• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS on Starz (2017)
3 3

163 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I'm pretty sure there was a way to edit this scene to make it appeal to all viewers but it was probably directed that way just to spark a conversation along those lines of "what can we and can't we show". 

Which I'm going to avoid. 

So feel free to support it while I won't. 

Cool?

I think that was the only gay sex scene in the book if that helps.  The rest of the story gets even better if they keep to the book.

26 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I'm pretty sure there was a way to edit this scene to make it appeal to all viewers but it was probably directed that way just to spark a conversation along those lines of "what can we and can't we show". 

Which I'm going to avoid. 

So feel free to support it while I won't. 

Cool?

As other people have also mentioned, that scene was pretty much the same as it's depicted in the book.

You may not like it, you may stop watching the show because of it, but calling on them to censor the source material simply because it offends your sensibilities seems a bit disingenuous. 

I, for one, think they're doing an amazing job with this show - couldn't be happier.

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

but calling on them to censor the source material simply because it offends your sensibilities seems a bit disingenuous

Where did I say that? 

Read again

Youre actually partaking in the conversation I predicted was to happen

It was definitely true to the source material. I knew it was coming, fast forwarded through it, but still saw enough to say "Yahhh!!" Personally I have no horse in the race, it wont keep me from watching it, but it definitely is not for the timid. It's really a shame though, it was a great episode beyond "the scene" and not many are actually talking about it. I was worried they were going to skip the second checkers game, I'm happy they didn't. I found it odd they went all the way with the cab scene, but they were very conservative with the youngest sister on the rooftop. In the book it was implied you could see through her clothes and quite the opposite was true in the show. I think they cast Shadow perfectly as well.

Edited by Harley Troy

22 minutes ago, Harley Troy said:

It was definitely true to the source material. I knew it was coming, fast forwarded through it, but still saw enough to say "Yahhh!!" Personally I have no horse in the race, it wont keep me from watching it, but it definitely is not for the timid. It's really a shame though, it was a great episode beyond "the scene" and not many are actually talking about it. I was worried they were going to skip the second checkers game, I'm happy they didn't. I found it odd they went all the way with the cab scene, but they were very conservative with the youngest sister on the rooftop. In the book it was implied you could see through her clothes and quite the opposite was true in the show. I think they cast Shadow perfectly as well.

Yea - I didn't much like the roof top scene but they all can't be perfect.  There was really no chemistry between the youngest sister and Shadow which was evident in the book.  But I agree Shadow and Wednesday are perfect castings.

27 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Where did I say that? 

Read again

Youre actually partaking in the conversation I predicted was to happen

Right here:

Instead of simply acknowledging that the scene was directed in a way that meant it stayed faithful to the source material (which may not be to your liking), you were calling on them to edit it "to make it appeal to all viewers". How is that not asking for censorship based on your personal sensibilities?

12 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

Right here:

Instead of simply acknowledging that the scene was directed in a way that meant it stayed faithful to the source material (which may not be to your liking), you were calling on them to edit it "to make it appeal to all viewers". How is that not asking for censorship based on your personal sensibilities?

How does suggesting alternative cinematography indicates something I demand happen?????

I acknowledge the fact that they adapted it to suit their artistic preference (even though it was probably done for other reasons), which is what made me reject it.  Am I not allowed to say that??

55 minutes ago, Harley Troy said:

Exactly.

That scene has nothing to do with "staying true to source material". The book is not about that scene alone. There were many things that were interpreted differently in the show, you pointed to one of them. 

Nothing in what I wrote suggests being faithful to the book or not. Im just the viewer (and a very disappointed one in that)

Its what the show's creative team chooses to amplify or modify according to their point of view.

46 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

How does suggesting alternative cinematography indicates something I demand happen?????

I acknowledge the fact that they adapted it to suit their artistic preference (even though it was probably done for other reasons), which is what made me reject it.  Am I not allowed to say that??

You really don't see the irony in decrying imaginary censorship from my side while at the same time advocating that the show's director should have censored their artistic vision to bring you an experience that could appeal to "all viewers" (whatever that means)?

12 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

You really don't see the irony in decrying imaginary censorship from my side while at the same time advocating that the show's director should have censored their artistic vision to bring you an experience that could appeal to "all viewers" (whatever that means)?

Thank you for (finally) acknowledging that I didnt "call on them to censor" that scene.

Decrying imaginary censorship? 

Thats not accurate either

try again please

Edited by Aweandlorder

18 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

If you wore a T-Shirt with offensive graphics and walked around publicly with it I will chose to ignore you in the same manner I chose to ignore this show

I may also go publicly and explain why I was offended by it and SUGGEST you may wanna consider wearing something else, just like I have with this show

But whatever you chose to wear in public is your business

Edited by Aweandlorder

16 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

If you wore a T-Shirt with offensive graphics and walked around publicly with it I will chose to ignore you in the same manner I chose to ignore this show

I may also go publicly and explain why I was offended by it and SUGGEST you may wanna consider wearing something else, just like I have with this show

But whatever you chose to wear in public is your business

You were offended by the graphic depiction of gay sex in a TV show based on novel that contains multiple instances of graphic depictions of both straight & gay sex that you yourself chose to watch.

See the difference?

You're free to be offended by this, just like you're free to float your opinion that the show's director should have censored that particular scene as to not offend your personal sensibilities.

Just like I'm equally free to point out that I believe this would disingenuous to the source material.

4 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

You were offended by the graphic depiction of gay sex in a TV show based on novel that contains multiple instances of graphic depictions of both straight & gay sex that you yourself chose to watch.

See the difference?

You're free to be offended by this, just like you're free to float your opinion that the show's director should have censored that particular scene as to not offend your personal sensibilities.

Just like I'm equally free to point out that I believe this would disingenuous to the source material.

Some people who watch this show may have not read the book :gossip:

9 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

Bilquis absorbs a man through her private parts during sex in the very first episode.

After spending a few minutes to decipher your posts I think its safe to say that you assume that all viewers of the show HAVE to read the book in order to enjoy it. And they also HAVE to be pro explicit sexual scenes in order to appreciate its artistic value and they also dare not speak about it if it offends them

Amazing

Can you also tell what I had for breakfast?

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

After spending a few minutes to decipher your posts I think its safe to say that you assume that all viewers of the show HAVE to read the book in order to enjoy it. And they also HAVE to be pro explicit sexual scenes in order to appreciate its artistic value and they also dare not speak about it if it offends them

Amazing

Can you also tell what I had for breakfast?

Not in the slightest. My wife has never read the book and she's thoroughly enjoying the show.

I am merely pointing out that it was fairly obvious from the very first episode that this show would depict graphic sexual acts & nudity.