• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian custom value
1 1

29 posts in this topic

You should have zero issues. CGC puts the original shipping form you had attached to clear customs when you sent your books down and that *should* be proof enough.

I just picked up 14 CGC issues today from FedEx and the printed invoice from CGC also states "Canadian goods returned".

In my case, someone at FedEx didn't read clearly and they tried to charge me some taxes on them. I immediately said "uh, these are from Canada being returned as you can see right here" pointing to CGC's shipping sticker. They immediately corrected the problem and had the fees removed.

I'm not sure how this would play out had it happened at my door and not at the FedEx office. Chances are they would have held the package and I would have had to go to the office to get the charge removed.

But you shouldn't have an issue.

Update: I've had the very issue I mention above when they delivered to my door.

Basically, I explained the issue to the Fedex driver using the included paperwork as proof. The drivers are unable to wave those fees at the door so I gave her my cc info and she said she would bring it to the attention of whomever at the office and someone would call me to let me know either way.

Sure enough, an hour later, someone called to say they would not be charging my credit card.

Just be polite and they will totally help you - at least that's been my experience.

Fed ex just called me.

My CGC submission is hung up at customs because they declared a value of $20 (and the border agent clearly didn't believe it).

So they called me and are requesting some invoice or paper or something with the original order... I had to explain how CGC works. I got my books pressed and the order went through the preser.

Anyways, I'm trying to clear it up

New to the site and collecting. Just want to send some books to be graded.

I, too, don't have a Customs office nearby.

Canada Post say I may have to take them to a Customs office.

There is or should be a UPS and/or FedEx store in a nearby city.

I've boxed up the books but haven't sealed it yet. Are these forms available online if needed? I don't want to get dinged for duties on books already paid for.

OK, so I spent some time reviewing this process with my good friends at the Canada Customs office.

The form you will need is an E15.

Here is a link to it on the CBSA Website: PDF of Form E15

I was told that a lot of the fields do not apply to me, for the purpose of shipping items for evaluation. So just fill out what you can.

Then a customs officer has to Stamp it and fill in some additional details on the form.

When your product is coming back, it is best to note on the outside of the box, or customs paperwork "Canadian Goods Returned, E15 Attached" and then have a copy of the E15 in a pouch on the outside of the box.

If they see that, he said they pretty much wave it right through.

If you have the E15 inside the box, then they have to open the box and look for it.

I've taken a look at the E15 form and I think I get it. Do I just write down the number of comics or each individual title?

OK, so I spent some time reviewing this process with my good friends at the Canada Customs office.

I was told that a lot of the fields do not apply to me, for the purpose of shipping items for evaluation. So just fill out what you can.

Then a customs officer has to Stamp it and fill in some additional details on the form.

When your product is coming back, it is best to note on the outside of the box, or customs paperwork "Canadian Goods Returned, E15 Attached" and then have a copy of the E15 in a pouch on the outside of the box.

If you have the E15 inside the box, then they have to open the box and look for it.

I, too, don't have a Customs Office nearby.

Canada Post say I have to take it to Customs. I know there is or should be a UPS and/or FedEx store in another city. Could I take it there? It would be less hassle to do it through Canada Post (I don't drive).

I've taken a look at the E15 form, would that work if I attach it to the box and send through Canada Post?

Could you possibly send me an example of how to fill it out? Do I have to write down each title for the comics? Can I send the comics with the E-15 through Canada Post?

Speaking from experience, even if you are charged duties or even a fraction of the duties, I've successfully contested these after the fact with FedEx and I've been reimbursed in full every time (total of 11 times). Just need to contact FedEx (RE: duties charges for returning goods) and they will ask for information and for you to fill out a form, and then they will dispute with customs, and you will be reimbursed.

Hello,

I see this thread is for canadian customs but since my question is related i thought about posting it here.

I live in Athens - Greece and am a major fan - friend of american comics. I have over 5k comics half of them 

being from the silver, bronze age. For many years i wanted to submit to cgc but i was always afraid of the customs here in Greece..

They can be dreadful..So i wanted to ask if cgc knows anything about Greek customs here (which form should i use) and 

furthermore if they have any plans about setting up an office in Europe (it could be easyer taking my comics there in person).

We live in a globalized world and american comics is a global phenomenon anyway..:bigsmile:

Thank you for your answer.

Noobie  question.  45mins from the border. Can I ship from Can to US, but when the books are done graded, can I have it shipped to a US parcel business for me to pick up? At less chance of my comics missing or left at my door. Thanks