarios on all three covers of women being jilted. I wonder if any publisher thought about titling a book "Jilted!" since it seems to have been such a popular theme. hm

Interesting, so whoever submitted it to CGC didn't know it was a Savannah or maybe CGC didn't accept the documentation? I suppose you are right that it has to be a run completing thing.

I wrote it up in a confusing way. There was a 122 Savannah, it was sold on HA as part of a 13 issue raw group, and was graded as a F-. If you had bought the graded Savannahs back in the day you would have had a few holes in the run at this point in the title, see below. This CL copy wold have been the opportunity to fill in. So that would account for one of the potential high bidders' rationale. The other, assuming just two guys? If I had to take a guess I'd say the consignor's friend shilling it. $375 is more than usual, but not incredibly more, than a Savannah 9.2 would go for. Prices varied widely though.

115 9.2

116 9.2

117 9.2

118 9.2

119 9.4

121 9.2

123 9.4

124 9.4

126 9.4

127 9.0

128 9.6

130 9.4

etc etc etc

Interesting disconnect between the series title and the scenarios on all three covers of women being jilted. I wonder if any publisher thought about titling a book "Jilted!" since it seems to have been such a popular theme. hm

Could have just cut to the chase and called it Pain. Hurt, Grief and Loss would do as well. But in that respect, same as it's ever been, as regards the human experience and affairs of the heart.

You're not quite seeing the approach to the genre in the right way, my friend. Look for the artist who can capture the elements, the components of pain in an immediate and intuitive way. Shock, surprise, grief, betrayal - portrayed vividly, immediately, no balloons needed, you understand completely what's going on. You FEEL it. And that is the connection they were aiming for.

DC had it down, and refined it ever more over time. Romita was the end result of the process, the artistic culmination. And my strong belief, I think jimbo phrased it nicely one time, is that Romita's transition to Spiderman was so successful because of his grounding in the world of the real, in DC romance. You think Ditko built the empire? More like the hotness of MJ and Gwen I think. The new updated Betty and Veronica.

Could have just cut to the chase and called it Pain. Hurt, Grief and Loss would do as well. But in that respect, same as it's ever been, as regards the human experience and affairs of the heart.

You're not quite seeing the approach to the genre in the right way, my friend. Look for the artist who can capture the elements, the components of pain in an immediate and intuitive way. Shock, surprise, grief, betrayal - portrayed vividly, immediately, no balloons needed, you understand completely what's going on. You FEEL it. And that is the connection they were aiming for.

DC had it down, and refined it ever more over time. Romita was the end result of the process, the artistic culmination. And my strong belief, I think jimbo phrased it nicely one time, is that Romita's transition to Spiderman was so successful because of his grounding in the world of the real, in DC romance. You think Ditko built the empire? More like the hotness of MJ and Gwen I think. The new updated Betty and Veronica.

...... yup, that was me :acclaim: ....... and to be fair, Ditko's bizarre zaniness caught the world's attention (and his depiction of the emotional spectrum was also consummate....) , Romita was able to move the franchise into the realm of the mature audience that Marvel coveted at the time. I want a nice copy of that Falling in Love 5 VERY badly...... it just says it all for the genre. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Love these romance back covers on DCS :headbang:

GirlsRomances55b_zpshocjjzhq.jpg