• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmmm, who does this LP cover art remind you of?

25 posts in this topic

Actually found out it's an album from 1969, re-released in 2014... so I guess neither Marvel nor Disney cares, lol.

I doubt the cover art is from 1969

It was.

It was created in Germany by Wandry’s Studio. These are the guys that did all the Passport (and even a few Scorpion) album covers. They're actually pretty famous.

klaus-doldingerpassport-second-passport-20130729012428.jpg

Can is a terrific German rock/experimental/dub/jam type band -- definitely one of the leading "Krautrock" bands of all time. Well worth checking out. "Tago Mago" and "Ege Bamyasi" are two standout albums, but "Soundtracks" is my favorite. Their other albums also kick *spoon*.

If you like Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Animal Collective, Talking Heads, or anything else in that realm of music, you owe it to yourself to listen to Can.

Here's the Wiki link . Last year's Paul Thomas Anderson movie, "Inherent Vice," used a couple of their songs, including for the opening credits.

Actually found out it's an album from 1969, re-released in 2014... so I guess neither Marvel nor Disney cares, lol.

It was.

It was created in Germany by Wandry’s Studio. These are the guys that did all the Passport (and even a few Scorpion) album covers. They're actually pretty famous.

covklaus-doldingerpassport-second-passport-20130729012428.jpg

Yeah that's old school airbrush all the way. When I first clicked on this thread this whole thing didn't make sense to me because it was purported to be a new album with what was 100% clearly a vintage illustration. I would have guessed 70s but you couldn't get more of a typical early airbrush piece than that.

It was.

Never heard of wandry's studio? Link? Google coming up dry. Surprised there was a German airbrush scene in 1969? That monster movie album looks more like US art to me when you combine the date and the style, but I'll bow to your knowledge of it

It was.

Never heard of wandry's studio? Link? Google coming up dry. Surprised there was a German airbrush scene in 1969? That monster movie album looks more like US art to me when you combine the date and the style, but I'll bow to your knowledge of it

Sorry, I'm relying on memory and misspelled it. It's actually Wandrey's Studio from Hamburg, Germany.

Here's the back of a couple of album covers where they appear in the credits:

Scorps

aSntpwc.jpg

Passport

PxOyN1x.jpg

Here's a wiki on Petrus Wandrey.

I guess if you aren't into Prog-Jazz or Fusion, this is pretty esoteric stuff; but they're famous for all the work they did with Doldinger and Passport - much like Roger Dean and Yes, or Hipgnosis and Pink Floyd.

Somewhere I have a coffee table book of album cover art that has a section on Wandrey's, but it would take me a month of Sundays to find it. :)

I guess if you aren't into Prog-Jazz or Fusion, this is pretty esoteric stuff; but they're famous for all the work they did with Doldinger and Passport - much like Roger Dean and Yes, or Hipgnosis and Pink Floyd.

Somewhere I have a coffee table book of album cover art that has a section on Wandrey's, but it would take me a month of Sundays to find it. :)

Cool info. I have several of those album-cover art books (they're about the size of LP's, right?). Great series of books!

I didn't know about Wandrey. The art style reminds me of the Pushpin studio work of the earlier era (post- Beatles Yellow Submarine, etc.).

Passport is such a cool band. Traffic, Passport, Gong, Tangerine Dream....I love that era of music. Jazz meets psychedelia meets rock meets ambient meets.....anything goes...

Hipgnosis is another big favorite. They creeped out many a music listener. Two of their best include Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy." Genius design. Also, the album cover with the very young redheaded woman holding that silver jet....I think that was them. Fairport Convention? And the album cover of a woman jumping overhead, with her silhouette becoming nighttime Milky Way stars, is very memorable. I think that was for the band Free.

I could spend hours and hours looking at album-cover art, especially from the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s. In fact, I already have.

Cool info. I have several of those album-cover art books (they're about the size of LP's, right?). Great series of books!

I didn't know about Wandrey. The art style reminds me of the Pushpin studio work of the earlier era (post- Beatles Yellow Submarine, etc.).

Passport is such a cool band. Traffic, Passport, Gong, Tangerine Dream....I love that era of music. Jazz meets psychedelia meets rock meets ambient meets.....anything goes...

Hipgnosis is another big favorite. They creeped out many a music listener. Two of their best include Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy." Genius design. Also, the album cover with the very young redheaded woman holding that silver jet....I think that was them. Fairport Convention? And the album cover of a woman jumping overhead, with her silhouette becoming nighttime Milky Way stars, is very memorable. I think that was for the band Free.

I could spend hours and hours looking at album-cover art, especially from the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s. In fact, I already have.

Yes, this one is really big - about one LP in width and 1.5 in length.

The cover you're thinking about is from Blind Faith and was actually created by a photographer friend of Clapton's. I forget his name.

The Free album you mention is their second, self-titled from 1969. I couldn't remember who did the art, so I looked it up. It's Ron Rafaelli of The Visual Thing Inc.

Those old albums are fascinating. Some of the bands put as much into the cover design and content as they did into the music. For example, Peter Gabriel wrote an entire short story about the double album's central character Rael within "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and included it on the inside to help explain the music.

For example, Peter Gabriel wrote an entire short story about the double album's central character Rael within "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and included it on the inside to help explain the music.

...and that started the entire timeline that led to him leaving the band.

For example, Peter Gabriel wrote an entire short story about the double album's central character Rael within "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and included it on the inside to help explain the music.

...and that started the entire timeline that led to him leaving the band.

Among a cornucopia of other issues. :)

It's funny. They just released a wonderful Genesis documentary titled "Genesis: Together and Apart." And now Steve Hackett is pissed because he feels it didn't showcase his solo career in the same way as the other members. So now he's refusing to advertise the doc on his website.