• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House got robbed :(

91 posts in this topic

Casey, best of luck in getting your books and other items returned. :wishluck:

Coming home to find you're the victim of a burglary simply sucks. :mad:

Glad you and your family are safe. (thumbs u

Hope you get all your stuff back. Crazy but sometimes you cant have nice things. I still remember "Friends" stealing some of my comics right when I was in the house. They came over to visit, they knew I was a collector (this was 30 years ago) . Went into my basement room which had my comics. Asked me for somethign to drink. Went upstairs and came back with some soda. They left pretty quickly . 3-4 days later I was looking though my stuff and noticed my comics missing. Took 4-5 issues but the main ones were my 2 favorites What If # 1 and SUperman VS Spiderman which had the signature. I surmised they stuffed them in there pants leg OR jacket. (No one cared about condition as much back then , it was mint or fine ). They denied anything but never talked to them again. Over the years I never again told anyone what I had and I left my comics at my parents house for 20 years. They were retired, had an alarmed fortress etc. Figure if I mentioned I had a Xmen # 1 someone might come and steal it. Over the years I did not even tell my Son , Friends or Wife complstley what I had for fear they might tell someone. Sold most of my books 2 years ago so no worries anymore. But just stinks you cant have nice things.

Again I hope you get every book back, I still have the comics my parents got me when I was a kid and me and my brother would read all night and treasure them as much as a NM ASM # 1.

First off this SUCKS! and I hate it hear it...

but when you talk to the LCS and pawn shops in the area ask them if they see anyone trying to sell books of your description to TAKE A QUICK CELL PHOTO of the perp! Ask nicely and see if the store owner can tell the thief that it's procedure because you want the thief comfortable to get your books back the best shape.

Casey so sorry to hear this. Scumbags. Sounds like somebody knew what they could take that was easiest to re-sell (unslabbed X-Men books) rather than slabs with serial numbers on them. Apparently though they were not smart enough to know you can bust comics out of slabs.

In any case, I hope they catch them and justice is served. Violently. :censored:

Please post a list that can be circulated to area shops. Glad to hear nearby boardies are also spreading the word.

We're still waiting for the forensic tech to come...we've only been waiting 14 hours :( Which means we can't clean up, can't touch anything...can't even lay down in the bedroom. It's tough not being able to "move on" with our lives and see a constant reminder of being violated.

As far as the comics, I can't make a complete list of what's missing as I was told not to touch anything until the forensic people get here. So from what I can just see without being able to dig through stuff, here's the list so far.

X-Men:

94-160, Annuals 3-14

Special Marvel Edition:

Master of Kung Fu:

17-29

Captain America:

153-156, 158, 162, 170, 258, 261-269, 274-280, 282-286.

They also took some random Byrne books like the first couple Generations series and part of the third, but as I said I won't have the complete list until the cops do their thing. The main stuff they took and the most valuable were obviously the HG X-Men.

Any of the book have anything distinguishing like date stamps etc., which could be passed onto stores and dealers. Thought that might help :foryou:

That's terrible, I hope they catch the culprits. My house has never been broken into (knock on wood) but my car was hit twice. Never got anything of value from me (i don't leave nice stuff in my car) but the violation was what got to me. Thieves are the lowest of the low. Hopefully some good karma heading your way, and comeuppance heading theirs. Good luck.

Hope you get your stuff back. :wishluck:

It may be a good reason for anyone not to post your travel/con pics on Facebook until AFTER you get back from your trip.

It may be a good reason for anyone not to post your travel/con pics on Facebook until AFTER you get back from your trip.

Yeah, I'm pretty much through checking in on facebook every time we go away. Better to post after the fact as you said.

The forensic techs just got through. They were able to get a couple of prints, but who knows? I think our best bet ( and I think it's a long shot ) is if someone tries to sell this stuff locally to a dealer / collector. The word has been spread pretty wide locally ( thank you my Chicago and Indiana brothers! ).

I didn't have specific comic book insurance, just home owners. As long as they pay for a new door I'll be satisfied on that end. Anything we get from them as far as the comics and toys go will be gravy.

I've been able to go through the comics a bit more now that the police are finished taking prints and such and aside from what I listed, it looks like they passed over quite a few valuable books and took a small amount of junk. Unfortunately two of the junky books were a couple of signed editions of Generations #2 that Byrne signed. Back in the old AOL days he used to frequent the Marvel Comics chat and he saw me mention that my LCS had not ordered those. He privately messaged me and asked for my address and two weeks later in the mail were copies of the books he had signed to me.

The forensic techs just got through. They were able to get a couple of prints, but who knows? I think our best bet ( and I think it's a long shot ) is if someone tries to sell this stuff locally to a dealer / collector. The word has been spread pretty wide locally ( thank you my Chicago and Indiana brothers! ).

I didn't have specific comic book insurance, just home owners. As long as they pay for a new door I'll be satisfied on that end. Anything we get from them as far as the comics and toys go will be gravy.

I've been able to go through the comics a bit more now that the police are finished taking prints and such and aside from what I listed, it looks like they passed over quite a few valuable books and took a small amount of junk. Unfortunately two of the junky books were a couple of signed editions of Generations #2 that Byrne signed. Back in the old AOL days he used to frequent the Marvel Comics chat and he saw me mention that my LCS had not ordered those. He privately messaged me and asked for my address and two weeks later in the mail were copies of the books he had signed to me.

:foryou:

:wishluck:

regards

The suggestion to avoid any over-sharing via social media is a good one that more people need to heed. There was a guy that I went to highschool with many moons ago that, via facebook posts, found out that one of his friends was going to be away for a few weeks for a trip. Broke in & robbed the place. Got picked up for it a week or 3 later. But still... the main reason the guy even left himself open to it was through facebook over-sharing.

Another reason to just delete facebook entirely. (it makes life better too)

Yeah, I'm pretty much through checking in on facebook every time we go away. Better to post after the fact as you said.

Stop tagging us in your posts and opening us all up (tsk)

You don't even have to actually post you are on a trip... If you post photos, they frequently have the Latitude Longitude embedded in it showing where you are...

Good luck though. Sounds like an inside job really.

Stop tagging us in your posts and opening us all up (tsk)

Nobody wants your Strawberry Shortcake comics, dork :makepoint: