• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, kimik said:

Wow. this movie just continues to run. I have been hearing from more non-comic collecting friends that they like the film and think both Heard and Mamoa are great in their roles. It is funny to hear even the wives talk about how gorgeous Amber Heard is. lol   And then they mention how impressive Mamoa's body is....... :cry:

Makes sense - Amber Heard publicly identified as a lesbian until she started Johnny Depp. This was way back in 2011 when she starred opposite Nic Cage in "Drive Angry" and on TV in "The Playboy Club."

'Aquaman' Now Certain To Cross $1 Billion At Worldwide Box Office

Aquaman was the top movie for the third weekend in a row, earning another $30.7 million (-41%) for a new 17-day domestic total of $259.721m. That puts it past the unadjusted-for-inflation likes of Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($259m in 2014), Batman ($251m in 1989) and Men in Black ($251m in 1997). It’ll pass The Amazing Spider-Man ($262m in 2012) and The Incredibles ($261m in 2004) tomorrow. Yes, that’s a super-duper hold for a major superhero flick, on par with Black Panther (-40%) and The Avengers (-46%) albeit with smaller overall grosses.

It won’t get anywhere near Wonder Woman’s $413 million domestic total (the $325m and $330m unadjusted cumes of Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman seem to be a reach), but with a current global cume of around $930m (will update when WB does), it’s still heading for a $1 billion+ global cume.

$940MM worldwide after this weekend.  Unbelievable.  :whatthe:

Now let's see if it has made it into the black yet/how much with its big, dumb budget of $350MM-

(According to Box Office Mojo)

China- $261MM @ 25% = $65MM

North America- $260MM @ 50%= $130MM

Other Foreign Territories- $419MM @ 40%= $168MM

Total to WB so far= $363MM

Congratulations WB you're now officially in the black and have made about $13MM on your $350MM investment after a month of worldwide release.  :banana:

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Now let's see if it has made it into the black yet/how much with its big, dumb budget of $350MM-

Congratulations WB you're now officially in the black and have made about $13MM on your $350MM investment after a month of worldwide release.  :banana:

-J.

Box Office Mojo is behind in tracking the biggest market. :smile:

DC_MCU_BO190106f.PNG.2b1186551cc5e3902709e242e655f55c.PNG

:tink:

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

still can't get accurate figures when they're readily available. 2 of the 3 are wrong, another F.  #mathishardandrhymeswithtard

Edited by paperheart

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Jay;

Clearly you don't understand economics and the rationale for making super hero movies in the first place, as any profit from a movie is to be seen as a total surprise and unexpected bonus.  :gossip:

Super hero movies are simply used as loss leaders to get more people to go into their LCS's to pick up the latest issue of their super hero comics because that's where the real money is being made.  (:  lol

Seriously, very well done for what basically amounts to a 3rd tier and relatively unknown (to the general public) character like Aquaman and definitely good for all comic book fans here as the movie now looks like it could go past the $1B mark by the time it's all said and done.  :whatthe: :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Jay;

Clearly you don't understand economics and the rationale for making super hero movies in the first place, as any profit from a movie is to be seen as a total surprise and unexpected bonus.  :gossip:

Super hero movies are simply used as loss leaders to get more people to go into their LCS's to pick up the latest issue of their super hero comics because that's where the real money is being made.  (:  lol

Seriously, very well done for Aquaman as a 3rd tier character and for all comic book fans here as Aquaman the Movie looks like it could go past the $1B mark by the time it's all said and done.  :whatthe: :applause:

I’d disagree that Aquaman is third tier. He’s one of DC original comic book heroes. Ask DC if Aquaman is third tier. He’s literally in every major team for DC and one of its Golden Age Heroes.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Jay;

Seriously, very well done for what basically amounts to a 3rd tier and relatively unknown (to the general public) character like Aquaman and definitely good for all comic book fans here as the movie now looks like it could go past the $1B mark by the time it's all said and done.  :whatthe: :applause:

I agree with you that WB took a loser of a character and turned it into box office gold. As DC's only movie release this year most believed the film would do well (I didn't, I still feel this movie is just another over bloated, un-focused DC CGI cartoon mess, it is not better than JL and is in fact worse than JL IMO) but I don't expect even the rosiest forecasts had it doing "this" well.  But yes, like most comic book movies it is essentially a commercial for future product.   

But I still think Aquaman could have been a real home run financially theatrically had they shown even a modicum of restraint on the budget.  (Interesting counterpoint to Venom which is almost the exact inverse of this movie with its much smaller budget, likely less than half all-in, no Spider-Man, and people not only didn't expect it to do as well as it did, they were in fact rooting against it, and it went on to generate a very healthy $150MM profit to the studio during its theatrical pass). 

Shazam, thankfully,  looks to have gone more that route.  

-J.

James Wan pledges, taking a cue from Venom: "Budget for Aquaman 2 will be $25MM.  All underwater scenes will be filmed at Monterey Bay Aquarium, Atlantis will be created in miniature in my fish tank at home, there will be no speaking roles, all unintelligible dialogue will be close captioned, remainder of the movie will be filmed at night and what is occurring will be left to the audiences imagination, Jason Momoa will be replaced by a side of beef, Amber Heard role will be snippets of Ariel animation borrowed from Little Mermaid."  #likeshootingdeadfishinabarrel

23 hours ago, cgriffith said:
On 1/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Seriously, very well done for Aquaman as a 3rd tier character and for all comic book fans here as Aquaman the Movie looks like it could go past the $1B mark by the time it's all said and done.  :whatthe: :applause:

I’d disagree that Aquaman is third tier. He’s one of DC original comic book heroes. Ask DC if Aquaman is third tier. He’s literally in every major team for DC and one of its Golden Age Heroes.

I imagine every collector would have their own individual rankings and really no right or wrong answer here.  (thumbsu

Personally, from a DC point of view, I would place Supes and Batman as being their top tier characters.  I would then place Flash and Green Lantern as Tier 2 type characters, with Wonder Woman falling somewhere in between a Tier 1 and Tier 2 character.  Others like Aquaman, Atom, and Hawkman, I would consider as being Tier 3 characters with somebody like Green Arrow falling in between a Tier 2 and Tier 3 character.  hm

Or at least, that's my personal take on how they rank from a comic book point of view for what it's worth.  (shrug)