• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

#Aquaman breaks $1.110B mark. Even before the Japan first weekend results rolls in to wrap up this incredible run.

USA/Canada $326M

China $298.3M

S. Korea $39.6M

Brazil $36M

Mexico $32M

Australia $29.5M

UK $29.13M

France $26.3M

Germany $23.3M

Russia $20M

DC_MCU_BO190209a.thumb.PNG.fb4833dc7cc3ec70cd1ab9ab2514bd16.PNG

6 hours ago, kimik said:

I wonder if it can hit $810M internationally ($800M seems a given)? That would be a huge accomplishment for a C tier DC character. 

Clearly, Aquaman is in Tier-B with Flash, GL, & WW.  Unless you make your tiers very small and say he's in Tier-C with Shazam (who's a wildcard due to his history) & maybe Green Arrow.

22 minutes ago, JM2 said:

Clearly, Aquaman is in Tier-B with Flash, GL, & WW.  Unless you make your tiers very small and say he's in Tier-C with Shazam (who's a wildcard due to his history) & maybe Green Arrow.

Is GL tier B? :taptaptap: My inner child is getting defensive. Damn I need that GL corps movie. Crickets for a long while though...

2 hours ago, JM2 said:

Flash, GL (although Hal Jordan was my first love), Atom, Hawkman tier b, Wonder Woman is tier A;) and if she was not before Lynda Carter, she is now.

20 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Flash, GL (although Hal Jordan was my first love), Atom, Hawkman tier b, Wonder Woman is tier A;) and if she was not before Lynda Carter, she is now.

For me, 

Tier A: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (Everyone knows them)

Tier B: Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman (Most of the general public has heard of them)

Tier C: Atom, Hawkman, etc. (Only comic book people know them)

Edited by Red84

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I wonder if to answer this would it make sense to have a common definition what a Tier A/1, Tier B/2, Tier C/3 even means.

Tier A/1: Everyone knows their name and recognizes their symbols.

Tier B/2: If you have watched animated or live comic book TV shows or movies over the years, you recognize these characters.

Tier C//3: Comic book readers would know them. Most probably nobody else.

To me, the former are characters used as flagship representatives of a company. Such as with Marvel over the years it always used Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man and Hulk on any letterhead, advertising or even company-sponsored fan clubs (FOOM). Maybe we can include Wolverine on this list due to 80's and 90's over-saturation.

For DC, I would have to say it is Batman, Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman. Maybe I would include Aquaman.

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if to answer this would it make sense to have a common definition what a Tier A/1, Tier B/2, Tier C/3 even means.

Tier A/1: Everyone knows their name and recognizes their symbols.

Tier B/2: If you have watched animated or live comic book TV shows or movies over the years, you recognize these characters.

Tier C//3: Comic book readers would know them. Most probably nobody else.

To me, the former are characters used as flagship representatives of a company. Such as with Marvel over the years it always used Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man and Hulk on any letterhead, advertising or even company-sponsored fan clubs (FOOM). Maybe we can include Wolverine on this list due to 80's and 90's over-saturation.

For DC, I would have to say it is Batman, Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman. Maybe I would include Aquaman.

1 hour ago, Red84 said:

For me, 

Tier A: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (Everyone knows them)

Tier B: Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman (Most of the general public has heard of them)

Tier C: Atom, Hawkman, etc. (Only comic book people know them)

I think of it this way. 
When I was a kid, I was a DC junkie, not Marvel, so I can only relate to those titles. Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman were the 3 titles I ran to get first. Then GL and the Flash and maybe JLA. Atom and Hawkman and Aquaman were the books you bought if none of the others were new and you still had some money left;)

House of Secrets and Strange Adventures were books I'd read if the Dentist had them...unless there were great covers;)

46 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I think of it this way. 
When I was a kid, I was a DC junkie, not Marvel, so I can only relate to those titles. Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman were the 3 titles I ran to get first. Then GL and the Flash and maybe JLA. Atom and Hawkman and Aquaman were the books you bought if none of the others were new and you still had some money left;)

House of Secrets and Strange Adventures were books I'd read if the Dentist had them...unless there were great covers;)

I'm with you on this, Sharon.

And (you might be pleased to know) I still re-read the Wonder Woman story in that coverless/repro copy of Sensation # 1 you sold me every year.

That said, my view of A vs. B vs. C-tier comic characters was colored mostly by my experience collecting comics as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s.

A-list at that time: Batman, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Punisher, Ghost Rider (the _most popular_ characters)

B-list: Superman, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Daredevil, Hulk, Iron Man, the other X-Men, Green Lantern, Flash, G.I. Joe, Spawn, Thor (mainstream, well-known characters that most in the general public would have heard of)

C-list: Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, Teen Titans, She-Hulk (solid characters that may have had trouble supporting their own title consistently since the 1960s -- always around, but not *necessarily* in their own book)

D-list: Ant-Man, Hawkman, Jonah Hex, Sub-Mariner, The Atom, Legion of Superheroes, Power Pack, Doom Patrol, Moon Knight (could rarely support their own book, even if they once did)

What's remarkable is how the movies have changed this perception. Today, Iron Man is arguably as famous as Spider-Man among non-comic collectors --because he's been in far more popular movies over the last decade.

Likewise, Batman still trumps Wonder Woman in overall awareness and popularity due to his multiple film appearances since 2000 -- more than double that of Wonder Woman's.

Then there's Black Panther -- who vaulted onto the A-list among among the general public based on a single strong film, and caught a lot of 40-something comic nerds by surprise in doing so.

I think of it this way. 

I think of it this way. 

You made Me laugh, Sharon, with that last bit about HOS and SA.

I would also include HOM and My greatest adventure in that last group and put Mystery in Space (Adam Strange for our younger members) up with GL, Flash,JLA, If only for the beautiful Infantino covers every month.

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I think of it this way. 

Back in the day, it was so much simpler in being able to factor in those that know and read comic books, and those that don't. Since the 1950's Superman live TV show, Marvel 1966 animated TV shows, and 1960's Batman TV show, a different media has provided general audience awareness of these characters. Just now it is more massive and widespread than ever before.

So gauging by just comic book awareness has outgrown our experiences.