• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of Agent Phil Coulson Club

19 posts in this topic

I know there has been heavy debate in the past on what book is truly the first appearance of Phil Couslon, and the context of that appearance, but now it seems CGC has modified their labels to reflect their stance on it (see below.)

It seems Coulson is in the same boat as Harley Quinn, with both characters having "first" appearances in comics that are movie or TV show tie-ins, and then years later finally have a "first" appearance in their respective regular comic universes. I'm not sure what the print run is on the Wal-mart Custom Comic, but it only came in certain Iron Man DVD bundles that Wal-mart sold in late 2008, and so far on the census, there's only my two universal 9.8 copies that I just got back, and two 9.8 Sig Series books.

18126478153_6e23079aa7_b.jpg

18126480823_cf0d9dffbe_b.jpg

So what are Battle Scars 5/6 going to say?

The label already says something along the lines of "Cheese revealed to be Phil Coulson" Here's a copy that says it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTLE-SCARS-6-First-PHIL-COULSON-in-TVs-Marvels-Agents-of-SHIELD-CGC-NMMT-9-8-/391147169347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5b12302643

I have all of these except the Walmart which will probably will end up being the book to own. The one I've been concentrating on for my PC in the Battle Scars #1 due to it being the 1st Coulson and Fury Jr in the 616. I'm a continuity guy. Of course, BA 12 and EOSV 2 don't care about continuity do they ? lol

Here is another 1st I believe. Drum roll please. lol

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=46070&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=63155

I would have thought this club would have more members by now, considering Coulson been the star of a TV show running over 5 seasons and 100 episodes at this point. Maybe he'll get another boost from the Captain Marvel movie next year.

20 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Isnt This 1st Phil? Not Cameo...(Don't get Started)

Battle_Scars_Vol_1_6.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Coulson makes his first 616 Universe appearance in Battle Scars #1 as "Cheese", so no, #6 isn't his first appearance, although the CGC label for #6 says something to the effect of "Cheese revealed to be Phil Coulson."

Ok thanks for clarification.  I never thought about cgc battle scars

56 minutes ago, Illustrious said:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Coulson makes his first 616 Universe appearance in Battle Scars #1 as "Cheese", so no, #6 isn't his first appearance, although the CGC label for #6 says something to the effect of "Cheese revealed to be Phil Coulson."

With Coulson returning to the MCU film world in "Captain Marvel" (some say he could end up being a skrull), I wonder if interest in his first appearances will pick back up any. Like I mentioned last year, I would have thought him having been the lead character on a major network TV show for 5 seasons, with two more seasons planned, would have made for more demand than what I've observed up to this point.

Edited by Illustrious