• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disabled Veteran Seeking Free Comics, Comic Books (Chicago)

33 posts in this topic

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bks/5062486251.html

Hey there,

I'm disabled veteran, ptsd seeking free or cheap comics. Comic books were the only thing I loved as a kid. I had an incredible collection when I left in 1988. When I came back from the Navy, my younger brother ruined my collection, all gone. It was the biggest disappointment of my life. My comics, no longer in plastic bags and in boxes were all over his floor, his friends "borrowed" many. I don't have one comic left from the thousands I had.

I get such a kick looking at the covers, the artwork, reading the old stories. When I'm done with the comics, all comics will be donated to the Veterans Administration hospital for other veterans.

Thanks and God bless

Thoughts?

My gut instinct says that it's a scammer looking for free books to try and profit off of. He states that he "left" in 1988 and returned home to his little brother which indicates a short term ( four years ). This does place him in the timeline of the first Gulf War but as a Navy vet in his first year contract combat level jobs on the ground were not plentiful. He goes to great lengths in his opening sentence to hit all the buzz words popular in today's culture; but is as vague as possible on particulars then adds the folksy dialect in his desire for your books.

This by all means could be on the up and up but the PTSD disabled vet card is played so much in every situation where someone can claim to be a victim it is just hard to believe.

As a veteran, I tend to let this stuff go.

I also get people who come into my store and ask for a military discount and I give it to them without asking for proof.

My reasoning is, if you are lying about having served….there is a special place in Hell for your *spoon*. There is nothing I could do to match it. You will be *spooned* for all eternity!

:devil:

My comics, no longer in plastic bags and in boxes were all over his floor, his friends "borrowed" many. I don't have one comic left from the thousands I had.

Did the ones on the floor just disappear. That doesn't even make any sense.

My gut instinct says that it's a scammer looking for free books to try and profit off of. He states that he "left" in 1988 and returned home to his little brother which indicates a short term ( four years ). This does place him in the timeline of the first Gulf War but as a Navy vet in his first year contract combat level jobs on the ground were not plentiful. He goes to great lengths in his opening sentence to hit all the buzz words popular in today's culture; but is as vague as possible on particulars then adds the folksy dialect in his desire for your books.

This by all means could be on the up and up but the PTSD disabled vet card is played so much in every situation where someone can claim to be a victim it is just hard to believe.

Speaking as a veteran of both Desert Shield and Storm, I can tell you he did NOT participate in the first Gulf War if he got out in 1988.

Speaking as a veteran of both Desert Shield and Storm, I can tell you he did NOT participate in the first Gulf War if he got out in 1988.

Agreed.

Mike

USMC 1987-1992

civilian 1992-1997 :facepalm:

USMC 1997-2012

USMC® 2012-present :whee:

Hello hi I am a disabled vet of the second world war-I remember fondly reading a copy of Action #1 as bombs exploded around my foxhole in Normandy. Alas the book was ruined by a grenade and ever since I have wanted to get that book again-if anyone has a copy and can send it to a vet who almost gave his life for our country that would be swell. I promise to merely read it then donate it to the Veteran's memorial.

It says he left in 1988. I would wager to guess he means he left for the Navy in 1988, not that he returned home in 1988.

I left for the Navy in 1987 and the ship I was on got to protect Waikiki during Desert Storm. Oh the horrors I saw there, like those sneaky hula girls in their grass skirts.. They can never be truly forgotten.

Plus he has a picture of X-Men 141, a fairly valuable comic. If this were legit and he just wanted to read some books, he'd probably ask for trades.

It says he left in 1988. I would wager to guess he means he left for the Navy in 1988, not that he returned home in 1988.

Yeah, I don't know how you could interpret "I had an incredible collection when I left in 1988. When I came back..." any other way.

I left for the Navy in 1987 and the ship I was on got to protect Waikiki during Desert Storm. Oh the horrors I saw there, like those sneaky hula girls in their grass skirts.. They can never be truly forgotten.

:( You sound like you might have PTSD.

:idea: I'll send you some free comics!

Yeah, I don't know how you could interpret "I had an incredible collection when I left in 1988. When I came back..." any other way.

:( You sound like you might have PTSD.

:idea: I'll send you some free comics!

Cool. I won't ask for anything outrageous. I only like to read GA Batman's though.

My comics, no longer in plastic bags and in boxes were all over his floor, his friends "borrowed" many. I don't have one comic left from the thousands I had.

Did the ones on the floor just disappear. That doesn't even make any sense.

This is how he asks for NM+ books. Anything less is "ruined".