• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Surprisingly I'm seeing a lot more negative reviews than I expected.  From the ones I've read it is either fantastic or horrific(shrug)

It's a DC movie - negative reviews are to be expected.  I'm surprised they are all not negative.

12 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Surprisingly I'm seeing a lot more negative reviews than I expected.  From the ones I've read it is either fantastic or horrific(shrug)

It's Marmite for fish.

Saw the movie last night. It was impressive & entertaining. It had visuals of Avatar, the fast paced action of John Wick & the story-telling of a Star Wars flick (with a little heart-tugging sprinkled throughout).

I would highly recommend it...well worth the ticket price.

Seeing it on Wednesday.

The CGI final battle in Wonder Woman really tainted the 2 hours of great storytelling that preceded it. Considering that this climax will probably occur underwater, I really have to convince myself to let it go if it plays out the same.

Big difference is it was a 1-on-1 with Diana. If Aquaman involves armies of stuff in battle then it makes more sense. If it's a battle between Arthur and Orim or Manta, then I hope that's focused on a smaller scale.

saw it last night and damn what a great movie to take the family and or group of friends. the movie has one simple storyline end goal but the journey to that endpoint was so much fun the twist, turns and character development. OH and let not forget the world DC/WB and James build is so amazing, I'll be going again this coming Friday.

59 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The CGI final battle in Wonder Woman really tainted the 2 hours of great storytelling that preceded it.

Yeah, it would have been so much better film without that CGI final battle.

Edited by godzilla43

13 minutes ago, godzilla43 said:
Spoiler

Yeah, it would have been so much better film if it would have ended that Diana just realising that man just are aggressive and there is no gods pulling the strings but
yeah Aries just pops up and they start fighting..

spoilers dude! Spoiler!

I also saw this last night. I don't think there are any real spoilers in my review here but just in case. 

Spoiler

Initial reaction: not very good, but well made, with some fun parts. I had the impression Wan's main goal was to make the DC superhero equivalent of a Transformers film - bright, flashy spectacle with no use for nuance or subtlety and no interest in character. 

It felt like this was something done by a very skilled filmmaker who wasn't really interested in making a good movie so much as the most mainstream action blockbuster possible. There we so many self-consciously "cool" moments that there were times I wondered if it was intentional parody. I'm not sure how many times someone posed long enough for a massive guitar riff to blare out behind them prior to the action commencing, but my guess is more than eight. 

One example of the film kewl factor being set too high is the sequence at 4:11 of this teaser:

Okay, it was kind of cool. But just to make sure we were completely aware of how cool this is supposed to be, they not only went super slo mo, they then showed it twice from different angles. It was like the film was competing with itself to prove how cool it was. "Bro, yo think that pose and guitar riff is cool? Wait until you see it a second time in SLO MOTION! With, I dunno, maybe nunchucks?!" At times, Wan seemed to just throw as many "cool" signifiers as possible into scenes without regard to whether they fit or made any sense — some of the random 80's music was just completely jarring and weird. It felt like he was binge-watching Stranger Things while editing the film and was like, "hey, this is cool, and my movie is cool, so if I put it in my movie... double cool?! Right?"

Anyway, it had some good things. It was much better made than the other non-Wonder Woman DC films. It was fantastic to see a DC movie where colors exist, for instance, and Wan really seemed to want to push this to the max, which was refreshing. Some of the visuals were actually pretty cool, even if they weren't shy about wearing their Tron influence as openly as possible. Still, I was not expecting Tron to be a major touchstone, so that was an unexpectedly fun angle (well, in moderation). For all his idiocy, Aquaman at least seemed like a cool dude underneath it all, which is a far cry from the morally conflicted and repugnant "heroes" in Snyder's films. Momoa's range is limited, but he did a good job with what they asked him to do, which honestly wasn't a whole hell of a lot other than take his shirt off. 

Final verdict: not good, but it didn't fill me with self loathing for having seen it, which is enough to make this the second best DC film behind Wonder Woman. 

Edited by Crimebuster

I saw it on Saturday.  It was a fun movie and Jason Momoa really makes the movie.  His Aquaman is all muscle and heart but not much brain, which is consistent with what we saw in Justice League.  I must give DC some recognition for making the underwater scenes very well done...except for underwater cascades (c'mon, really?).  It's a long movie, about 2.5 hours, but there's no time where the story slows down. I'd recommend it.