• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

Movie was great. Not surprised by the critics views on it. If you didn't like this movie, you don't know how to have a good time. Coincidentally most movie critics seem to have that problem. Audience in the theater I was in seemed to love it based on reactions coming out of the theater. 

14 minutes ago, anstettoman said:

2+ hrs of time I can't get back possibly the worst comic book movie I have ever seen  "call me ocean master?" really...…..feel more like call you d%^$ head!!! what a waste of time

You do realize that his character is Ocean Master right?  My wife and I saw it and liked it.  Sometimes I wonder what causes people to be so different on views of things.  I'm thinking bias is a huge part or wanting to be with the cool group.  Seems to me the majority of the audience is liking this movie, I have zero allegiance or bias I just thought it was enjoyable. 

Watched it tonight and LOVED IT.   Great lead character and gorgeous leading lady (even though she is crazy IRL).  So glad we have a good  movie released Christmas week this year.   Much better than the trash that was Last Jedi last year.... Will watch it with the family again sometime later this week. 

You get the sense that Momoa's personality shines through all the silly stuff in the -script and he really embraces his character like Gadot for WW and a lot of the Marvel actors.  Wan directed his best yet and Mera is so adorable and gorgeous!  

Edited by Marwai

6 hours ago, Marwai said:

You get the sense that Momoa's personality shines through all the silly stuff in the --script and he really embraces his character like Gadot for WW and a lot of the Marvel actors.  Wan directed his best yet and Mera is so adorable and gorgeous!  

Yeah James Wan does great action movies.  Crazy because I remember him from all the horror movies like SAW

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Good call on that.  (thumbsu

I pretty much agree with your assertions too by the way.  Saw it late last night to about a half full theater (or half empty, depending on how you view things in life lol). Lots of people laughing when they weren't supposed to, and not laughing when they were.  I will also add that when neither of your leads can act for spit and have absolutely ZERO chemistr together, and when your "hero" is way too overpowered, thus eliminating any and all stakes and tension (I had this problem with Wonder Woman too, and a couple marvel movies) all you really can do at that point is have garish, cartoony CGI and repetitive fight scenes that all lead to nothing.  I actually liked Justice League better.  

2.0 out of 5.0 for me

-J.

So...Matrix sequel level quality?:grin:

23 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Weekend estimate of $67.4 million domestic.

Sure - much less than the ~$100 million par standard for DCEU films.

But...

It's Aquaman.

He's sorta' DC's equivalent of Ant-Man in the 3rd-tier nobody-cares category.

For Aquaman, I guess that's kind of, sort of all right.  Would be better if the budget wasn't so ridiculously stupid (I'm starting to get vibes of ASM 2 a little here).  But actually, Gatsby, that $67.4MM includes $2.9MM from the Amazon preview (but not the Wednesday post-preview-pre-Thursday-preview-preview).  The real Thursday to-Sunday tally is $64.5MM (:eek:), which is literally right in line with what tracking was for weeks.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

15 hours ago, DiamondCityComics said:

Sometimes I wonder what causes people to be so different on views of things.

Not a bad thing...but I know what you mean.

The closest comparison to Aquaman is Black Panther.  Both are basically the same goal of getting to the throne.  I just think BP does everything (or nearly everything) better.  Story, character development, soundtrack, villain...etc.

Again, I understand why some people would love Aquaman.  But for me I felt that action/cgi was their top priority above all...that's not mine.

To be clear, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Never liked Aquaman - didn't like the writing of the character in Justice League, and don't plan to see this in the theater.

In the abstract, it's fairly absurd that it would have a worse opening weekend than Suicide Squad (a film I loathe for wasting its sterling premise with mess execution).

But I think WB would consider this a success when it hits $550 - $600M total worldwide (which it's on track to do).

And for it's part, it's looking like Disney is going to lose money on Mary Poppins Returns...although both of these films may be on better financial footing after this full week of kids-off-school...

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

To be clear, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Never liked Aquaman - didn't like the writing of the character in Justice League, and don't plan to see this in the theater.

In the abstract, it's fairly absurd that it would have a worse opening weekend than Suicide Squad (a film I loathe for wasting its sterling premise with mess execution).

But I think WB would consider this a success when it hits $550 - $600M total worldwide (which it's on track to do).

And for it's part, it's looking like Disney is going to lose money on Mary Poppins Returns...although both of these films may be on better financial footing after this full week of kids-off-school...

1st weekend multiplier for the top movie the week prior to X-mas is 4x for each of the past 7 years (except for TLJ which was 3x).  US multiple probably closer to 4x than 3x- so $235MM at 3.5x. China will finish w/ $265MM.  Other int'l on track for around $350MM after $70MM weekend (ex China) and still to open in markets that DCEU films average $40MM+.  $800MM comfortably, $850MM possible. 

13 minutes ago, paperheart said:

1st weekend multiplier for the top movie the week prior to X-mas is 4x for each of the past 7 years (except for TLJ which was 3x).  US multiple probably closer to 4x than 3x- so $235MM at 3.5x. China will finish w/ $265MM.  Other int'l on track for around $350MM after $70MM weekend (ex China) and still to open in markets that DCEU films average $40MM+.  $800MM comfortably, $850MM possible. 

Opening weekend, China BO & WW BO total look eerily similar to another CB movie>VENOM :p

42 minutes ago, paperheart said:

With the numbers you've just estimated, this movie loses money,  based on it's stupid budget of $200MM and another reported $150MM in marketing.  Even at $850MM (China- $265MM × .25= $66MM, North America- $235MM × .50= $117.5MM, rest of world- $350MM x ~.40= $140MM, Grand total to WB- $323MM) this movie loses money theatrically.  FWIW, I still don't think this movie has another $400MM left in the tank at all. I mean really, the movie has already been out three weeks now, and has basically been released everywhere it is going to.  Unlike recent years past where there was mostly one big tentpole playing, this year we have THREE, four if you count Mary Poppins.  Blame the studios for cramming all these movies in at the end of the year (a move obviously done because there is no star wars this year).

Given that this is a character that really nobody was clamoring to see in a solo movie, WB would have been far more intelligent to go with a SMALLER, more focused movie, with a SMALLER budget, instead of the asinine, throw-everything-at-the-wall Amazing Spider-Man 2 route, which itself made seemingly a boatload of money on paper, but still killed the franchise because of dumb budgeting.  To their potential credit, it looks like they're going more that direction with Shazam.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Just got back from the theatre from watching it in IMAX-3D.  I thought it was FANTASTIC! I loved it and will most likely see again before it leaves the theatres.  A very enjoyable movie.  I really liked the underwater special effects. 

Edited by musicmeta

The problem being that people are comparing Aquaman to other movies rather than... Aquaman...

Considering the history of the character, how he was the butt of so many jokes for decades, easily the "weakest" member of the JL.

This movie is the opposite of Aquaman's reputation forever. It does the New 52 character and series justice (haha!).

I really don't see how this can't be enjoyed. It doesn't have 'slow' moments. It has great visuals, great music, and great story points and conflicts. It doesn't feel long, despite being a "long" movie (really just standard length by today's film metrics). I agree with what was said above - some people just don't know how to have fun.

Really, the worst part of this movie is Orm's helmet at the end lol.

I’m typically pretty easy to please with comic movies...but Aquaman was horrible! It’s equal parts “gratuitous surprise explosions” + “horrible musical score” + “Mighty Morphing Power Rangers”. Man, that movie was bad.