• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

Geoff Johns Describes What Makes Aquaman Interesting

Speaking at a panel during San Diego Comic-Con, Johns explained just why he finds the character so intriguing, and why fans will as well (via CinemaBlend).

"Why is Aquaman interesting? I can tell you from my perspective, emotionally why it's interesting is because his father was a human, his mother was Atlantean, and he thinks he's a half-breed and he doesn't belong in either world -- the surface or the oceans or Atlantis. He kind of considers himself a man of no world. And it's not really until he's with Mera that he finds a place in life; and his brother, Orm, is full Atlantean, and it's Arthur's job, Aquaman's arc was to bring the two worlds together."

Johns history writing the character gives him a wealth of credibility in the writer's room for movie projects, including Aquaman. He explained how he approaches someone like Aquaman and the most important parts of adapting a character like him to the screen.

"I work with a lot of great people, but the whole thing is to craft and shape the story and tone to fit the character and celebrate the character, instead of deconstruct the character. You want to celebrate the character, because you have to really celebrate something and build it up to really make it into something that represents who that character truly is. And also, the fact that I've written all these comic books it gives me a lot of credibility coming into the room, because it's hard to argue, sometimes. People can tell me what they think Aquaman is, but I wrote the book -- literally -- so it helps me."

Ocean Master's Army Featured In Aquaman Footage at SDCC

Following the debut of an all-new sneak peek of the upcoming Aquaman film, star Jason Momoa clarified one sequence that fans were sure to analyze and interpret in hopes of discovering an answer.

The scene in question involved a glimpse of an underwater army, which many fans had already hypothesized would belong to the villain Black Manta, but Momoa clarified that it was actually Ocean Master's army, not Manta's. The star explained, "I'm gonna be fighting my brother."

In addition to seeing this immense armada, the footage also featured Atlanteans riding sharks like cavalry, hinting at the immense scale of the upcoming film. In the film, which will be hitting theaters in December of 2018, Ocean Master will be played by Patrick Wilson.

Gives a new meaning to 'sharks with lasers on their heads'.

:whee:

Aquaman Director Aims To Remove The Stigma From The Character

aquaman-justice-league-999757-640x320.jp

Aquaman isn't a character people think of when they think of tough, edgy super heroes. Director of the character's upcoming standalone film James Wan, however, is planning to change that. Aquaman has never been the most respected super hero, despite playing key roles in many Justice League and DC Comics stories. The character's film is going to flip that perspective on its head with one factor alone: Jason Momoa.

“Momoa is not a guy that you would go up to and make fun of,” Wan told TheWrap. “I really think you immediately remove any of the stigma of the character from the cartoons that we are familiar with.”

Wan calls Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice director Zack Snyder's casting of Momoa for the part "a stroke of genius."

“Having said that, I’m not completely unaware of the stigma,” Wan added. “If anything, I embrace it and being able to laugh at yourself and have fun at yourself is important and that’s something I am aware of as I make Aquaman right now.”

32 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what am I looking at?

No worries.

New AQUAMAN Set Photo Provides A Closer Look At One Of The Villainous Armored Atlanteans

153228.jpg

Last week, a shot from the set of James Wan's Aquaman featured Mera (Amber Heard) being pursued across the rooftops by a pair of Ocean Master's Atlanteans sporting what appeared to be some pretty heavy armor, and now we have a much better look at one of 'em.

The photo was shared to Twitter by The Aquaman Shrine, and provides a far more detailed glimpse of the villain's mech-like armored suit... from the back and side, at any rate.

44 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I want to see black manta's costume leaked! It has the potential to be awesome. It also has the potential to be goofy though...

Actually, the actor playing Black Manta has been enjoying plenty of goofing on fans trying to sneak a peek at the costume.

VvUb3Ys.png

So I hope that hints at there is something awesome waiting in the wings.

'Aquaman' Director Shows Off Behind-The-Scenes Prop

kl9bt2r.png

To the delight (and dismay) of Wan's Instagram followers, the director marked the photo with a pun, saying that he's "having a whale of a time." Plenty of commenters have joined in on the comments, saying that they "sea" what Wan did there, and calling the director a "son of a beach."

Even with the presence of some adorable looking animals, fans can expect a much more serious adaptation of the film's titular character.

“Momoa is not a guy that you would go up to and make fun of,” Wan said earlier this year. “I really think you immediately remove any of the stigma of the character from the cartoons that we are familiar with.”

'Aquaman' Director Isn't Following 'Justice League's Path For Underwater Dialogue

HscMNRQ.png

With Aquaman's underwater abilities being one of his most fascinating attributes, fans were disappointed at the "cheat" of avoiding any actual underwater talking. Wan took to Twitter to address the concerns over the character.

Willem Dafoe Compares 'Aquaman' Director With 'Spider-Man' Director

willem-dafoe-spider-man-green-goblin-106

With his next entry being in Aquaman, an experience which he found similar to his work with director Sam Raimi on the Marvel film 15 years ago.

“James Wan and Sam Raimi are both personal filmmakers,” Dafoe told Variety. “They really have a strong personal stamp. They both have a good sense of play. They come from the handmade world and they come from the horror world, and the beautiful thing about horror movies is the film language is very rich, because you can get away with it. There’s a fantastical quality but you can also make a popular movie because it’s a very accessible genre.”

Wan's career kicked off with the low-budget horror Saw, which has seen seven sequels since its debut in 2004. Wan kept the horror trend by directing films like Insidious and The Conjuring, eventually making the jump to big-budget action with Furious 7. Thanks to that film's more than $1.5 billion worldwide gross, Wan proved his skills of multiple genres, leading to accepting the reins for Aquaman.

First Look at Jason Momoa in 'Aquaman'

aquaman-high-res-1064136.jpg

The first look at Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry, also known as the titular hero in the standalone Aquaman film, has been revealed.

The photo was first revealed by EW, showing off Momoa fully covered in the Aquaman tattoos and emerging from a shadowy location, possibly aboard a submarine or ship. After all, this is a character who will be frustrated by how human have treated the earth and its oceans, and nothing about his appearance in this photo looks happy to see what's in front of him.

"He really was this outsider and lived on the fringes of society," Momoa told ComicBook.com in an exclusive interivew. "We talked about him just being raised with his father, this blue collar worker. His father was a lighthouse keeper, but I probably worked on oil rigs. I'd be underwater and I could just rip the rig off and just weld."

Momoa says the Aquaman seen in Justice League is really just "a weekend in his life," as the true evolution of the character is to be seen in the origin film.

"And that was when I was alone," Momoa said. "There's people that I would save, that I could save, and there's people that I couldn't. The human side of me is that heartbreak of he couldn't save someone. Not knowing what to with these powers, he was a drinker. He'd just down that emotion. He couldn't ever get that out.

Now realizing how much of a stranglehold James Wan has on WB to stay out of his way (published February 2017)...

..I feel like more than ever Aquaman will be another Wonder Woman. And prove out if WB stays the heck out of the way of the directors and plans they agree to, this will work out in the end.