• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicXposure - Scam?
1 1

110 posts in this topic

Came here to chime in. 

I pre-ordered the ASM #25 Stanley Lau/Artgerm variant, which I had found out about from Lau himself via his Facebook page announcing the exclusive variant. Being referred from the artist himself, I didn't think anything of it despite the site itself looking kinda sketchy from a design standpoint. I also ordered the Venom Vol. 3 #4 Del Otto variant (can't remember if it was a pre-order at the time or not, probably was though). This was back in early Feb. I know the ASM variant wasn't scheduled for release until March so I knew it was going to be a wait. However, its now middle of April and I haven't gotten any shipment or any e-mail regarding shipment. I was curious to its status so I've e-mailed and called a couple times now just to get an update and nothing. I've called both the number provided in the original e-mail and both the number provided on their site's contact page. Both are Google numbers, the one from the site didn't even ring and both had me going to a voicemail. I've also messaged them through their Facebook page and have yet to receive any kind of response. 

I'm not sure what to do now, I'm going to call a few more times but I'm giving them till the end of the week otherwise I might have to dispute the charge with my bank. I'll update if anything happens.

At worst, I'm only out about $50, but this is poor business practice and customer service on their end. Like a few others here, I wouldn't even bother with them if the book I wanted wasn't an exclusive only available through them. 

Avoid this place at all costs!

Placed two orders with them:

1st order took over 2 months to get to me.  It was partially filled with all the comics that I wanted, and which were hard to find, missing (I'll pick up new releases or easy to find back issues if I'm already paying for shipping).  One of the comics wasn't even the one that I ordered and it was  beat as could be.  Never tried to contact me to tell me that the items were out of stock, never issued a refund for the comics they didn't ship.  I emailed them, they said they would refund me for only the comics that didn't ship, never issued the refund.  So they won't refund for books they never shipped, gave me a beat up comic I didn't order, took two months to ship and then made the cost of the comics shipped way too high with shipping (imagine ordering 10 comics, 2 of which were $1.99 comics, paying close to $10 for shipping, and then only receiving the 2 $1.99 comics and a FN modern comic you didn't order).

2nd order: I placed an order and immediately after paying realized that I left a comic I wanted out of the cart.  I called them and asked if I could just buy the additional comic and have them include it with the first order to save on shipping.  They said they cancelled the order and had me just replace the order, which I did.  So there were 2 charges on my CC, 1 for the first order which was cancelled and 1 for the second correct order.  Initially there was a charge back pending on my CC so I thought everything was fine.  The charge back didn't post but both CC charges did.  I emailed them and explained that the charge back never posted, no help at all.  Had to deal with my CC company to get the first charge taken off of my card.

Buyer beware.  Not sure how they could stay in business but really an avoid at all costs seller.

of course everyone has different reactions, but I would suggest not only contacting the company to resolve issues, but also to contact the associated creators (or their agents and/or representatives), and let them know how the company is acting on their behalf.  Additionally, it probably wouldn't hurt to contact Marvel or DC (or whatever company) to give them some feedback as well.  Not that they can necessarily resolve this specific issue for you, but maybe you can help enact change to prevent it from happening again in the future.  Additionally, you can find out what city the company is based in and file complaints with the local better business bureau, and/or file a complaint with their County District Attorney.  I know it seems like none of these entities can necessarily directly solve your issue, but if enough people file complaints....something might happen.

Additionally, you may be able to attempt to file specific complaints with credit card companies, if ENOUGH people do chargebacks and/or file complaints, they might look into it or stop taking payments.

Good luck.  If you give them a chance to make it right, and they don't, give'em hell.

Ok, what's up with this fraudulent company? Comicxposure took my money for an order and never shipped it, never responded, so I had to contact my bank and reverse the charges. Yes, the order only totaled $9.99. but I would gladly pay $50 in bank charges just to reverse it. It's this kind of online fraud that needs to be" xposed"! Get it together dudes! Your really off a lotta people.

Unfortunately, I did not do a search for a ComicXposure thread on the board prior to my rather recent exposure to this so-called store. Thus, I will note that having dealt with ComicXposure once, is once too often. Further, I would, repeat, would say that it lacks customer service but that would be too kind; it would not know customer service if it was cohabitating with customer service.

1 hour ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Unfortunately, I did not do a search for a ComicXposure thread on the board prior to my rather recent exposure to this so-called store. Thus, I will note that having dealt with ComicXposure once, is once too often. Further, I would, repeat, would say that it lacks customer service but that would be too kind; it would not know customer service if it was cohabitating with customer service.

Any details?

:popcorn:

On 2/11/2018 at 2:05 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Yeah, I've just had my first experience with them and their customer service is TERRIBLE.  I placed an order for about $220.00 and was supposed to receive a 20% (?) discount for being a new customer.  Discount didn't work, so I gently emailed them, asking for a fix.  No response.  I emailed again, no response.  I used the online contact form, no response.  And then again.  And then I tried calling their 800 number and even left a message, as no one ever picked up.  But they never called back. 

I finally reached someone on Facebook, and they wanted to give me a "coupon code" for my next order.  I told them that wouldn't work, that I would like a refund for the amount.  They stopped responding.  So now I am working with my credit card company to reverse the charges and cancel the order.  (FYI, the order was made five weeks ago, and includes comics that haven't released yet.  So the fact that I haven't received anything yet is not the issue, only the missing discount.)

I am afraid we are going to see this more and more as speculators begin to start these online exclusive covers sales. 

I have specific sellers I only buy from for this reason. And when I try a new site I order cheap to see how they pack and ship their books.

This isn't the end of this I fear only the beginning as I know of at least 4 that have started in the last year.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, Squad008 said:

Avoid this place at all costs!

Placed two orders with them:

1st order took over 2 months to get to me.  It was partially filled with all the comics that I wanted, and which were hard to find, missing (I'll pick up new releases or easy to find back issues if I'm already paying for shipping).  One of the comics wasn't even the one that I ordered and it was  beat as could be.  Never tried to contact me to tell me that the items were out of stock, never issued a refund for the comics they didn't ship.  I emailed them, they said they would refund me for only the comics that didn't ship, never issued the refund.  So they won't refund for books they never shipped, gave me a beat up comic I didn't order, took two months to ship and then made the cost of the comics shipped way too high with shipping (imagine ordering 10 comics, 2 of which were $1.99 comics, paying close to $10 for shipping, and then only receiving the 2 $1.99 comics and a FN modern comic you didn't order).

2nd order: I placed an order and immediately after paying realized that I left a comic I wanted out of the cart.  I called them and asked if I could just buy the additional comic and have them include it with the first order to save on shipping.  They said they cancelled the order and had me just replace the order, which I did.  So there were 2 charges on my CC, 1 for the first order which was cancelled and 1 for the second correct order.  Initially there was a charge back pending on my CC so I thought everything was fine.  The charge back didn't post but both CC charges did.  I emailed them and explained that the charge back never posted, no help at all.  Had to deal with my CC company to get the first charge taken off of my card.

Buyer beware.  Not sure how they could stay in business but really an avoid at all costs seller.

Sorry to hear that more people have had issues with this company.  I had to resolve my issue through my credit card company.  My CC company tried to contact them about my complaint and when they didn't respond told me that they would give me back 100% of my charge.  Me, hoping a good deed would be paid forward, only requested a charge back for the comics I never received (plus I prorated the shipping charge based on total order and the costs of the books I received.  Not going to pay $10 shipping on $4.99 of new release comics.)  Guess they don't like to pay good deeds forward.  Bad bad people. 

I just called my credit card company to cancel an order they owe me and a future order.  Cannot do business with people like this.  I have tried to reach them multiple times on the phone and via email - no response.  I have an order pending but since I am being treated like this, for this order, I don't have the time or the patience to deal with these people.  I am surprised that these people are still in business and no one has called the attorney general.

27 minutes ago, vernpt0827 said:

I just called my credit card company to cancel an order they owe me and a future order.  Cannot do business with people like this.  I have tried to reach them multiple times on the phone and via email - no response.  I have an order pending but since I am being treated like this, for this order, I don't have the time or the patience to deal with these people.  I am surprised that these people are still in business and no one has called the attorney general.

Unfortunately, I've experienced more issues with online retailers over the past year than I ever did in the past.  Pay with a CC and process through PayPal and you have double protection as a buyer.  As long as you have a good track record with PayPal and with your CC then you shouldn't have an issue.

Sad to say I am joining in on the STAY AWAY FROM COMICXPOSURE.  I have placed 4 orders and only 2 of them have come... The other two which was placed over 2 months ago, are "unfulfilled" claimed by their site. After over 8 emails just asking for an update on my order and no answers... This is my first time EVER being shafted from an online site. I thought they were legit as marvel has "comicxposure" exclusives but I assume they do have no idea how terrible they are at customer relations.... But ya, if I ever get my orders, I will not be a repeat customer. 

I should have read this earlier. In a short period of time I made three orders at ComicXposure. Because two of the books would be released quite a while later, I asked for the orders to be reshuffled, so that two of them could be sent out. At first they promised to do this after the weekend, but they never followed-up on their promises and e-mails were ignored. Then I got a partial refund for two common books in one of the orders. I asked them why, but got no reply to my e-mail. Then one of the other orders came in. Two out of three books were not the ones that I ordered. I mailed and tried to telephone their customer support, but I got no reply and they were 'unable' to answer the phone. I paid through CC and I guess my money is gone. These were pretty expensive books so I am not happy. The other orders are still on their way. I am a bit worried what will be wrong with them. After this experience ComicXposure has lost me as a customer.

It amazes me on so many levels that this "business" is still operating.  These things have been happening over a period of years now, not just an isolated incident here-and-there.  Yet they are still churning out the books and exclusives.  

9 minutes ago, IndyKMB said:

It amazes me on so many levels that this "business" is still operating.  These things have been happening over a period of years now, not just an isolated incident here-and-there.  Yet they are still churning out the books and exclusives.  

Because in addition to all of the peon individual customers that continually gravitate towards their "cool" exclusives, they have solid relationships with other online retailers where most of their orders get fulfilled.  Places like Unknown Comics, amorphous ink, comic mint, mutant beaver,possibly midtown and some others.  Those guys order large quantities of ComicXposure's variants on a regular basis and resell them pretty much at the same price or with a slight markup.  I believe ComicXposure would prefer to operate as a silent partner distributor and let those other stores handle the day to day order fulfillment and processing from end customers.  Those other online store fronts tend to have waaaay better customer service and by customer service I mean they actually have someone that responds to emails and phone calls and resolves issues in a timely and satisfactory manner.

I inquired about them with the folks from Unknown Comics who seem to be their primary reseller.  They kinda just shrugged and said that Ed can be hard to get hold of but he's always been pretty good at getting back to you.  That may be their unique experience and relationship due to them being ComicXposure's primary buyer and outlet but I told them it didn't sound reflective of all the individual buyers out there who complain about no one ever responding or their orders arriving with mistakes and having to do repeat charge-backs.  My recommendations is to avoid buying directly from ComicXposure and just use Unknown Comics or one of the other resellers.  You'll at least get a response.  I highly recommend Unknown Comics out of Texas, 7ate9 out of the UK even for US customers and Patrick from Mutant Beaver in Canada has always been great to deal with.  The comics may not be priced as low as directly from ComicXposure but at least you will receive your order or a solution in a timely manner.

11 minutes ago, justafan said:

I highly recommend Unknown Comics out of Texas, 7ate9 out of the UK even for US customers and Patrick from Mutant Beaver in Canada has always been great to deal with.  The comics may not be priced as low as directly from ComicXposure but at least you will receive your order or a solution in a timely manner.

This is the ONLY way I would order another of their books again.

I do like Unknown, but their shipping costs seems a bit extreme. IIRC.

29 minutes ago, IndyKMB said:

This is the ONLY way I would order another of their books again.

I do like Unknown, but their shipping costs seems a bit extreme. IIRC.

They do charge for shipping but it's free for orders over some amount like $50 or so.  They do discount the variants more than midtown or DCBS so I tend to order most of the normal covers and variants from them and then by the time I add on the ComicXposure or their store variants I will usually have a $100 order.  The 1 thing I learned from the last round of pre-orders is that if you bundle in-stock orders with pre-orders, they will hold all items until ALL of the pre-orders arrive (including specific release date pre-orders) and ship them together.  If you want your in-stock items to arrive right away, order them separately.  If you want your pre-orders to arrive as they come in, separate the usual pre-orders from the pre-orders with farther out release dates.  And for those variant bundles that span multiple subsequent issues, don't count on those arriving until the last issue arrives which means you could be waiting up to 3 months to receive issues  like ASM 797, 798, 799, 800, and 801 all together.

I have to say my recent experience with Unknown is also pretty negative. I bought thousands of dollars comics at them. They send it to a fellow boardie, who collects my books and then ships them to the Netherlands. I never made a complaint, nothing. Then they ship a $30 book which is really damaged. The package, board etcetera all look perfect. So my friend only sends a picture of the book, which I then forward to Unknown. They say policy requires them to ask for pictures of everything. I send a picture of the board, but not of the packaging material as it has already been thrown away. But I again say it looks perfect. The end of the story: no replacement because of policies are not followed. And then they become angry when I state that I will not order from them anymore