• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you earn the designation of being a professional grader?

15 posts in this topic

I'd guess a majority of e-bay sales templates say something about the seller not being a professional grader. This seems to be a standard thing to put in there and I think I fall into this category. lol But what do you need to do to be considered a "professional" grader?

The dictionary says professional is "(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime." Does that mean you have to grade for a living to be considered a professional at it? The dictionary also give the definition "of, relating to, or connected with a profession." I don't know if many people would consider selling or grading comic books a professional career so is it tough to meet this criteria?

You have to win the grading contest here, clearly!

That would mean ComicDey is hogging all the professional designations.

Also, what benefits does a professional grader get?

If they create an eBay ad, do they say "I am a professional grader and my opinion is accurate."?

If you purchase from them, are you entitled to an opinion? If I'm not a professional grader but the seller is, does that mean my opinion is not accurate and doesn't matter? Am I allowed to disagree with the seller in that case?

A professional grader must hold these qualifications:

1) Hold a BS in science and history

2) Hold a MS in chemistry and physics

3) Have had a minimum 10 year apprenticeship at the Louvre's restoration labs

4) Must have first hand experience working printing presses and have a complete mastery of the manufacture of a comic

5) Possess the steady hands and acute vision of a neurosurgeon

6) Have a minimum of 5 years apprenticeship at a reputable professional grading company under the keen supervision of the chief grader.

Only 5% of candidates make it through and have an average age of 47.

or

Live in your mom's basement and know how to work a sonic encapsulating machine.

But what do you need to do to be considered a "professional" grader?

Pay me to grade your comics and I'll let you know.

Crud, wish you would have said something sooner. I just sent all my books off to PGX :cry:

Crud, wish you would have said something sooner. I just sent all my books off to PGX :cry:

Though you were looking for a professional grader,,,,,,,,

I do not really think that the title "professional grader" is really something you achieve or accomplish - if you are assigning books grades and selling - you really are by default. Weather or not you are experienced, consistent and accurate is another story.

I think the "I am not a professional grader" statement just an out for someone who will not stand by their grades.

In order to become a professional grader, you need a really fancy & dapper hat. It's a process. And there's a ceremony involved. It's very hush-hush though. Secret societies and stuff.

Also, what benefits does a professional grader get?

If they create an eBay ad, do they say "I am a professional grader and my opinion is accurate."?

If you purchase from them, are you entitled to an opinion? If I'm not a professional grader but the seller is, does that mean my opinion is not accurate and doesn't matter? Am I allowed to disagree with the seller in that case?

This is a great point. "Reasonable" people (if by their own definition or the opinion of others) agree that "grading is subjective" and thus disagree on the grade of a particular book all the time. People take issue with the grades of slabbed books all over these boards, and those books have been assigned those grades by the literal definition of a professional grader(s).

Though you were looking for a professional grader,,,,,,,,

I do not really think that the title "professional grader" is really something you achieve or accomplish - if you are assigning books grades and selling - you really are by default. Weather or not you are experienced, consistent and accurate is another story.

I think the "I am not a professional grader" statement just an out for someone who will not stand by their grades.

I tend to agree with this and generally avoid Ebay sellers who say this. Though I will admit from time to time I have bought from some of them because the scans were good enough to determine a grade for myself.