• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Someone actually liked venom?

'Tit was me. :( 

I had a few drinks.  It wasn't a very demanding nite on the telly.

I liked The Predator too. :cry: (somewhat though :gossip: )

I actually had zero expectations for both. 

Frankly, I blame not liking some of the middling movies on here because of the hype they get in threads.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, Oddball said:

I still can’t get over the fact that grown men care whether a DC or Marvel movie is more successful than the other. I guess they also argue the PS vs Xbox and Android vs Apple topics.  Just enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same and argue for a cause worth your time.  Not aimed at anyone.  

Fair point, but aside from maybe 1-2 voices, I don't think that's really widespread on these boards.

Me?

I'm for _quality_.

As comic book fans, we lucked out with The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Avengers, Wonder Woman, and The Winter Soldier. Even Guardians of the Galaxy. All were better than they should have been.

On the flipside, we got far worse than we deserved with films like Suicide Squad, Jonah Hex, Justice League, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Venom.

With that out of the way, I'll now give a nod to factionalism with this article, that notes as of yesterday Aquaman's worldwide total of $761.9 million so far puts it ahead of 10 of the 20 MCU films. And (of course) both Justice League and Man of Steel.

Yes - it's not a fair comparison because the international box office started so far before the domestic one, and inflation, and high cost, etc. etc.

But at $199.5M domestic so far, it's doing extraordinarily well.

If anyone had told me when I went to see X-Men on opening day that less than 20 years later there'd be a big budget (and popular) Aquaman film, I'd have told them to lay off the meds.

https://movieweb.com/aquaman-box-office-beats-mcu-marvel-movies/

On 12/31/2018 at 4:23 PM, Jaydogrules said:

If you have any of that information, please do share.  Otherwise you are assuming and speculating beyond what exists within the public domain.  (thumbsu

(And by the way, much of the time "product placement" does not involve the exchange of money, but rather a mutual exchange of "media value"- ie, we will flash a Sprite billboard in our movie, if you feature our main character on your soda cans).

-J.

You also are not taking government grants into account. Do a quick google search and you will find at least one in the public domain that reduces production costs by around 10%. The end of credits listing of thanks to government agencies will indicate which other government programs provided support. All you have to do is look at their annual reports to see how much they provided in support. 

For private investors, it will take some digging, but some of the funds/corporations that invest in larger projects may have public annual reports.

As far as product placement, there will at least be some $$$ paid for Aquaman, just like any other hero film. I am not sure when that will be available, but my guess is it is in the $10s of millions.

Like I said - your model is flawed since you are not taking into account all of the additional sources of funding/financing that are available to studios. As I have learned from failed past investments into content production, and from working on the government funding side, investors and government grants cover the bulk of the costs. 

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Fair point, but aside from maybe 1-2 voices, I don't think that's really widespread on these boards.

Me?

I'm for _quality_.

As comic book fans, we lucked out with The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Avengers, Wonder Woman, and The Winter Soldier. Even Guardians of the Galaxy. All were better than they should have been.

On the flipside, we got far worse than we deserved with films like Suicide Squad, Jonah Hex, Justice League, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Venom.

With that out of the way, I'll now give a nod to factionalism with this article, that notes as of yesterday Aquaman's worldwide total of $761.9 million so far puts it ahead of 10 of the 20 MCU films. And (of course) both Justice League and Man of Steel.

Yes - it's not a fair comparison because the international box office started so far before the domestic one, and inflation, and high cost, etc. etc.

But at $199.5M domestic so far, it's doing extraordinarily well.

If anyone had told me when I went to see X-Men on opening day that less than 20 years later there'd be a big budget (and popular) Aquaman film, I'd have told them to lay off the meds.

https://movieweb.com/aquaman-box-office-beats-mcu-marvel-movies/

:(

Prior to the New 52, Aquaman was still such a joke of a character. I would've been right there with you telling people to lay off the meth.

I don't really ever see any Marvel vs DC film stuff around here, which is a great change of pace. Seemingly everywhere else, that conversation is had with every film release. I'm also just in it for good quality moving-pictures.

I love the MCU and I loved the Snyder-led Worlds of DC. Justice League kinda put me off (give us the f^&*ing Snyder Cut already!) but Aquaman has given me faith that other directors can make future films 'fit' in with the already-established continuity, tone, and visual styles.

my wife, daughter, and I went to see this on opening day after her and my daughter flew in that morning and we loved it. We went back after christmas to see it again. I can honestly say this is the first movie I've ever gone back to see a second time in theaters. They did a great job with this and I couldnt be happier. We already Pre Ordered the steelbook for it lol 

9 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

And in one day just broke $200M domestic, and is currently sitting at $285M at the China box office and estimated to break $300M there.

ycNdb0B.png

14 hours ago, kimik said:

You also are not taking government grants into account. Do a quick google search and you will find at least one in the public domain that reduces production costs by around 10%. The end of credits listing of thanks to government agencies will indicate which other government programs provided support. All you have to do is look at their annual reports to see how much they provided in support. 

For private investors, it will take some digging, but some of the funds/corporations that invest in larger projects may have public annual reports.

As far as product placement, there will at least be some $$$ paid for Aquaman, just like any other hero film. I am not sure when that will be available, but my guess is it is in the $10s of millions.

Like I said - your model is flawed since you are not taking into account all of the additional sources of funding/financing that are available to studios. As I have learned from failed past investments into content production, and from working on the government funding side, investors and government grants cover the bulk of the costs. 

Again, the estimates I am using are publicly available and based on widely reported industry norms, and as such, they are entirely reasonable and appropriate.  It is not a deep dive forensic accounting into the studio's books (although I am sure if one were to do that, the amount the studio actually spent on this movie would exceed even the bloated $350MM figure that still has it in the red, even now).

-J.

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Again, the estimates I am using are publicly available and based on widely reported industry norms, and as such, they are entirely reasonable and appropriate.  It is not a deep dive forensic accounting into the studio's books (although I am sure if one were to do that, the amount the studio actually spent on this movie would exceed even the bloated $350MM figure that still has it in the red, even now).

-J.

How much will it burn your buns when Aquaman crosses the $1 billion mark? Just wondering.

If the Production Budget is $160M, that is a 5.1X sales figure. If it is $200M, it is 4.1X. Profitability easily achieved! And when comparing to other high RR candidates, solid company. Unless films like Iron Man and Winter Soldier didn't make money at 4.2X.

hXJdYL3.png

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Still low balling DC budgets I see.  :eyeroll:

-J.

Regardless of the costs, wouldn't you agree that this movie is performing above general expectations?  My belief is/has been that opening the movie in China 2 weeks prior to NA was a good move to help build anticipation.  Also, this holiday corridor has benefited this movie immensely - it probably doesn't generate the numbers it is in the summer time (but I could be wrong)

3 minutes ago, JLA Brad said:

Regardless of the costs, wouldn't you agree that this movie is performing above general expectations?  My belief is/has been that opening the movie in China 2 weeks prior to NA was a good move to help build anticipation.  Also, this holiday corridor has benefited this movie immensely - it probably doesn't generate the numbers it is in the summer time (but I could be wrong)

A 1000% agree with that.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules