• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

Just nuts to think how massive Aquaman has turned out to be. #1 on the in-year USD WB/DC movie list and #4 when adjusted for 2019 USD of any WB/DC movie ever made.DC_MCU_BO190127a.thumb.PNG.e274d0792ba6358a104c403648130b8e.PNG

Wan can demand pretty much what he wants now.

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This puts it less than $2 million away from passing Man of Steel domestically (in real, inflation-adjusted terms).

Can you imagine someone back in 2015 saying, "umm...actually more people will go see Aquaman?"

Someone did back in 2013, but I guess it was Aquaman topping Spider-Man.......

On 1/28/2019 at 5:12 AM, TwoPiece said:

Is it profitable enough to produce an Aquaman sequel, though?

Probably (and hey, thanks for the segue! ;) )

But It's been a couple of weeks now, let's check back in to see if this big dumb movie with its big dumb $350MM budget is even as profitable as the other surprise runaway hit of the year Venom was (is):

(According to boxofficemojo):

China-  $295MM @ 25% = $74MM

North America-  $316MM @ 50%= $158MM

Other Foreign Territories-  $481MM @ 40%= $192MM

Total Profits to WB so far-  $425MM - big dumb $350MM  budget= $74MM net.

So....about half of Venom profits on more than double the cost. 

Better keep swimming Aquabro.  Better keep swimming.  :bigsmile:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

The whole thing about .25 for China, .4 for foreign, and .5 for domestic box-office....you can throw all that out-the-window for billion dollar blockbusters.  The worldwide-gross is the best way to estimate profitability.  Simple.

The studios (especially for blockbusters) negotiate private deals with China.  Releasing first there, plus Wan as director, probably got the % up to 40.  And...studios get front-loaded $ from domestic theaters, meaning that the % for the studio usually comes down on billion-dollar blockbusters.  So foreign/domestic evens-out.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Probably (and hey, thanks for the segue! ;) )

But It's been a couple of weeks now, let's check back in to see if this big dumb movie with its big dumb $350MM budget is even as profitable as the other surprise runaway hit of the year Venom was (is):

(According to boxofficemojo):

China-  $295MM @ 25% = $74MM

North America-  $316MM @ 50%= $158MM

Other Foreign Territories-  $481MM @ 40%= $192MM

Total Profits to WB so far-  $425MM - big dumb $350MM  budget= $74MM net.

So....about half of Venom profits on more than double the cost. 

Better keep swimming Aquabro.  Better keep swimming.  :bigsmile:

-J.

Venom was a runaway hit? :roflmao:

Again, Google is your friend. Use it to see how wrong you are re: financing of the film. 

Edited by kimik

54 minutes ago, kimik said:

Venom was a runaway hit? :roflmao:

Again, Google is your friend. Use it to see how wrong you are re: financing of the film. 

:roflmao:Yeah $856MM on a ~$150MM all in is considered a runaway hit to most rational industry observers.  

And as to your other inane comment...

Yes google is your friend.  Maybe *you* should use it.  (thumbsu

....But here's a little help for you anyway (big dumb $350MM all in budget)-

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/09/arts/aquaman-box-office-china.html

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

As the majority know, no expenses have been finalized though more than a few tracking sites have stuck with $160M. Box Office Mojo is still TBD. Meanwhile...

DC_MCU_BO190129b.thumb.PNG.8ec4f8afa414c158e7576cb61c4d7a5d.PNG

So many loss leaders among our 2018 Lebowski Little Achievers. :insane:

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

:roflmao:Yeah $856MM on a ~$150MM all in is considered a runaway hit to most rational industry observers.  

And as to your other inane comment...

Yes google is your friend.  Maybe *you* should use it.  (thumbsu

....But here's a little help for you anyway (big dumb $350MM all in budget)-

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/09/arts/aquaman-box-office-china.html

-J.

Venom did well at the box office, but I would like to see the final marketing budget all in. My guess is that they upped the marketing for it substantially after the first weekend - there were ads running here for three weeks longer than Aquaman (those stopped after the second week of release). I have not seen it since the CGI was brutal and word of mouth from friends that saw it was mixed. I am glad you liked it.

I am not arguing the $350MM for Aquaman, just the fact that it doesn't include all of the subsidies/grants that are posted online and I have repeatedly mentioned. You can find it with a 10 second Google search if you want to correct your numbers. But, based on your continued use of incomplete numbers to date, I doubt it. 

15 minutes ago, kimik said:

Venom did well at the box office, but I would like to see the final marketing budget all in. My guess is that they upped the marketing for it substantially after the first weekend - there were ads running here for three weeks longer than Aquaman (those stopped after the second week of release). I have not seen it since the CGI was brutal and word of mouth from friends that saw it was mixed. I am glad you liked it.

I am not arguing the $350MM for Aquaman, just the fact that it doesn't include all of the subsidies/grants that are posted online and I have repeatedly mentioned. You can find it with a 10 second Google search if you want to correct your numbers. But, based on your continued use of incomplete numbers to date, I doubt it. 

Point taken.

To which my response is:  All of the purported subsidies/grants in the world don't change its big dumb all in budget of $350MM.  Warner managed to dodge a bullet (again).  This will take some of the sting out of the Justice League debacle, and its even bigger, dumber budget.  Good for WB.

Here's to hoping they make smarter, better movies going forward, which will allow them to reap better rewards and hopefully lead to even more, better movies.

-J.

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Point taken.

To which my response is:  All of the purported subsidies/grants in the world don't change its big dumb all in budget of $350MM.  Warner managed to dodge a bullet (again).  This will take some of the sting out of the Justice League debacle, and its even bigger, dumber budget.  Good for WB.

Here's to hoping they make smarter, better movies going forward, which will allow them to reap better rewards and hopefully lead to even more, better movies.

-J.

Why does it  seem the only movie anyone adds the marketing budget on to the production budget is Aquaman?

11 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

No offense but as far as quality aquaman was a better overall film than Venom.

Obviously a matter of opinion.  And while a lot more can be done when you're willing to blow an extra $200MM on making and releasing your movie, I notice that Venom is still sporting a better audience score on RT than Aquaman.

As to the critics scores- well let's just say that after Venom (and then Bohemian Rhapsody) ended up blowing the doors off the box office, many of those same critics ended up mitigating if not outright walking back their earlier negative reviews, to the obvious benefit of Aquaman, which is a loud, miscast, chaotic mess of a movie, that critics clearly opted to hedge their bets on when reviewing this time, by calling it "fun" and "so bad it's kind of good", which is basically what they said about Venom earlier, but clearly didn't want to get caught on the wrong side of a fan favourite box office hit three times in the same season lol.

-J.

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Obviously a matter of opinion.  And while a lot more can be done when you're willing to blow an extra $200MM on making and releasing your movie, I notice that Venom is still sporting a better audience score on RT than Aquaman.

As to the critics scores- well let's just say that after Venom (and then Bohemian Rhapsody) ended up blowing the doors off the box office, many of those same critics ended up mitigating if not outright walking back their earlier negative reviews, to the obvious benefit of Aquaman, which is a loud, miscast, chaotic mess of a movie, that critics clearly opted to hedge their bets on when reviewing this time, by calling it "fun" and "so bad it's kind of good", which is basically what they said about Venom earlier, but clearly didn't want to get caught on the wrong side of a fan favourite box office hit three times in the same season lol.

-J.

Venom was never "so bad it's good". Aquaman can be brainless fun if you suspend disbelief. What is Venom, even? It doesn't commit to any genre. Outside of Tom Hardy the film is literally worthless. At least co-stars in Aquaman acted well (outside of Black Manta IMO).

Venom is an incoherent mess that, without Hardy, is total garbage. If you want to contend this statement - go ahead - name 1 thing good about the movie that doesn't involve Tom Hardy.