• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Census results for DC

30 posts in this topic

Have u noticed that when u go to a small local or big annual comicon, 90% of the silver dealers will have a nice supply of Marvels? Only about 10% of them have silver DC, Charlton, Dell, Gold Key. When u run around & try to buy collections, 90% are silver & bronze Marvels. U have to dig & dig to find DC or Gold Key collections. Even worse if u try to find a run of Archies fr 50s, 60s or 70s. frown.gif

High grade DC is HOT! Silver Age DC 9.4 or better also commands a premium, SO WHY AREN"T THERE AS MANY 9.4 DCS PRESENT ON THE CENSUS?!!!!

Basically, what I'm trying to get at is this....

Is a DC 9.4 from the silverage less common than a Marvel 9.4 from the same time period? If I buy a 9.4 DC now because it's "the highest on the census", will 10 more 9.4s pop up when DC gets trendy again??? (Thus lowering the value of the book I just purchased?) I am not sure if a 9.4 silver age DC's value is inflated because MOST JUST HAVEN"T BEEN SLABBED or THERE ARE JUST FEWER OUT THERE!!!

I am trying to asses the true value of a 9.4+ DC based on the information the census supplies us. Do you think more high grade DCs will show up on the census with time (relative to Marvel)? Thanks again for any info!

I think it's tough to equate any Silver Age comic as truly rare, and as we've seen in the past, even a sniff of whacky prices tends to bring them out of the woodwork. Never buy on perceived scarcity or you'll end up being disappointed when the CGC census starts to fill up quick.

Buy what you like at a price and condition you can live with. That way, when it's time to pay the CGC Piper, you won't lose out.

Do you think more high grade DCs will show up on the census with time (relative to Marvel)?

Yes, I do. Remember back in the 80's when DC started escalationg in price and were becoming "hot"? Well the same thing will happen again. As more and more of the fast-buckers keep hawking their 9.x Marvels and the prices keep going up and up - folks are going to start looking to other areas just as they did back when DC started hitting a stride.

I think a lot of DC's War comics are hotter then Marvels right now. I've sold several Our Army At War and Star Spangled War Stories and have gotten way higher then some Marvels I've sold. Right now a normal DC war comic could sell higher then a normal Marvel. None of this is about key issues, just the everyday middle grade stuff. War issues are just hot and DC has the majority of them.