• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

Seems like a good move to premiere the movie in China a couple weeks ahead of North America as opposed to a few weeks after.  It is a huge market on par with North America (if not larger, or at least soon to be).

1 hour ago, JLA Brad said:

Seems like a good move to premiere the movie in China a couple weeks ahead of North America as opposed to a few weeks after.  It is a huge market on par with North America (if not larger, or at least soon to be).

Timing in China is a huge issue.  As is the competition (which the government often plays a factor in, as is marketing), which usually hurts western movies in the summer time.  Venom, which also turned out to be a surprise hit in both China (and worldwide) also benefitted from good timing.  Which is not to say that this isn't a good movie, just that timing is a factor in China and must considering when speculating or drawing conclusions. 

My guess is that this will likely be the 2nd best DCEU movie thus far, behind Wonder Woman.  The previews look kind of ridiculous and contrived, but I think they're leaning HARD into the ridiculous to make it an overall fun movie, which seems like a good use of Momoa, much in the same way Hardy LEANED HARD into Venom.  I think it will do well.  Maybe not epically so, but a solid success.

2 hours ago, JLA Brad said:

the decision was in the hands of the powers that be in China, they make the call not the studio. any way you slice it, this is a huge head start for the WW BO total.  $108MM thru Monday- already passing every other DCEU movie.

Edited by paperheart

18 minutes ago, revat said:

Timing in China is a huge issue.  As is the competition (which the government often plays a factor in, as is marketing), which usually hurts western movies in the summer time.  Venom, which also turned out to be a surprise hit in both China (and worldwide) also benefitted from good timing.  Which is not to say that this isn't a good movie, just that timing is a factor in China and must considering when speculating or drawing conclusions. 

My guess is that this will likely be the 2nd best DCEU movie thus far, behind Wonder Woman.  The previews look kind of ridiculous and contrived, but I think they're leaning HARD into the ridiculous to make it an overall fun movie, which seems like a good use of Momoa, much in the same way Hardy LEANED HARD into Venom.  I think it will do well.  Maybe not epically so, but a solid success.

The Chinese market is sizable but the stingy cut to studios still make it largely gravy to studios after the film's domestic and other international market releases that usually yield a much larger cut. Venom has made $250MM+ there but the studio only see, what, about $60MM of that?  Venom didn't need China to make it a hit, though that huge BO there certainly superficially bloats its worldwide totals, even if the studio take is barely half of the production budget. I'm not convinced this movie shooting its China wad ahead of the North America release is necessarily a positive as there will be nothing to superficially redeem it should the North American totals come in as they are expected to (all time DCEU lows).

-J.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The Chinese market is sizable but the stingy cut to studios still make it largely gravy to studios after the film's domestic and other international market releases that usually yield a much larger cut. Venom has made $250MM+ there but the studio only see, what, about $60MM of that?  Venom didn't need China to make it a hit, though that huge BO there certainly superficially bloats its worldwide totals, even if the studio take is barely half of the production budget. I'm not convinced this movie shooting its China wad ahead of the North America release is necessarily a positive as there will be nothing to superficially redeem it should the North American totals come in as they are expected to (all time DCEU lows).

-J.

I get the feeling that Aquaman is going to face a somewhat soft market during the holiday season, if it is even reasonable movie.  ALTHOUGH I think Bumblebee might be a 'surprise' hit that seriously cuts into the Aquaman movie revenues.  I don't think it will make the 2nd most money for a DCEU, just be the 2nd best movie, and a solid (but not spectacular) success.  Like your number 8 hitter hitting a ground rule double.  Like the first Ant-man

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aquaman_2018

my long standing prediction was 70+, given the typical drift to the downside as the reviews roll in, looks like it'll be close but no cigar

Well, looks like China will be a much bigger market for Aquaman than all of North America then.  :whatthe:

Shouldn't really be that surprising, I guess, if you take the huge population of China into account.  But still, not bad results for an American made movie in a foreign though once unfriendly market like China.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like China will be a much bigger market for Aquaman than all of North America then.  :whatthe:

Shouldn't really be that surprising, I guess, if you take the huge population of China into account.  But still, not bad results for an American made movie in a foreign though once unfriendly market like China.  (thumbsu

we'll see - to an extent these things are critic proof and "stock" isn't reacting negatively (still estimating $240-260MM US, China likely won't get that high). personally, a 53 metacritic means i'll be seeing Spidey Verse twice instead.

Edited by paperheart

22 minutes ago, paperheart said:
32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

we'll see - to an extent these things are critic proof and "stock" isn't reacting negatively (still estimating $240-260MM US, China likely won't get that high)

In that case, I guess the North American movie market must have stronger legs than the Chinese market with an opening weekend that is already substantially higher than the forecast opening weekend for the NA market.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

In that case, I guess the North American movie market must have stronger legs than the Chinese market with an opening weekend that is already substantially higher than the forecast opening weekend for the NA market.  hm

I think China limits the number of weeks foreign movies can play - it will play much longer in NA, hence the stronger legs over here.

2 minutes ago, JLA Brad said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I think China limits the number of weeks foreign movies can play - it will play much longer in NA, hence the stronger legs over here.

Well, maybe Trump can do something about that in his ongoing seemingly never-ending China / USA trade negotiations. :devil:

6 minutes ago, JLA Brad said:

correct, 4 week play in China.  Typical multiple of opening weekend for super hero movies in China is 2x or lower, NA is 2.7x.  Additionally, during the "holiday corridor" when every day from 12/21 release through New Year's Day plays like a weekend day a 4x multiple is possible.