• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS on Starz (2017)
3 3

163 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, piper said:

The scene largely took place the same way in the book. 2c

Oh, I realize there are racy scenes in American Gods from reading it when the book was first released. I was wondering how true they would be to the material.

A few months back, there was an interview with Neil Gaiman where he shared that was his biggest concern. Then once he read the -script, his concerns were lessened. I wonder what we have ahead?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh, I realize there are racy scenes in American Gods from reading it when the book was first released. I was wondering how true they would be to the material.

A few months back, there was an interview with Neil Gaiman where he shared that was his biggest concern. Then once he read the --script, his concerns were lessened. I wonder what we have ahead?

I would say more of the same.

That opening Viking scene was also really hard to watch. 

As I have stated earlier in this thread regarding the first episode, I have never read the source material and am enjoying this series. This last episode with the gay scene, while it made me a bit uncomfortable, did not in any way change my mind about thinking this was another great episode. The scene may disturb some but there are a number of things that go on in real life that are different and unfamiliar with a lot of people. I love horror movies and there are certain scenes in some that depict graphic violence that also makes me slightly uncomfortable. They are still great movie IMO.

15 minutes ago, Jayman said:

As I have stated earlier in this thread regarding the first episode, I have never read the source material and am enjoying this series. This last episode with the gay scene, while it made me a bit uncomfortable, did not in any way change my mind about thinking this was another great episode. The scene may disturb some but there are a number of things that go on in real life that are different and unfamiliar with a lot of people. I love horror movies and there are certain scenes in some that depict graphic violence that also makes me slightly uncomfortable. They are still great movie IMO.

Well said!

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, Jayman said:

I have read the book twice and figured this scene would stay faithful to the book based on what they had done in the earlier episodes. What made me uncomfortable was that I was at the gym jogging on the treadmill and the people on my left and right were able to see the scene as well.

Last night was a really cool episode. And I must say, Gillian Anderson is cranking out the characters in this show (Lucille Ball, David Bowie, Marilyn Monroe).

American Gods: Gillian Anderson on becoming Marilyn Monroe and David Bowie

American Gods debuted not one but two brand new looks for everyone’s favorite second-screen experience: Media, the god of screens big and small, made two bold appearances in the series’ fifth episode.

First came Media’s take on David Bowie, a manifestation of Ziggy Stardust to confront the bratty Technical Boy about his wayward behavior against Shadow. Later, Media appeared once more as a bona fide Hollywood bombshell: Marilyn Monroe, who floated into the major meeting of the new gods and once again sent Shadow reeling. For Anderson, both characters were a blast.

“I didn’t know all that much about Marilyn as much as we all know what’s in the greater consciousness: the key pieces of her death and her struggle and her marriage and all that,” Anderson tells EW. “And actually, I was surprised at how easy I found it to immerse myself in that and how much fun it was. She was definitely the one I had the most fun doing, just because there’s an imminent joy to her. There is also with Judy [Garland], but there’s something so delightful and delicious about Marilyn that was a lot of fun to jump into. And there’s a mechanism that we used to get her floating — I was on this robotic contraption that had been built with fans in it so that my skirt was constantly moving, even though they were going to recreate and enhance some of that in CGI. So for the majority of that scene, it was me being driven around via remote control with fans blasting vertically up my dress.” Anderson laughs: “So, that was fun.”

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Last night was a really cool episode. And I must say, Gillian Anderson is cranking out the characters in this show (Lucille Ball, David Bowie, Marilyn Monroe).

American Gods: Gillian Anderson on becoming Marilyn Monroe and David Bowie

+1 another really strong episode. Gillian Anderson is killing it.

good show, too bad only 8 episodes.  shadowmoon is kindah boring, but everyone else ain't.  i've always liked the actor who plays odin since deadwood or whenever he started showing up on u.s. television, although he really doesn't look the part. 

1 minute ago, the blob said:

good show, too bad only 8 episodes.  shadowmoon is kindah boring, but everyone else ain't.  i've always liked the actor who plays odin since deadwood or whenever he started showing up on u.s. television, although he really doesn't look the part. 

That's exactly when Ian McShane shows up for me as a memorable actor - Deadwood. Though I realized later he had a longer resume. I just never noticed him before then.

I feel like Shadowmoon is purposely holding back. Though that may be me wanting to see something explosive later on when he opens up.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That's exactly when Ian McShane shows up for me as a memorable actor - Deadwood. Though I realized later he had a longer resume. I just never noticed him before then.

I feel like Shadowmoon is purposely holding back. Though that may be me wanting to see something explosive later on when he opens up.

have not read the book, but i assume he was chosen because there is something special about him and that this isn't all odin's doing

Shadow is pretty much the same in the show and the book in that he is pretty calm and nothing shakes him.  I can't think of a single point in the book he is really exciting but more the straight man for all the chaos around him.