• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wood's Rebels... Historical Fiction!

14 posts in this topic

Is anyone else reading Brian Wood's Rebels?

I just finished the second issue, and I really enjoyed it. Following DMZ, I'll pick up just about anything Brian Wood writes. I really like the feel and story of Rebels though. It almost had Patriot (the film) feel to it with the fighting in the woods, but it has a neat feel.

In history, they never talk about how reluctant a good number of soldiers were, but the book does a nice job showing his wife's skepticism. I like the human element of the book.

The art is a little rough around the edges, but it fits the tone of the book well.

I enjoyed it.

I've been reading it and like it so far.

I'll have to put Northlanders and DMZ on my reading list, missed both series during my comic hiatus.

Northlanders is exceptional, there wasn't bad story in the whole run

Love Woods but I'm not digging this title.

How come?

I'm curious to see what happens. The first issue felt like a lot of set up. The second issue sort of ended on an interesting note and I'm curious to see how it goes.

Is the book an ongoing or mini?

Maybe I'm just enjoying it because I like a bit of historical fiction.

I just read 3 and 4. I've gone a bit colder on the book. It is interesting, but I don't love the way the story jumps around. It is almost like reading a picture book and less like reading a comic if that makes sense. I want to like the characters, but I don't feel like we've gotten enough time to know them.

I'll probably stick with it for a bit longer. I don't know if it is only 6 issues or not...

I'm liking it so far. I loved DMZ, I think this is only my second book written by him I have tried. It didn't instantly hook me like DMZ did, but the premise was interesting enough for me to check out, and I enjoyed it enough to continue with the series. Sometimes I grow to really love a series, like Scalped, which I wasn't instantly hooked on but was at the edge of my seat by the end. Others I kind of lose interest in, not because they're bad, but because I never got hooked, like Revival.