• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AKIRA Live from Warner Bros
1 1

46 posts in this topic

Rumor: AKIRA To Be Trilogy, Christopher Nolan Possibly Involved

The saga of the long-gestating Warner Bros.’ live action adaptation of Akira is a rumor that suggests the project will be a trilogy, and that The Dark Knight’s Christopher Nolan has spoken to Warner Bros. about taking on the project.

Den of Geek reports that they’ve heard Nolan has met with within the past three months with an unnamed filmmaker previously attached to the project. Nolan’s next film is slated for July 2017 and, while no details about the film have been released, the gears on this massive project would have to be spinning pretty fast for the first Akira movie to make it to theaters by then. That said, Akira would make for an appropriately huge summer blockbuster effort.

:facepalm: Unless they actually have this take place in JAPAN and have primarily Asian actors and is at least R then I won't see this. Why call it AKIRA if it takes place in the states with White people? :facepalm:

Rumor: AKIRA To Be Trilogy, Christopher Nolan Possibly Involved

The saga of the long-gestating Warner Bros.’ live action adaptation of Akira is a rumor that suggests the project will be a trilogy, and that The Dark Knight’s Christopher Nolan has spoken to Warner Bros. about taking on the project.

Den of Geek reports that they’ve heard Nolan has met with within the past three months with an unnamed filmmaker previously attached to the project. Nolan’s next film is slated for July 2017 and, while no details about the film have been released, the gears on this massive project would have to be spinning pretty fast for the first Akira movie to make it to theaters by then. That said, Akira would make for an appropriately huge summer blockbuster effort.

:facepalm: Unless they actually have this take place in JAPAN and have primarily Asian actors and is at least R then I won't see this. Why call it AKIRA if it takes place in the states with White people? :facepalm:
if it has the soul and spirit of Akira and true to the manga it could be awesome. but we still have to wait and see if it's true first.

Have no fear. Disney is here to take your attention off this movie and saving the day.

Disney Developing New Mary Poppins Movie

Walt Disney is developing a new Mary Poppins music film.

Into the Woods director Rob Marshall and producers John DeLuca and Marc Platt will handle the project for the Studio.

The film will take place 20 years after the original Mary Poppins, in Depression-era London. Where the Julie Andrews original was largely based on the first book in the Mary Poppins series, the new film will draw from the remaining seven installments of P.L. Travers’ children’s books. While the film will not be a proper sequel, it will continue Mary’s adventures with the Banks family.

This is a colossally bad idea.

White Washed.It won`t be Akira. This is the reverse of other brilliant Hollywood moves.

They should just stick to what worked in the comics. Sometimes change isn`t a good thing.

btw,

I put Akira up there with Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns as the holy trinity of best comics of the 1980s.

Let`s hope it takes place in Japan. :wishluck:

This is a colossally bad idea.

White Washed.It won`t be Akira. This is the reverse of other brilliant Hollywood moves.

They should just stick to what worked in the comics. Sometimes change isn`t a good thing.

btw,

I put Akira up there with Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns as the holy trinity of best comics of the 1980s.

Let`s hope it takes place in Japan. :wishluck:

I have a different 80's Trinity, but I respect yours. (I'd swap out Akira for Nexus).

I'm ready for a live action Voltron. Done right. That property could be AMAZING and everything that Bayformers isn't.

George Miller Declined Offer To Direct AKIRA Movie

"Do I look that crazy to direct this movie?"

(:

"There was talk of it, but I've got so many things on my dance card, I don't have the time to do everything. " But was Miller's disinterest in Akira partly due to the fact that Fury Road was inspired by it? More than one anime fan has pointed out the similarities between the two films. "I don't know where that came from. I'm a huge fan of anime and the precision of that and to some degree Manga, even though I don't read Japanese, but just the aesthetic of it. So Akira might have been one of the many movies but it certainly wasn't one that directly influenced Mad Max."

Warner Bros. Is Courting STAR TREK BEYOND Director Justin Lin To Helm Their Live-Action AKIRA Movie

Warner Bros. is still determined to produce that live-action take on Akira. Its planned adaptation of the classic Manga/Anime has been in and out of development in some form or another since way back in 2002, with the likes of Stephen Norrington, Gary Whitta, Albert Hughes, Ruairi Robinson, and Jaume Collet-Serra all attached to direct at various different times over the years.

Despite fierce fan-backlash over the decision to relocate the story to the U.S. and "whitewash" the characters, former The Wrap editor Jeff Sneider reckons the studio are now courting Justin Lin (Star Trek Beyond, The Fast and the Furious 3-6) to helm the project.

Jordan Peele Rumored To Direct The Flash & Akira

Following the huge success of Get Out, it's reported WB is courting Jordan Peele for Akira and possibly The Flash movie.

Tracking Board reports the info came out of sources from last night's Cinemacon where it's said Jordan Peele is in talks for the live-action Akira movie, and that talks have been encouraging.

Regarding The Flash movie, which has already gone through three or more directors, it's reported WB could end up asking Jordan Peele to direct it. As of now, it almost seems as if The Flash movie has been put on the back-burner as Ezra Miller is doing other projects and the --script looks to be getting another rewrite (and probably another rewrite when a new director is found). Attention seems to be shifting more toward James Wan and Jason Momoa's Aquaman which is now filming.

Why Jordan Peele Turned Down Akira

Reports hit that Warner Bros. was hoping for Peele to hop on their adaptation of Akira, the classic ‘80s manga and anime movie. But Peele went with Universal and Blumhouse to bring another one of his own creations to life.

Now the director spoke with Blumhouse about why he decided not to take on the project while promoting the Blu-ray and DVD release of Get Out.

"I think [I could do it] if the story justifies it,” Peele said. “AKIRA is one of my favorite movies, and I think obviously the story justifies as big a budget as you can possibly dream of. But the real question for me is: Do I want to do pre-existing material, or do I want to do original content? At the end of the day, I want to do original stuff."

You'd have to think he also turned it down because of all the animated content to translate to live action Akira is by far one of the hardest and therefore riskiest.  He'd be risking his future career if he screwed it up.

I'm not even sure it's possible to do well.

'Akira' Remake Reportedly Eyeing 'Thor: Ragnarok's Taika Waititi To Direct

taika-waititi-akira-remake-reboot-102170

The live-action remake of Akira might have found a new director.

Deadline is reporting that Warner Bros. is currently negotiating with Thor: Ragnarok's Taika Waititi to direct the picture. The film will take place in a dystopian 'New Manhattan' in 2019, and follow a leader of a biker gang who saves his friend from a medical experiment.

Edited by Bosco685

On 6/10/2015 at 9:48 AM, Marvelfangirl said:

I wonder if the positive reviews for Mad Max:Fury Road had anything to do with the sudden revival of Akira hm

Warner Brothers' biggest movie of 2018 features a key Akira scene.  They are hoping to piggy back off of that.

'Akira' Live-Action Synopsis Reveals Details

Recently, fans were given new insight into Akira when Production Weekly put out its most recent issue. The trade magazine posted an update on Akira, and it included a preliminary summary for the project. The description can be read below in its entirety:

"When a young man’s telekinesis is discovered by the military, he is taken in to be turned into a super weapon and his brother must race to save him before Manhattan is destroyed by his powers. Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother Tetsuo is abducted by Government agents lead by the Colonel. Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City 30 years ago when it was destroyed.

Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous, but after facing his brother again is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers. Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy. Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo’s mind, Kaneda clashes with the Colonel’s troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira, but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island as he did thirty years ago."

The summary provided confirms a few things about Akira’s fate in Hollywood. While details of the film are subject to change this far out, it seems the military plot crafted by creator Katsuhiro Otomo will be the same for the most part. However, there are a few major differences detailed in this blurb which differ from the original title.

For one, this version of Akira seems like it will take place in Neo-Manhattan rather than Neo-Tokyo. This change is causing the greatest outcry amongst fans on social media, and it isn’t hard to figure out why. Fans don’t understand why the film needs to be shifted from an eastern setting, and they are making that confusion loud and clear.

Other changes have to do with Kaneda and Tetsuo. The leads have retained their names from the original series, but Kaneda isn’t mentioned as the leader of bike gang; Instead, the protagonist is said to be a bartender, and he is brothers with Tetsuo now rather than best friends. These changes add up with the addition of Ky Reed, a rebellion leader whose role was once reported to be offered to Kristen Stewart. So, for now, fans will have to see how many of these changes will live on to active production on Akira.

These changes being called out seems to be reporting food for the machine to drive clicks.