• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

oh, and Aquaman profit >$247MM (#6 Venom)

Every year when the NCAA tips off its men’s basketball tournament, Deadline launches its annual survey to show which film from the previous calendar year made the most money. This is the contest’s fifth installment, and this time the threshold for entry into Deadline’s Most Valuable Blockbuster tournament is a domestic gross exceeding $215 million. (this may have been a red herring, Venom should be on this list despite the <$215MM US)

My guesses:

#1 Avengers: IW

#2 Black Panther

#3 Jurassic World

#4 Bohemian Rhapsody $350MM

#5 Incredibles 2 Aquaman $260MM

#6 Aquaman  Venom $247MM (apparently Deadline can't even keep their own criteria straight)

#7 Deadpool $235MM

#8 Grinch  Jurassic World $222MM ($200MM in participations :whatthe: Spielberg :flipbait:)

#9 MI: Fallout Grinch $185MM

#10 A Star is Born $178MM profit

Edited by paperheart

Ok, so I finally saw this movie.  My son said it was great so I had pre-ordered the Blu Ray, and watched it last night.

Jason Maoma (sp?) was extremely charismatic and he did a great job.  However overall I found the movie average, not great (or even good), I certainly don't see what all the hype was about.  This is not a movie I will end of watching again, ever.

2 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, so I finally saw this movie.  My son said it was great so I had pre-ordered the Blu Ray, and watched it last night.

Jason Maoma (sp?) was extremely charismatic and he did a great job.  However overall I found the movie average, not great (or even good), I certainly don't see what all the hype was about.  This is not a movie I will end of watching again, ever.

Mail address via PM so we get that out of your way.

:baiting: :insane:

14 hours ago, media_junkie said:

I wouldn't say that Aquaman was hyped. Word of mouth spread that it's a good movie - and it is. It suffers from some ecological tropes, as a modern Aquaman film always would, but it's an overall fun film.

Aquaman was a punching bag of comic book heroes. The big screen put him on another radar. If you don't see why this was successful, well, I can't really do much else in the way of pointing you down the correct path.

To each their own.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

https://deadline.com/2019/03/aquaman-box-office-profit-2018-1202584701/

Let's see if i can do the math here: $900MM Break-even :roflmao:, $1.150MM BO, $260MM profit.  So on the last $250MM of box office, profit was $260MM.  Margins even Warren Buffet could love. #dogscan'tdomath

This includes ancillaries, genius. 

And also reveals an all in budget closer to $350MM.

Even more idiotic than originally estimated.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

8 minutes ago, paperheart said:

profit dollars spend the same everywhere.  Madoff CFO created profits out of wholecloth, our certifiable board mongrel is the bizarro version, creates no profit out of millions. #dogscan'taddwitheitherpaw

Well since my estimates (which actually turned out to be fairly close) did not pretend to include or even know the ancillary costs/profits, your comment is, as is quite often, off base. 

Also, $150MM more spent by Aquaman to make less than $15MM more in profit (compared to Venom)....

Yeah, that's a real intelligent way to make a movie.  :eyeroll:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

WB turning down $260MM Aquaman profit because it couldn't match Venom's 29 RT score

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Well since my estimates (actually turned out to be fairly close) did not pretend to include or even know the ancillary costs/profits, your comment is, as is quite often, off base. 

Also, $150MM more spent by Aquaman to make less than $20MM more in profit (compared to Venom)....

Yeah, that's a real intelligent way to make a movie.  :eyeroll:

-J.

WB donating $260MM profit to charity because it couldn't match Venom's 29RT score.  $227MM all in/29 = $7.8MM per RT point. Bravo!!  Hop back over to Deadline, industry insiders are dying to hear more comparisons of Aquaman to Justice League :roflmao:

10 minutes ago, paperheart said:

WB turning down $260MM Aquaman profit because it couldn't match Venom's 29 RT score

WB donating $260MM profit to charity because it couldn't match Venom's 29RT score.  $227MM all in/29 = $7.8MM per RT point. Bravo!!  Hop back over to Deadline, industry insiders are dying to hear more comparisons of Aquaman to Justice League :roflmao:

Dude, seriously, nobody cares about RT scores and I don't even know what your point is supposed to be anymore.  

But what I do know is, because of the stupidity of Aquaman's big dumb budget, and the way movie math works, a $1.1B dollar gross translated to less than a measly $15MM in additional net profit as compared to Venom's $855MM gross and net profits.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

37 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Dude, seriously, nobody cares about RT scores and I don't even know what your point is supposed to be anymore.  

But what I do know is, because of the stupidity of Aquaman's big dumb budget, and the way movie math works, a $1.1B dollar gross translated to less than a measly $15MM in additional net profit as compared to Venom's $855MM gross and net profits.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.  (thumbsu

-J.

$260MM, this is the only # that WB cares about. #breakeven900MM :roflmao:

14 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$260MM, this is the only # that WB cares about. #breakeven900MM :roflmao:

Okay.  Did you even look at the chart? 

$275MM of the profits are post-theatrical ancillaries which amounts to nearly the entirety of its profit margin.

So YES- this horrible movie indeed needed about $900MM theatrically to reach the break even point. 

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Okay.  Did you even look at the chart? 

$275MM of the profits are post-theatrical ancillaries which amounts to nearly the entirety of its profit margin.

So YES- this horrible movie indeed needed about $900MM theatrically to reach the break even point. 

-J.

i can read an income statement, i can also recreate a break even income statement using the exact ratios and fixed costs from this one, but you keep flying blind #mathisnthathardtryharder

$207MM US BO (29% of total)

$321MM Int'l ex China (45% of total)

$185MM China (26% of total)

Total WW BO: $713MM

Global Theatrical $285MM (39.7% of WW BO)

WW Home Entertainment $70 (9.8% of WW BO)

Global TV net $103MM (14.4% of WW BO)

Total Revenue: $458MM

Production Cost: $200MM

WW Prints & Ads: $148MM

Video Costs: $24MM (34% of WW Home Entertainment)

Participations: $30MM

Residuals etc: $24MM

Interest: $32MM

Total Costs: $458MM

Net Profit: $0

Thus endeth the lesson.

Edited by paperheart

3 hours ago, paperheart said:

i can read an income statement, i can also recreate a break even income statement using the exact ratios and fixed costs from this one, but you keep flying blind #mathisnthathardtryharder

$207MM US BO (29% of total)

$321MM Int'l ex China (45% of total)

$185MM China (26% of total)

Total WW BO: $713MM

Global Theatrical $285MM (39.7% of WW BO)

WW Home Entertainment $70 (9.8% of WW BO)

Global TV net $103MM (14.4% of WW BO)

Total Revenue: $458MM

Production Cost: $200MM

WW Prints & Ads: $148MM

Video Costs: $24MM (34% of WW Home Entertainment)

Participations: $30MM

Residuals etc: $24MM

Interest: $32MM

Total Costs: $458MM

Net Profit: $0

Thus endeth the lesson.

Studio math basically makes sure 90% of movies lose money on paper so they can take the tax write off.  I have seen it explained extensively, and it makes you shake your head how borderline criminal the practice is. 

15 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Re-watched Aquaman over the weekend.

In order how I liked the DC Cinematic Universe movies.

1. Aquaman

2. Wonder Woman

3. Man of Steel

4. Justice League

5. BvS.

:gossip: Haven`t seen Shazam yet.

you forgot Green Lantern and Suicide Squad (Not a hoax! Not a dream!...)

Edited by paperheart