• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

Supposedly this was done to make way for Affleck's Batman movie in 2018.

• Wonder Woman – June 2, 2017
  • Justice League – November 17, 2017
  • The Flash – March 16, 2018
  • Untitled Movie – July 27, 2018 (The Batman?)
  • Aquaman – October 5, 2018
  • Shazam – April 5, 2019
  • Justice League 2 – June 14, 2019
  • Untitled Movie – November 1, 2019 (Birds of Prey?)
  • Cyborg – April 3, 2020
  • Green Lantern – June 19, 2020

With the situation of changing directors on The Flash, I wouldn't be surprised if it was bumped to July 2018 and Batman takes the March 2018 place.

I honestly think that Justice League is being offered too soon... By the time of JL1 we have only seen:

Superman: MOS

Superman v Batman

Suicide Squad

Wonder Woman

In fact from what it looks like, since Wonder Woman is almost a flashback or period piece and Suicide Squad is slightly removed from the DCU main storyline, we have only seen two in universe movies before the big team up. If I am unfamiliar with these characters, why should I get excited for their cinematic teamup? Aquaman has the ability to be awesome and for Mamoa to bring a new sense of respect to what has commonly been referred to as a joke in DC comics. I would have bumped Aquaman and either GL or Flash up before the big assembly of characters in Justice League.

I believe Warner Bros. is caught between a rock and a hard place and that is why they are doing JL now. If they continue with the solo movies, the box office numbers are being compared to Marvel's current big movie successes, not Marvel's initial solo movies which did modest numbers. (In fact, DC's movies have done better when you compare them by release order.)

I honestly don't get it though. Doctor Strange, Ant Man, and even Guardians of the Galaxy did just okay at the box office. There is nothing wrong with Mavel and DC hitting singles, doubles, or even an occasional triple. The idea that every single movie from these two needs to be a home run is unrealistic. I don't understand why DC is rushing it either unless they feel the comparisons to Marvel will hurt them long term, so they are trying to get out in front of that.

Guardians of the Galaxy II should do huge numbers compared to the first movie, now that it has had a chance to percolate for a few years. Warner Bros. doesn't seem to want to take the chance of a slow build. Time will tell if this is the right call or not.

Edited by rjrjr

Warner Bros. Delays Aquaman Release

It looks like Aquaman is getting shoved aside just a bit more. Instead of hitting theaters in October 2018, Aquaman will now reportedly hit theaters in time for the holidays.

According to the Wall Street Journal’s Ben Fritz, Aquaman has been pushed back to December 21, 2018. The date may sound familiar to some comic book fans as it also marks the release of Sony’s animated Spider-Man film featuring Miles Morales. You can read Fritz’s tweet below:

“Warner Bros. pushes back Aquaman release from 10/5/18 to 12/21/18. Same day as Sony's animated Spider-Man!”

Most probably a smart move for James Wan so what hits theaters is rock-solid versus a rush to distribution.

12 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I think it gives them more time to work on the underwater scenes.

It turns out it was done to fill the Christmas void when Avatar 2 was announced as not coming out. So not only good release planning, but more time to refine this film.

I guess they liked his Arrow performance.

AQUAMAN Adds '80s Action Movie Icon Dolph Lundgren As The Villainous King Nereus

150336.jpg

According to THR, Dolph Lundgren (Universal Soldier, Rocky IV, The Expendables) has signed on to play King Nereus in James Wan's Aquaman. alongside Jason Momoa as the titular King of Atlantis.

Lundgren's casting definitely suggests that Arthur Curry is going to be facing off against multiple villains, as in the comics Nereus is the rule of the kingdom of Xebel who wants Mera (Amber Heard) for himself, and makes it his mission to destroy her husband.

As we already know, Aquaman is also going to have to contend with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II's Black Manta, and Patrick Wilson as Ocean Master.

Dwayne Johnson Welcomes Black Manta To The DCEU

oZcGcQ4.png

Joining Dwayne Johnson in the DCEU is Yahya Abdul-Mateen II who has been cast as Black Manta for James Wan's Aquaman movie.

Back in February saw Dwayne Johnson, who will play Black Adam, welcome Yahya Abdul-Mateen II to the DCEU, and now Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is able to confirm Black Manta for Aquaman and pass along a thanks to The Rock.

Aquaman films next month in Australia for its December 21, 2018 release and stars Jason Momoa as Aquaman, Amber Heard as Mera, Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko, Patrick Wilson as Orm the Ocean Master, with Temuera Morrison as Aquaman's father, Thomas Curry, Nicole Kidman is playing the mother to Aquaman, Queen Atlanna, and Dolph Ludgren is King Nereus. 

Aquaman Star Shows Off His Black Manta Research Material

hP1FO1V.png

While Dolph Lundgren has been cast as King Nereus — the anticipated primary antagonist of the film — Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (The Get Down) will serve as Aquaman’s arch-nemesis Black Manta, who will serve as a secondary villain in the movie this time around.

Abdul-Mateen II isn’t taking the role lightly, that’s for sure. One of the stars of the popular Netflix original The Get Down — a show showing the rise of hip-hop and disco music in The Bronx through the vantage point of a group of teenagers — has been busy brushing up on Aquaman lore, and he wants his fans to know it.

The actor took to Instagram today to post a selfie while holding up a wide variety of Aquaman comics, including a few from the latest Rebirth run as well as 2011’s post-Flashpoint New 52 run. All smack dab in the middle is an issue of Suicide Squad featuring both Black Manta and Deathstroke.

Jason Momoa is excited to get to set the tone for Aquaman

ibfO1PN.png

Jason Momoa will next appear in the upcoming JUSTICE LEAGUE before finally getting to bring Arthur Curry to the forefront in James Wan's AQUAMAN. As there has never been a live-action Aquaman before now, Jason Momoa will get free rein to make the role his own, which he told GQ is something he's quite excited about.

"We’ve never really seen anything from this guy before, so it’s fun to have a level playing field. There aren’t like four Aquamans before me. I get to set the tone for it."

Jason Momoa went on the explain how he views the role, saying that Aquaman "was never really accepted on land, and he was never really accepted in Atlantis. He’s a half-breed. But he’s the best of both worlds. He just doesn’t know how to handle his powers. So it’s kind of a coming of age for a young man to a man, or a man to a king. He’s lost a lot of things and he’s got to cope. He’s an outsider."

Production on AQUAMAN is still expected to get underway next month and is said to be a "swashbuckling high seas adventure story" in the spirit of ROMANCING THE STONE meets RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.