• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2019 at 10:42 PM, drotto said:

Studio math basically makes sure 90% of movies lose money on paper so they can take the tax write off.  I have seen it explained extensively, and it makes you shake your head how borderline criminal the practice is. 

Yup. An article I posted a few years back went through how one studio tried to make a young director believe his heavily-weighted backend deal would be low because his very successful film took a lot to market. So it included an excessive number as a studio cost which required its reimbursement.

Like the coin-operated laundry business. Dirty as can be.

Although Deadline used a $200M production budget figure, it looks like BOM, the-Numbers and others are still sticking to $160M or no confirmed number at this time.DC_MCU_BO190404c.thumb.PNG.7f3d169b0ce4b414dc93d79eb97239f8.PNG

Either way, first 6 from the DCU compared to the MCU, even with all that studio tampering the former lands at a very solid spot. How high it could have gone without that meddling is hard to tell.

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Are there any Aquaman comic books based on the Jason Momoa Aquaman version?

Any recommendations for Aquaman comic books that are sort of like the Jason Momoa version?

I think you mean the opposite?

Momoa's Aquaman is loosely based on the New 52 version of Aquaman (who's the most "B. A." of any Aquaman I've read).

I would read Throne of Atlantis (crossovers with Justice League - maybe more).

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I think you mean the opposite?

Momoa's Aquaman is loosely based on the New 52 version of Aquaman (who's the most "B. A." of any Aquaman I've read).

I would read Throne of Atlantis (crossovers with Justice League - maybe more).

Thanks. I will check them out.

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Thanks. I will check them out.

It's a relatively small arc when you consider the scope of other crossovers, but reading Throne of Atlantis before seeing Aquaman made me appreciate the movie a bit more. I was satisfied with their adaptation of the story.

I think you can buy the entire story in TPB, if you're into that kinda thing.

So Aquaman finally dropped onto a streaming platform that I subscribe to and decided to watch it with friends, we all felt the same way afterwards... it was bad!

Not quite Suicide Squad awful but cliff notes for me:
- It's far too long.
- The acting is pretty awful, and when Dolph Lundgren is one of the stand out performances you just know how bad everyone else is. Momoa cannot act.
- The Visuals looked like Tron underwater, some of which I liked but by the end of it so much was being thrown at the screen you couldn't tell what was what.
- Too many battles and fight scenes, give me some story PLEASE!
- The music was all over the place.

The two things I liked from the movie were the sequence in Italy and the Trench scene. Basically everything out of the water.

Black Manta was awful, seriously the acting was really bad in this movie.

Just when you thought DC learned their lesson with Wonder Woman and Shazam, this pile of crud turns up. Urgh. Avoid.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:52 AM, bane said:
So Aquaman finally dropped onto a streaming platform that I subscribe to and decided to watch it with friends, we all felt the same way afterwards... it was bad!

Not quite Suicide Squad awful but cliff notes for me:
- It's far too long.
- The acting is pretty awful, and when Dolph Lundgren is one of the stand out performances you just know how bad everyone else is. Momoa cannot act.
- The Visuals looked like Tron underwater, some of which I liked but by the end of it so much was being thrown at the screen you couldn't tell what was what.
- Too many battles and fight scenes, give me some story PLEASE!
- The music was all over the place.

The two things I liked from the movie were the sequence in Italy and the Trench scene. Basically everything out of the water.

Black Manta was awful, seriously the acting was really bad in this movie.

Just when you thought DC learned their lesson with Wonder Woman and Shazam, this pile of crud turns up. Urgh. Avoid.

Interesting. No redeeming qualities at all for you and the rest of the fellow viewers other than Italy and The Trench?

Black Manta was a highlight for me. Especially how his father's death led to their deadly relationship.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting. No redeeming qualities at all for you and the rest of the fellow viewers other than Italy and The Trench?

Black Manta was a highlight for me. Especially how his father's death led to their deadly relationship.

Redeeming qualities? Hmmm.... I did like the look of Amber Heard. I enjoyed the whole Italy sequence but I'd unfortunately saw most of it in the extended trailer. 
The Trench sequence was awesome. 

Black Manta? Come on dude, the acting was Star Wars prequel bad, he was chewing through scenery like no tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, bane said:

Redeeming qualities? Hmmm.... I did like the look of Amber Heard. I enjoyed the whole Italy sequence but I'd unfortunately saw most of it in the extended trailer. 
The Trench sequence was awesome. 

Black Manta? Come on dude, the acting was Star Wars prequel bad, he was chewing through scenery like no tomorrow. 

howdareyou.gif.c87495e521d1d1fd795edf7e7eda10cc.gif

:baiting:

It worked for me as a villain introduction. But nothing I would consider Oscar-worthy.