• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the worst thing you've ever done to a comic by accident?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

Well, as long as we're doing animals abusing comics stories--

When I was twelve, I left a few comics on my bed. Later that day, my cat having decided to sharpen its claws, I discovered a pile of colorful confetti where one of the comics had been. From the shredded scraps of paper, I was unable to identify the book. Only through the process of elimination did I finally figure out it was my copy of Invaders 18.

Ijiwaru Sensei sumo.gif

WTB Invaders 3 CGC 9.6 or better.

I didn't do it - it was done to my FF 5. My friend's cocker spaniel took a dump on it. 893whatthe.gif

no WAY!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Yep. It was 1977, so it wasn't TOO bad of a loss, but still, what a loss for a 12 year old. Misery. I had to rebuy a copy from Moondog's Comics in Mt. Prospect!

I didn't do it - it was done to my FF 5. My friend's cocker spaniel took a dump on it. 893whatthe.gif

If it had been my book, the dog would be just a standard "spaniel" when I was finished with it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

> WDC&S # 1 ... "fresh and supple" ... 9.4 ... plopping ... horror ... ding.

Gary,

Although noone appreciates early high grade WDC&S more than I (Steve can probably attest to that after a deal we agreed to last week), I got a good laugh out of this story. Just sorry you felt bad about it. When I bought your Mickey Mouse Magazines, it was obvious that you were into these for all the right reasons so you are easily forgiven smile.gif.

The closest I've ever come to a mishap was right before Christmas when I shipped $2,000 worth of early mid-grade WDC&S to a European collector. I realize it must sound like a bad joke, but the box actually got mixed up with a shipment of "Christmas nuts". Fortunately, he is a good friend and managed to trade in the nuts for his books a few days later.

Back in the early 80's when there were "side load" mylars for binders I chipped a TON of covers. AF #15, Adventure #247, X Men #1, even Action #10. Now none of these were top grade copies, but I made them worse! Ouch!

In the early 80's I had a friend that did "amatuer" restoration. He wasn't paying attention and erased a hole in the cover of another friends Superboy #1. Once again, not a great copy to begin with. But it got worse for the wear!

Ahh, the good old days........ stooges.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gif

As much as it pains me to admit this.

And I seriously doubt any of you know how stong the grip of a 15 month old baby can be.

Let me tell you.. it is like a vise.

There was a stack of Dracula Lives on my nightstand, and my Ellen somehow crossed the room, and grabbed the top copy in a matter of .5 seconds.. I am now the proud owner of a VERY crumpled Dracula Lives #4

The silver lining is, I let her read it after that.. and explained to her how to handle the book safely.

Not sure it all soaked in, but she did turn the pages with care as we read it. And pointed to any drawing that resembled a BAT.

So we sat on my bed and read Dracula Lives #4, wrinkles and all.

Ze-

Well, at least you made a happy ending and were able to turn it into something positive with your daughter.

During my first "run" as a collector back in the 70's, I bought a copy of X-Men #40 (mostly because Frankenstein was on the cover - I've always loved movie monsters). I showed it to my mom when I finished reading it. I started to put it back in the bag/board, when my mom decided that SHE wanted to do it. I told her to be careful because of the tape, but guess what happened? (you know what's coming, don't you?)

The tape caught the cover, right in the middle, and took a piece off when we pulled the tape off. I was mortified, and so was my mom. She felt really bad and promised to buy me another one. It wasn't a high-grade issue, but I can't stand it when my stuff gets damaged.

Maybe that's why I only bother with reading copies now. smile.gif

A few years ago I had a sharp vf+ copy of Weird Science #8. I was transferring the comic to a new mylar one day, kind of in a hurry. Turns out the mylar sleeve was defective - one of the seams had split, and as I slipped the comic in there was a rrrrriiiiipppping sound and before I could stop there was a 1" tear on the right edge of the cover. I still cringe when a think about it!

If it had been my book, the dog would be just a standard "spaniel" when I was finished with it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is so demented, I don't know where to start.

That is so demented, I don't know where to start.

acclaim.gif

As much as it pains me to admit this.

And I seriously doubt any of you know how stong the grip of a 15 month old baby can be.

Let me tell you.. it is like a vise.

There was a stack of Dracula Lives on my nightstand, and my Ellen somehow crossed the room, and grabbed the top copy in a matter of .5 seconds.. I am now the proud owner of a VERY crumpled Dracula Lives #4

The silver lining is, I let her read it after that.. and explained to her how to handle the book safely.

Not sure it all soaked in, but she did turn the pages with care as we read it. And pointed to any drawing that resembled a BAT.

So we sat on my bed and read Dracula Lives #4, wrinkles and all.

Ze-

Zee - let me get this straight . . . You read Dracula Lives to a 15-month old? What next? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2005 at 8:39 AM, flashfan-migration said:

A few years ago I had a sharp vf+ copy of Weird Science #8. I was transferring the comic to a new mylar one day, kind of in a hurry. Turns out the mylar sleeve was defective - one of the seams had split, and as I slipped the comic in there was a rrrrriiiiipppping sound and before I could stop there was a 1" tear on the right edge of the cover. I still cringe when a think about it!

long story short--got pictures of a small 12 book or so collection for sale. 1st 3 books were FF1 old restoration and Ghost 4 and Ghost 9 both Bethlehem pedigree. Arrange a meeting for yesterday. I flip through the books all still in original old bags or old mylars..no boards.. I look at back of Ghost 4 and see the back cover is now dogeared to the tune of 5 inches. he says I guess that happened after I took pictures for you last week. I am visibly upset. I was able to buy the collection and brought them back to my office.  I pull the Ghost 4 out of the mylar and just cant get over the new damage. Whatever, I put it back in the mylar and proceed to catch the dog ear and rip the book along the crease for a good 2-3 inches. Double whammy..i will never forget this series of events. The other books were Mad 3, 7, 8, 9 ,10. Silver surfer 1, Captain America 100, Sub mariner 1,2,3(1968) ,Captain Marvel 1,2,3..before and after pics below

ghost 4 back.jpeg

ghost 4 cover.jpg

Ghost 4 back cover damaged.jpg

ghost 4 mylar original back.jpg

ss1.jpeg

ff1 1.jpeg

ghost 9.jpeg

ghost 9 back.jpeg

I will never forget going over to noted SO CA collector John McLaughlin’s house. He was a very wealthy trust fund guy and was buying up every Mile High comic he could get his hands on at big money. There were several large piles of in-bagged books on the floor. One pile had a stain on the floor next to it and the bottom of the pile had an edge stain through a bunch of them. John had numerous cats that ran freely through the house. Yes, cat pee... I have seen several beautiful MH Chesslers with cat pee stains from his cats.   :facepalm:

I had a copy of Young Avengers 1 blow off a stack I was carrying...and it fell into a mud puddle.

"Why didn't you have it bagged and boarded? Why didn't you carry it more carefully?"

You don't think I ask myself that from time to time?

Edited by comicginger1789

3 hours ago, Wipple said:

long story short--got pictures of a small 12 book or so collection for sale. 1st 3 books were FF1 old restoration and Ghost 4 and Ghost 9 both Bethlehem pedigree. Arrange a meeting for yesterday. I flip through the books all still in original old bags or old mylars..no boards.. I look at back of Ghost 4 and see the back cover is now dogeared to the tune of 5 inches. he says I guess that happened after I took pictures for you last week. I am visibly upset. I was able to buy the collection and brought them back to my office.  I pull the Ghost 4 out of the mylar and just cant get over the new damage. Whatever, I put it back in the mylar and proceed to catch the dog ear and rip the book along the crease for a good 2-3 inches. Double whammy..i will never forget this series of events. The other books were Mad 3, 7, 8, 9 ,10. Silver surfer 1, Captain America 100, Sub mariner 1,2,3(1968) ,Captain Marvel 1,2,3..before and after pics below

ghost 4 back.jpeg

ghost 4 cover.jpg

Ghost 4 back cover damaged.jpg

ghost 4 mylar original back.jpg

ss1.jpeg

ff1 1.jpeg

ghost 9.jpeg

ghost 9 back.jpeg

those are all still very nice books