• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS on Starz (2017)
3 3

163 posts in this topic

I really liked it. But in the second season, i think (when did they meet the slavic gods?), we found it hard to stay awake deep into episodes. We're old and we couldn't stay awake on them past 11. I had the same problem with Good Omens. i'm not saying that made it bad, it is just that some shows I can stay awake on.

45 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Is this worth watching? I was underwhelmed by the book.

Really good!

Yes, there are episodes where by filling viewers in on all the immigrant gods trapped in America in can feel like filler content in itself. But when you find out about the relationship of characters like Odin and Thor and where this leads the payoff in the end is both intense and emotional.

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Really good!

Yes, there are episodes where by filling viewers in on all the immigrant gods trapped in America in can feel like filler content in itself. But when you find out about the relationship of characters like Odin and Thor and where this leads the payoff in the end is both intense and emotional.

Cheers - it's on my list.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Just be ready for this Thor story being very emotional.

These are gods stuck in semi-human form, hungry for new followers. So things don't always go so smoothly for them. :(

I've read the book but I don't recall much about it.

Every show has its “transition episode”. The episode that lays the foundation of what’s to come in the final episodes. This is how I view episode seven of American Gods season three. We have three more episodes after this one, which seem like they’re going to be intense. So we have episode seven giving the rest of the season the tools to move forward.

Minor Spoilers

Spoiler

Admittedly, episode seven wasn’t necessarily my favorite in this season. BUT, I do recognize what it’s setting up. And we had some great scenes as well in this episode. My favorite parts of this episode happen in Lakeside and between Laura, Salim, and Mr. World. While we have the conclusion of the panty thief in episode seven (which, I will admit, seemed a little “thrown in there”), it’s clear that something else is brewing in Lakeside. And I don’t just mean what’s going on between Shadow and Marguerite. This season is definitely the season we see Shadow really embracing his God roots.

Don’t Mess With Salim

I never thought I would see Laura Moon and Mr. World interact with each other. It’s amazing seeing the fiery Laura come face to face with the ultimate salesman. Salim, however; really shined in this moment. Not only did his friendship with Laura shine through, but Salim presented himself as a more forward and confident person than we have seen before. Taking charge in a way that we wouldn’t think Salim would, this scene definitely goes down as one of my favorites in episode three.

We have a lot that goes on with Wednesday and his fellow Norse gods. But, what is truly big in this episode is the way Cordelia reacts to…you know what? I won’t spoil it for you. Just watch it for yourself. Needless to say, it was a big surprise how fast Cordelia bounced back, but this just adds another interesting layer to this character.

Rating: 4/5
Episode eight looks to be the real action-packed episode, so I can’t wait for that. Episode seven was certainly necessary and left me with a lot of questions – especially in regards to Bilquis. All of the players are preparing for something big to happen. And I can’t wait for that payoff.

Earlier this week the third season of American Gods officially concluded on Starz and like previous batches of episodes it's unclear if the show will continue. As viewers know the season finale took a surprise twist and revealed that Ian McShane's Mr. Wednesday had pulled a fast one on Ricky Whittle's Shadow Moon, who seemingly died and was consumed by the world tree. Readers of Neil Gaiman's original novel however will recall that these very events took place in the book, and Gaiman himself (who is still heavily involved in the show) said it would be maddening if they didn't get the opportunity to continue that story.

"If we don't get a season 4, we've ended on the single most frustrating, upsetting and maddening place that any season could possibly end," Gaiman told Entertainment Weekly in a new interview. The writer also confirmed that if the fourth season happens they will finish their adaptation of the book, meaning a fifth season would go into all new territory.

"We definitely wrap the novel in season 4," Gaiman added. "But it is open-ended, in that with each of the showrunners, I've had to sit down and say, 'Okay, this is the plot of the next American Gods book, which I have not yet written, but you need to know this, because you need to know that these characters are important, and you need to know that this thing leads to that thing. So all three of them, bless their hearts, have done things to set that up, if we ever get there."

Charles H. Eglee took on the role of showrunner for the third season and Gaiman revealed he hopes that he comes back along with a renewal.

"I sigh deeply when I learn that somebody else has left, because it means that I'm going to have to start again at the beginning with somebody, and that is literally the last thing that any of us want," Gaiman said.

The TV gods have turned their favor away from American Gods, at least for now. The series adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s novel starring Ricky Whittle and Ian McShane will not return for a fourth season on Starz, the network confirmed Monday.

The news of the premature end to the often-troubled series is not altogether unexpected, and follows the Season 3 finale on March 21. That season-ender saw Whittle’s Shadow Moon seemingly killed after a vigil at the mythical Tree of Life for his seemingly deceased and estranged father, Mr. Wednesday/Odin, played by McShane. A pivotal point in Gaiman’s book, the incident set up American Gods‘ fourth season with Wednesday taking advantage of Shadow Moon’s sacrifice for Wednesday’s own resurgence in the battle against the New Gods.

“Everyone at Starz is grateful to the dedicated cast and crew, and our partners at Fremantle who brought author and executive producer Neil Gaiman’s ever-relevant story to life that speaks to the cultural climate of our country,” a network spokesperson told Deadline today.

In typical small-screen fashion, where nobody ever says never anymore, we hear there are discussions about wrapping up the Toronto-themed series to align with Gaiman’s 2001 novel as either an event series or a TV movie. However, based on the fact American Gods has seen double-digit ratings declines from season to season, any hopes of a continuation might be more smoke than fire from the premium cabler.

Developed for TV by Bryan Fuller and Michael Green, American Gods has seen almost as much drama behind the camera as in front of it since its April 2017 premiere with the original cast that included Whittle, McShane, Orlando Jones, Emily Browning, Yetide Badaki, Bruce Langley, Crispin Glover, Kahyun Kim, Omid Abtahi, Mousa Kraish and Pablo Schreiber.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I really do hope they wrap it up somehow.  The first two seasons were pretty good, the third was definitely off the beat though.  I still enjoyed it, though it did meander somewhat.   I'd watch the finale though!

11 minutes ago, davidpg said:

I really do hope they wrap it up somehow.  The first two seasons were pretty good, the third was definitely off the beat though.  I still enjoyed it, though it did meander somewhat.   I'd watch the finale though!

Agreed. Season 3 at times was just scenes with primary cast on display. Though some of the details helped develop the overall story a little more.

But that finale scene and knowing it may or may not get addressed. Wow!

20 minutes ago, davidpg said:

Yep, would kinda suck not to get it finished.  Maybe they could get the show runners for the last season of GOT to finish it up quick ;)

:roflmao:

How can they top coffee cups and bottled water in a Medieval-like setting? There has to be a new standard set!

Neil Gaiman, the creator of American Gods, says the series will be finished in some form despite its cancellation on Starz. Based on Gaiman's epic sprawling fantasy novel of the same name, the series debuted in 2017 under showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green, with Gaiman taking on executive producer's role. While American Gods season 1 diverged from the book in many ways, it was hailed for its vibrant tone and fearless storytelling approach. Fuller and Green then left the show (or fired, depending on who is talking) midway through writing season 2.

And it all seemed to change from there. American Gods season 2 was even more of a departure from the source material and was largely a failure. Gaiman promised that season 3 would bring the series back on track, and it largely did so, tightening its focus at the same time. But the series was best by problems throughout all three seasons, from budget concerns to a rotating door of showrunners to controversy over a black cast member getting fired ahead of season 3. Then, it was announced in late March that American Gods was canceled after three seasons at Starz.

But Gaiman insists that this is not the end of American Gods. Taking to Twitter, the writer and producer say it's "definitely not dead." Paying tribute to Starz for airing the first three seasons of the show, Gaiman says he and Fremantle, the production company behind American Gods, will finish the story. They need to figure out how to do so and where that will happen. 

:headbang:

Ever since Starz canceled American Gods in March, there’s been talk of the show finding a new home. Neil Gaiman has repeatedly hinted at a future for the show, saying “It’s definitely not dead.” At the time, it remained unclear what form a continuation of American Gods might take. Would be a full-fledged fourth season? Or one final TV film, wrapping up the storylines? Or, perhaps, even a handful of special episodes – not enough to be a proper season, but more than one?

Recently, there hasn’t been much in the way of American Gods-related news. But that doesn’t mean all hope is lost. In fact, according to Gaiman, things are still moving forward behind the scenes. In response to one fan asking him on Twitter if there was any news about the rumored American Gods wrap-up movie/special, Gaiman said that things “are looking good.” When another fan asked if there was any movement on a potential fourth season, Gaiman replied: “They are still planning some wrap up specials.” Sure, none of this can be taken as a confirmation of new American Gods episodes/specials/etc. But there is hope.

It’s important to note that as of publication, no network has picked up American Gods. It is still a show in search of a home. However, if I had to guess the most likely candidate to save American Gods, I’d say Amazon Prime. Neil Gaiman (and his production company, The Blank Corporation) already has an overall deal with Amazon Studios. Per the deal, Gaiman will develop shows for Amazon Studios that will be distributed by Amazon Prime. (This is basically how the surprise-renewal of Good Omens happened.)

18 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

How about a reboot?  The Starz show was terrible and not near as good as the book.