• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

Jason Momoa isn't a star and nobody has gone to see a movie just because of the director since Alfred Hitchcock. I can't believe anybody actually thinks this is a good idea. This movie is going to tank.

-J.

Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans... man lots of Chris's... Henry Cavill...

Jason Momoa isn't a star and nobody has gone to see a movie just because of the director since Alfred Hitchcock. I can't believe anybody actually thinks this is a good idea. This movie is going to tank.

-J.

Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans... man lots of Chris's... Henry Cavill...

Those guys are "stars"? (shrug)

They're just dudes who have been lucky enough to get cast in some successful movies that would have been successful regardless.

-J.

-J.

They're just dudes who have been lucky enough to get cast in some successful movies that would have been successful regardless.

-J.

No, that's my point exactly. Those dudes aren't stars, and yet they're in comic movies that are very successful and entertaining...

-J.

-J.

No, that's my point exactly. Those dudes aren't stars, and yet they're in comic movies that are very successful and entertaining...

He missed it.

As long as the -script is strong and the tie in with BvS then the JLA flicks for the character works, the movie will do well whether JM is a star or not.

Edited by kimik

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

As long as the -script is strong and the tie in with BvS then the JLA flicks for the character works, the movie will do well whether JM is a star or not.

No , he missed it.

No such movie can be concocted around this character.

And the MOS -script was "strong"? What ? lol

-J.

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

No , he missed it.

-J.

lol the argument you're making here is different than the ones you made earlier...

But I understand why Aquaman gets no love, which is why I'm doubly rooting for this movie!

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

No , he missed it.

-J.

lol the argument you're making here is different than the ones you made earlier...

But I understand why Aquaman gets no love, which is why I'm doubly rooting for this movie!

The thrust of my original post was that because Momoa is no star and nobody cares about James Wan or how much money Furious 7 made, this movie about "Aquaman" (in quotes, because whatever Momoa was supposed to be dressed as in that one picture sure as hell was not Aquaman) has no chance of being anything other than laughable and a waste of both money and fan goodwill IMO. :boo:

Marvel got lucky with GOTG. They are probably pushing their luck with Ant-man.

And DC ain't no Marvel when it comes to making decent super hero movies as it is.

-J.

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

No , he missed it.

-J.

The thrust of my original post was that because Momoa is no star and nobody cares about James Wan or how much money Furious 7 made, this movie about "Aquaman" (in quotes, because whatever Momoa was supposed to be dressed as in that one picture sure as hell was not Aquaman) has no chance of being anything other than laughable and a waste of both money and fan goodwill in my opinion.

And DC ain't no Marvel when it comes to making decent super hero movies as it is.

-J.

We're kind of talking in circles now, but that's okay. It's been shown that a comic movie doesn't need to have a star or a name director for it to be successful and entertaining. I don't see how anyone can dismiss out of hand the possibility that an Aquaman movie could also have a similar chance of success. It really depends on the -script, the director and lightning in a bottle. But to say years ahead of its release (before a -script, or a trailer or much of anything really) that it has "no chance" is a pretty strong statement.

Heck, the movie might still not even get made!

Still, I respect the dogged hate on you have for this film. It's good to be passionate about our hobby. lol

There is one really good story for an Aquaman (or Namor for that matter) movie. You roll the credits with the star-crossed love of the parents and show the kid going down to Atlantis. You can do 15-20 minutes on how weird and cool, and different Atlantis is. Then you reveal the threat to Atlantis (which likely threatens the landlubbers too.)

Aquaman (or Namor) goes to America and is a fish out of water for 30-40 minutes, even becoming a target of the American military if it is perceived that he is tied to the "threat." He proves he is a hero, kicks the snot out of the threat, hopefully makes out with Wonder Woman and/or Mera. Roll credits.

700 MM worldwide. Boom.

There is one really good story for an Aquaman (or Namor for that matter) movie. You roll the credits with the star-crossed love of the parents and show the kid going down to Atlantis. You can do 15-20 minutes on how weird and cool, and different Atlantis is. Then you reveal the threat to Atlantis (which likely threatens the landlubbers too.)

Aquaman (or Namor) goes to America and is a fish out of water for 30-40 minutes, even becoming a target of the American military if it is perceived that he is tied to the "threat." He proves he is a hero, kicks the snot out of the threat, hopefully makes out with Wonder Woman and/or Mera. Roll credits.

700 MM worldwide. Boom.

Sounds like a cross between "The Little Mermaid" and "Splash".

-J.

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

No , he missed it.

-J.

The thrust of my original post was that because Momoa is no star and nobody cares about James Wan or how much money Furious 7 made, this movie about "Aquaman" (in quotes, because whatever Momoa was supposed to be dressed as in that one picture sure as hell was not Aquaman) has no chance of being anything other than laughable and a waste of both money and fan goodwill in my opinion.

-J.

We're kind of talking in circles now, but that's okay. It's been shown that a comic movie doesn't need to have a star or a name director for it to be successful and entertaining. I don't see how anyone can dismiss out of hand the possibility that an Aquaman movie could also have a similar chance of success. It really depends on the -script, the director and lightning in a bottle. But to say years ahead of its release (before a -script, or a trailer or much of anything really) that it has "no chance" is a pretty strong statement.

Still, I respect the dogged hate on you have for this film. It's good to be passionate about our hobby. lol

lol No hate. I would just rather see them get a Superman movie right before they start trying to over-reach and delve into these other C list characters.

Honestly I don't think the "Wonder Woman" movie will work well either. Some characters just don't translate well, and I think she will be another one.

-J.

700 MM worldwide. Boom.

Sounds like a cross between "The Little Mermaid" and "Splash".

-J.

More like a cross between Awesome and Holy mess!

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

No , he missed it.

-J.

The thrust of my original post was that because Momoa is no star and nobody cares about James Wan or how much money Furious 7 made, this movie about "Aquaman" (in quotes, because whatever Momoa was supposed to be dressed as in that one picture sure as hell was not Aquaman) has no chance of being anything other than laughable and a waste of both money and fan goodwill IMO. :boo:

-J.

Marvel at least started from zero with GOTG. Nobody had ever heard of them, and thus had no preconceptions, positive or negative.

Aquaman has been the butt of a joke for what, 20 years? Even the Big Bang cast pretty routinely make fun of Aquaman (or at least used to, haven't seen it in about two years). In making his film DC has to overcome a ton of outright dismissal of Aquaman as a cool and interesting character. Average guy on the street will definitely see a Batman or Superman film. But Aquaman?

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

No , he missed it.

-J.

-J.

Marvel at least started from zero with GOTG. Nobody had ever heard of them, and thus had no preconceptions, positive or negative.

Aquaman has been the butt of a joke for what, 20 years? Even the Big Bang cast pretty routinely make fun of Aquaman (or at least used to, haven't seen it in about two years). In making his film DC has to overcome a ton of outright dismissal of Aquaman as a cool and interesting character. Average guy on the street will definitely see a Batman or Superman film. But Aquaman?

+1

That is the gist of what I was trying to say earlier.

The fact that "Jason Momoa" (*yawn*) is the "star" and James Wan (who cares?) is the director, will not hardly be enough to overcome any of that.

-J.

-J.

-J.

He missed it.

No , he missed it.

-J.

-J.

lol No hate. I would just rather see them get a Superman movie right before they start trying to over-reach and delve into these other C list characters.

Honestly I don't think the "Wonder Woman" movie will work well either. Some characters just don't translate well, and I think she will be another one.

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

To the bolded part: a-frikin'-men, brother.

And I'm inclined to agree with the rest too.