• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the worst thing you've ever done to a comic by accident?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

Recently I was at an estate sale and the lady adding up the prices wrote a note on top of the comic. So what she wrote on the paper transferred to the actual comic... penetrating the paper and old polybag... I allowed that to happen as I was too tired to intervene... and it was on a silver age Kirby Thor key too.. I hate when that happens... employees should be gentle when dealing/handling merchandise 

A few years ago I was taking pics of my Tomb of Dracula #1 (9.8 candidate ) before sending it to CGC and missed the bag as I put it back in and caused a 2" rip in the cover :( didnt send it in after that.

Before I knew better I caught the bag tape on the front of a Amazing Spidey #100 and caused a big tape pull - I now always remove the tape before taking it out of the bag :facepalm:

Just today I was climbing down the ladder in my comic room and walked backwards in to 3 boxes of slabs piled up waiting to be sorted, put all my weight on the top box and heard lots of cracking, just shut the door and walked away, dont have a clue what is in there or the extent of the damage :cry:

2 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

A few years ago I was taking pics of my Tomb of Dracula #1 (9.8 candidate ) before sending it to CGC and missed the bag as I put it back in and caused a 2" rip in the cover :( didnt send it in after that.

Before I knew better I caught the bag tape on the front of a Amazing Spidey #100 and caused a big tape pull - I now always remove the tape before taking it out of the bag :facepalm:

Just today I was climbing down the ladder in my comic room and walked backwards in to 3 boxes of slabs piled up waiting to be sorted, put all my weight on the top box and heard lots of cracking, just shut the door and walked away, dont have a clue what is in there or the extent of the damage :cry:

67F6654D-AF66-4A96-B0DB-B1AF00D8E7EA.gif

CFC6FE0A-D6C6-4BEA-AF53-11D028E1C685.gif

760C76C3-10C5-47F0-9CE3-6404A42AA446.gif

12 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Man,  just read this.  It is never the $3 books you mess up either.

True.  I was scanning a bunch of lois lanes and ASM 50-you guess which one got the tape pull.  :pullhair:

4 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

What I do after the ASM 50 incident is take the tape off, carry it into another room and stick it on something.

It was a great feeling when I upgraded/replaced a tape pulled FF 59 when I was younger.... Sometimes I crease or rip or tear a corner of a book I'm cleaning .. I've accidentally gotten tape on the back covers of modern comics... but the tape always comes off nicely.. its always the pre 90s books that causes trouble 

Dropped and dinged the corners on a few, being a bit clumsy.

In the early days, left some on a shelf, exposed to sunlight, with bad browning on the edges of the books as a result.

However, I do recall having a couple of accidents with a Stanley / craft knife, slitting the back covers of a Nova 1 and an early Wrightson Swamp Thing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Dropped and dinged the corners on a few, being a bit clumsy.

In the early days, left some on a shelf, exposed to sunlight, with bad browning on the edges of the books as a result.

However, I do recall having a couple of accidents with a Stanley / craft knife, slitting the back covers of a Nova 1 and an early Wrightson Swamp Thing.

I once had a devil of a time unpacking a book I got on ebay-there were layers and layers of tape cardboard and packing.  I sliced the book in an attempt to extract it.  You can go too far with packing, sellers.

The old Not-Taking-The-Tape-Off of plastic bag while removing comic. Tape sticks to comic cover. The book: An EC. :$

Oh Yeah, I threw A Dazzler #1 and She Hulk #1 across the room. But that was on purpose.

Edited by NoMan

On 9/1/2020 at 12:05 PM, littledoom said:

Recently I was at an estate sale and the lady adding up the prices wrote a note on top of the comic. So what she wrote on the paper transferred to the actual comic... penetrating the paper and old polybag... I allowed that to happen as I was too tired to intervene... and it was on a silver age Kirby Thor key too.. I hate when that happens... employees should be gentle when dealing/handling merchandise 

You are talking about an “estate sale lady” what else would you expect? Lucky for you she didn’t do that on a price sticker after she stuck it to the cover...lol

Press it?

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

You are talking about an “estate sale lady” what else would you expect? Lucky for you she didn’t do that on the cover of the book. lol

I was selling at a flea market once and brought a few boxes of cheaper old comics. 

A younger guy came up and throughly went through the boxes and pulled out nothing.

He then spotted a small pile of books I picked up earlier in the morning on the floor of my van.

He asked me how much the beater Mighty Mouse 3-D on the top of the pile was. I told him it was not for sale. He kept on whining and pestering me even though I told him the same answer. He left.

He came back several times whining and begging. Finally, I said $10. He offered me $8.! I held to $10 and he pulled out a 10 spot and I took it. 

I took a look into his eyes and tore it in half and handed it to him. He was shocked and looked like he was going to cry. I then handed him back his money and told him to beat it. 

The look on his face and just getting rid of him was well worth the buck I paid for it. He never saw the rest of the pile! 

My wife likes to bring this one up and laugh all over again - she was with me at a garage sale that advertised comics. We get there during set up and I ask if the comics were still there. The lady says yes, goes and gets a box, sets it down in front of an empty table, and before I could do anything she takes all the comics out of the box, plops them on the table and then swishes them all around with both hands so they fill up the table! She looked like she was drying off a car at a car wash! I was cringing and my wife was laughing!