• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recil Macon's - Where Are They And Why Are They Not Being Slabbed
1 1

75 posts in this topic

Why slab this? :shy:

WhizComics167_0RecilMacon.jpg

Why not? We have all seen some really taped up, sun/dust shadowed rip rags that have been slabbed. This one has a ding in the corner and that's not too bad.

My question was just tongue in cheek. My Whiz run is raw so there's no need to slab it. I like flipping through them when I can.

Oh. Sorry. Didn't mean to sound awn'ry. I lean toward conservation, so......

I love the tactile experience as well. What a great hobby.

I wish it were practical to PDF my books and get them all slabbed. I see nothing but disaster attempting something like that.

Well, from these few examples so far coupled with what shows up on the Heritage archives, I am surprised this collection of books was given a pedigree designation in the first place.

I was thinking the same thing just now

3) Are they not being slabbed because there is a high potential they could come back as PLOD's since some of them were apparently cleaned and pressed as many of them were warped from improper storage.

Any time that books go through the hands of Dave Anderson, there is going to be a question of what's been done to the book? So this is a very valid concern.

After his amateur efforts were finally exposed, Anderson worked quietly through Susan C. to professionally 'improve' books - my guess is that's where any Macon work was done (and no disparagement meant towards Susan C., I think she's terrific).

Some of the Macons are indeed coming back PLOD's.

My understanding is that Buls sold the bulk of books from the collection to Dave Anderson. What he subsequently did with them is unknown, and probably the key to the answers you are looking for.

As we know all too well, those answers won't be forthcoming.

What a shame. I see the All Winners # 1 has slight restoration done to it. I was wondering how that happened on a Pedigree book. What was Dave Anderson thinking ?

doh!

The collection was considered a Pedigree long before CGC was around.

The main factor was probably a combination of sheer volume and breadth of the collection as well as some higher grade copies being in the collection.

The collection was considered a Pedigree long before CGC was around.

The main factor was probably a combination of sheer volume and breadth of the collection as well as some higher grade copies being in the collection.

Thanks for the explanation :)

3) Are they not being slabbed because there is a high potential they could come back as PLOD's since some of them were apparently cleaned and pressed as many of them were warped from improper storage.

After his amateur efforts were finally exposed, Anderson worked quietly through Susan C. to professionally 'improve' books - my guess is that's where any Macon work was done (and no disparagement meant towards Susan C., I think she's terrific).

Some of the Macons are indeed coming back PLOD's.

I am actually surprised that Susan would use the aqueous method for cleaning these books.

Of course it was a different time then as Mark Wilson was notorious for wet cleaning most of his books as he did not considered it to be restoration at the time. (tsk):tonofbricks:

I'm not usually a fan of writing on a cover but that's pretty cool!

i can confirm this.

Big fan of the gams, Recil was.

Also a budding poet. Here is one of his compositions, from the back of the PL....

PL%20back_zpshwfwgj3g.jpg