• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recil Macon's - Where Are They And Why Are They Not Being Slabbed
1 1

75 posts in this topic

Amazing pictures. What year was this collection unearthed?

According to the attached link (with pictures), it looks like the collection surfaced out of Texas in 1990:

http://passionforcomics.weebly.com/

Yes. The first time I saw any of them was in the summer of '90 at a smallish local show. Greg Buls was set up and started unloading and displaying all of these cool Timelys. I bought four books then. Wish I had bought more but I had only recently opened my first store and I was still a little cash-poor and afraid to take risk.

I have 7 unslabbed issues of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories between #12-27. Most are subscription copies stamped with Recil's address. The first few issues have no writing, but all the later issues show him experimenting writing his name. He also completed the subscription coupon on several issues with his full address so it looks as if he liked this title.

According to the attached link (with pictures), it looks like the collection surfaced out of Texas in 1990:

Yes. The first time I saw any of them was in the summer of '90 at a smallish local show. Greg Buls was set up and started unloading and displaying all of these cool Timelys. I bought four books then. Wish I had bought more but I had only recently opened my first store and I was still a little cash-poor and afraid to take risk.

What was your impression on the overall condition of the books that you saw?

From reading the various articles on this collection, it would almost seem that the bulk of the collection was subject to improper storage and would require subsequent cleaning and pressing by Susan in order to get rid of the bends and warps.

Any insight on your part would be greatly appreciated since you were actually there at the time of the collection's initial public display.

I have 7 unslabbed issues of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories between #12-27. Most are subscription copies stamped with Recil's address. The first few issues have no writing, but all the later issues show him experimenting writing his name. He also completed the subscription coupon on several issues with his full address so it looks as if he liked this title.

(thumbs u

What was your impression on the overall condition of the books that you saw?

From reading the various articles on this collection, it would almost seem that the bulk of the collection was subject to improper storage and would require subsequent cleaning and pressing by Susan in order to get rid of the bends and warps.

Any insight on your part would be greatly appreciated since you were actually there at the time of the collection's initial public display.

My understanding is that Greg had them all pressed by Susan before offering them for sale. They looked beautiful and flat when I saw them. My only issue with them was how and where Recil wrote his name. Some of them had multiple names written, some had other writing, and some just had bad name placement. But overall the books were in very nice shape and had great eye appeal. And there were some that had no name at all. Those were the ones I tried to get.

My understanding is that Greg had them all pressed by Susan before offering them for sale.

Interesting, as that wouldn't cause the PLOD's we've seen on some of the books.

Makes one even more curious what Anderson did with them afterwards, but as noted previously we'll never know for sure.

Apologies for the bump of this but better than starting anew. Quickie question - do all of the Recil Macon's have his name written on them? He never used an RM stamp did he?

I don't think an initial stamp was used but was curious. And what are the date ranges for the collection?

Thanks

Apologies for the bump of this but better than starting anew. Quickie question - do all of the Recil Macon's have his name written on them? He never used an RM stamp did he?

I don't think an initial stamp was used but was curious. And what are the date ranges for the collection?

Thanks

some have "mid c" only.

Thanks

some have "mid c" only.

Thanks BP. I had seen that listed also - were both the recognized written name and mid-c markings only on the covers?

And anyone know the time frames for the collection?

Apologies for the bump of this but better than starting anew. Quickie question - do all of the Recil Macon's have his name written on them?

Thanks

Well, according to the post from up above, it sounds as though some of them did not have his name on the books at all:

My only issue with them was how and where Recil wrote his name. Some of them had multiple names written, some had other writing, and some just had bad name placement. But overall the books were in very nice shape and had great eye appeal. And there were some that had no name at all. Those were the ones I tried to get.

Not sure though if those would then be the ones with the mid "c's" on them? (shrug)

After his amateur efforts were finally exposed, Anderson worked quietly through Susan C. to professionally 'improve' books - my guess is that's where any Macon work was done (and no disparagement meant towards Susan C., I think she's terrific).

My understanding is that Greg had them all pressed by Susan before offering them for sale.

Interesting, as that wouldn't cause the PLOD's we've seen on some of the books.

Makes one even more curious what Anderson did with them afterwards, but as noted previously we'll never know for sure.

I believe your initial thinking might be correct here. (thumbs u

I would assume that for any books that were really in terrible enough shape that a simple press would not do the job, Dave probably got Susan to do a aqueous clean and press on the book in order to improve it. If Dave had done the work himself, then the books should have received an amateur resto designation as opposed to the professional one which they all seems to have received. hm

An interesting question here: With CGC's new Restoration Grading Scale now in place, would these Professionally Clean and Pressed books now be receiving the new quasi-stigmatized Conserved labels or would they continue to receive the old fully stigmatized PLOD labels? ???lol

Apologies for the bump of this but better than starting anew. Quickie question - do all of the Recil Macon's have his name written on them?

Thanks

Well, according to the post from up above, it sounds as though some of them did not have his name on the books at all:

My only issue with them was how and where Recil wrote his name. Some of them had multiple names written, some had other writing, and some just had bad name placement. But overall the books were in very nice shape and had great eye appeal. And there were some that had no name at all. Those were the ones I tried to get.

Not sure though if those would then be the ones with the mid "c's" on them? (shrug)

I did miss that, thanks. I picked up the mid-Cs from the pedigree site but it wasn't clear to me if all had one of those but apparently none were noted with an RM stamp.

If Dave had done the work himself, then the books should have received an amateur resto designation as opposed to the professional one which they all seems to have received. hm

You're misunderstanding things again - when talking about Anderson's amateur restoration applications, it's referring to his infamous habit of color touching books and not providing disclosure in years past, and not the Recil Macon books (which Susan C. handled).

however the absolute best part is this..

comic002-7.jpg

kid is so bored out of his mind in this deserted bit of Texas he fill out for the Fiesta Dress....

You can of course Google the address and see what it looks like...aint much going on

Edited by Doc Joe