• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

Alex Schomburg: Fighting Yank 7. I used to have modest runs of Nedors and a few Timelys. But when my focus changed to try and complete other publishers i let them go. The Nedors i figured, i could always rebuild, prices should stay modest(boy was i wrong :( )and the Timelys were slightly brittle pages copies(what i could swing)so i figured, try and up grade down the road(also, not so easy :D ). This book, i kept. The cover says it all about American sentiment about the war via propaganda.

FightingYank7_zpsf5826b29.jpg

Edited by Sagii

Joe Simon: Mystery Men #12. One of my few Fox books, and a peculiar cover for the times. Obviously a domestic violence cover(the raggy tenement setting). But the Blue Beetle is there in the nick of time!

Mystery%20Men%20Comics%2012_zpsfwknz9xj.jpg

All great books in a different way. Two of my top 5 favorite GA artists are represented here (Baker and Schomburg) So, obviously, I've got a LOT of Nedors and St. Johns.

Not so many Fox and very little Quality. So, it's nice to see them! Thanks!

This looks like a thread that's going places! Great books so far, Sagii! Looking forward to more. :applause:

Thank you sir! I will try and keep a "schedule" of adding something at least twice a month(when inspiration and interest strike). (thumbs u

REEL FOUR v1 :Wabbit and Co.

So with today being the 75th Anniversary of the release of the 1940 cartoon short 'A Wild Hare' the first 'official' version of Bugs Bunny, i posted these in fellow Bugs fan 'Bang Zoom' thread over in the gold forum, thought i'd post them here. Happy Birthday Bugs!!

This is Bugs Bunny #6 (Austarlian ed.). These were published in the 1950's. The early covers feature mildly 'crude' renderings of Bugs. This one is probably my favorite, with Porky Pig bondage cover as Bugs prepares to use a razor on him to practice for a Barbers gig.

Bugs%20Bunny%206%20Australian%20ed._zpsqgghak9n.jpg

The later issues had a more refined well drawn Bugs (and Elmer).

Bugs%20Bunny%2023%20Australian%20ed._zpszzfznerh.jpg

Here's a 1950's Bugs Bunny coloring book

IMG_1148_zpskvbdtovx.jpg

And not Bugs, here's his best friend, in Four Color 457. This is the first solo Daffy Duck comic book. Highest graded copy to date.

FC457_zpslmjktqz1.jpg

Wasn't Daffy's first appearance (not solo) in the linen Porky Pig "Duck Hunt" ? I have a copy I need to dig out and look at. I think it might also be Porky's first appearance as well.
Hey RM. Yes, i believe that book is considered both their first appearances in 'book' form. LT&MM #1 is recognized as their first 'comic' book appearances(along with Bugs and Elmer in that one too). Overstreet recognizes FC 457 as Daffy Duck #1(comic title/series bearing his name).

PLEASE post that Duck Hunt soon as you dig it up buddy!

REEL TWO v2 MLJ HEROES (continued)

Can't believe i never posted this one till yesterday in the gold forum. One of my Top Ten all time favorite covers of any genre: These early MLJ's really pushed the envelope. Can't believe this was the house Archie eventually came from and then took over. Pep Comics 16. Gratuitous cleavage shot, double syringe, puncture wounds, blood dripping from neck and syringe, surprised parents didn't raise eyebrows and request they reign it in a bit. Mine is the second highest graded unrestored copy i believe.

Pep%20Comics%2016_zpsg9nspouv.jpg

Edited by Sagii

REEL FIVE v1 : FILM NOIR

Ok, going to take a break from the comics for a bit, and may do only one to two more entries then stop till October. August has two out of town trips, and September work load will be heavy with lots of Fall strategy planning/meetings/hours.

Film Noir (from Wikipedia: Is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize sexual motivations. Hollywood's classical film noir period is generally regarded as extending from the early 40's to the late 50's. Film noir of this era is associated with a low key black and white visual style that has roots in German expressionist cinematography. Many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the hard boiled school of crime fiction that emerged in the U.S. after the Great Depression).

Here are a few faves of mine:

Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

Adapted from the Mickey Spillane novel featuring the P.I. Mike Hammer, This one features a cold War subplot and classic ending among all the femme fatales , dark streets and bondage. Really a must see. I won't divulge into specifics so as not to ruin the films for any of you.

Kiss%20Me%20Deadly_zpsjm3uv5x0.jpg

Edited by Sagii

Laura (1944)

I cannot recommend this movie enough, featuring Gene Tierney at the height of her powers. A murdered(?) socialite draws a Detective into a web of high society and hidden agendas. Also features Vincent Price pre his Horror Icon period.

Laura_zps6kctx6gh.jpg

Hangmen Also Die (1943)

Master Fritz Lang masterpiece set in Czechoslovakia during the Nazi occupation. It is loosely based on a real life account of this dark time in world history. Again, can't recommend enough!

Hangmen%20Also%20Die_zpsjaqdxuzw.jpg

This Gun for Hire (1942)

Starring Veronica Lake :cloud9: and Alan Ladd. This movie was the first pairing of the Hollywood duo. They would make three more films together. (Shameless comic book reference: It's been documented DC heroine The Black Canary was' probably' modeled after Lake, known for her looks and peekaboo hair style covering one eye. If you look at the earliest Black Canary renderings this may hold water. :sumo: ). Oh, the movie! Yes, so Ladd plays a hit man out for revenge when he is double crossed by the man who hired him. One of his tough guy best! If you don't collect discs, hope Netflix has 'em available. That's it for now.This%20Gun%20For%20Hire_zpsqu8vtnwj.jpg

REEL SIX v1: PEDIGREES

Okay, this will be my last entry for a long while. Pedigrees, we all love em' right? Nothing like a book from a storied original owner collection. Especially if they are high grade, rare, or both. Here are some of mine.

Blue Ribbon Comics #18 (ROCKFORD)

BlueRibbonComics18Rockford_zps78dac0d9.jpg

Super-Mystery Comics v6 #1 (COSMIC AEROPLANE)

Super-Mystery%20Comics%20v6%201%20Cosmic%20Aeroplane_zpsihm7ohl3.jpg

Negro Romance #1 (WINDY CITY) :cloud9:

(Note: My copies of the series were used (loaned out) for the PBS series 'History Detectives episode/segment that documented the story behind this series). Much thanks to Dr. Love who sold me this copy years ago after a long search :foryou:imagejpg1_zps5ed51adf.jpg

Thanks Jack, appreciated.

Guess you've seen these before too. I have many more known and obscure ones to recommend down the road, but if anyone out there only has time for one, make it 'Kiss Me Deadly'. I think the plot twist is right up the average comic enthusiasts alley.

REEL SEVEN v1 : GODZILLA

Famous last words: This entry was supposed to be a little ways off, but with a cancelled out of town trip(and a now free day.....)

Okay, with the recent press announcement of what to expect with the next American Godzilla release i thought it'd be a nice time to reflect on what i felt are the five best films to feature the King of the Monsters. I discovered Godzilla when i was a kid watching reruns of his flicks on Saturday afternoon TV movie marathons.. And like my other favorite iconic fictional screen star Bugs Bunny, (one's my Avatar, the other's my Sig line)my fascination with Godzilla continues to this day. Godzilla, like Bugs, has also made a splash in the comic world with Marvel Comics being the first to licence the big guy in four color format. There was also a 70's Saturday morning cartoon, anyone remember (or want to forget? lol ) Godzuki?

Godzilla has played hero and villain during his long film career, and was effective in both roles in many of those films. Campy and/or 'Serious' at times the character has resonated with generations for 60 years now!! Here are my Top five (of 30?) films of the atomic breath breathing, building crushing, smack down champ:

1) GOJIRA (also known as 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters) 1954

Of course, the original as the blue print, is the originator, so it gets top place. Conceived as an anti nuclear allegory after the bombing of Japan, Godzilla is a force of nature awakened from a long slumber by mans use of the Atomic bomb. Nature avenging itself. Some of the sequences of Godzilla destroying the city with a creepy somber movie score, are effectively scary with the dark moody black and white filming (rubber suit and all). Godzilla is definitely the villain here, but also a lesson of sorts to man kind to treat the world and each other nice or giant monsters will get you! The Big G 'bites it in this one, but was brought back(obviously) for a long series of films(some with different continuity) that followed. The edition pictured released in 2006 features the complete un cut japanese original with sub titles(recommended)after being unavailable in the U.S. for years, AND the American cut, featuring Raymond Burr.

Gojira_zps9aexfaqc.jpg

2)King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)

This film 'cemented' Godzilla's star status pitting him against the other 'King' who up until this time was the world's best known giant 'monster'. This film for me really is a stand out for it's sense of 'epic' clash and use of the times special effects(except the giant Octopus lol ) . I believe this movie to have the 'BEST' choreographed / staged climactic fight sequence of any giant monster movie mash up to this day. These two really get it on, with laughable and suspenseful results at the same time complete with play by play by human spectators. Yeah, Kong is given a 'crutch' to take on the Big G, but Godzilla is again, the bad guy in this one, so.... . Rumors flew for years that there were two endings to this film, but i believe that was recently proven to be false.

King%20Kong%20vs.%20Godzilla_zps7eu7vkvl.jpg

3)Godzilla vs. Hedorah (also known as Godzilla vs The Smog Monster) 1971

This one gets a nod for a few reasons, but primarily because it was the most 'adult' entry in series for some time since the original and a knock out -script. Serious (and now more timely than ever)subject matter :mans abuse of the environment (move over Al Gore!). Godzilla is the good guy in this one and played to believable effect: it comes across as he's fighting Hedorah (pollution incarnate) more as an opposing force of nature than as man kinds savior. At times 'trippy' (animated sequences and psychedelic club scene and music -just TRY and get 'Save the Earth' out of your mind after hearing it lol )It is one solid film that i think even a non Godzilla fan would enjoy.

Godzilla%20vs.%20Hedorah_zps9mnptabe.jpg

4)Godzilla vs Megalon (1973)

Okay, this one gets a nod for several reasons: It and my next entry , my Mom took my brother and me as kids to see at the neighborhood theater ( :cloud9: good times). It was also for a time the Big G's best known film because of it's charismatic size changing robot co-star 'Jet-Jaguar', and it's Godzillas 'ultimate' super hero role entry, complete with the campiest fight sequences and monster 'behavior' EVER lol . You will see monsters Hi Fiving, laughing, tag team, and do moves the WWE wished it could execute. Wont give away much of the 'plot' but i think you need a strong sense of suspension of disbelief to enjoy it for what it is in the scope of Godzilla films. For a while because of rights issues this movie was elusive on the home video market save for bad boot legs. The edition shown was it's first official release in years, and i couldn't wait to get my hands on all the camp glory.

Godzilla%20vs.%20Megalon_zpsr3lpewhl.jpg

5)Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (also known as Godzilla vs the Cosmic Monster)1974

As mentioned before, saw this one in the theater as a kid. This is my all time favorite Godzilla film because of some memorable effective scenes. It directly followed 'Megalon' but it's tone is a total polar opposite. While Godzilla is once again hero in this one, his opponent( a robotic version of himself) who would become his arch nemesis, gives the film a darker tone. For the first time in a Godzilla film, there was blood. Red blood. and not from the people, but the monsters. And lots of it. And i remember being scared for the Big G in the rematch in the films climax. Favorite scene? When the Big G comes back stomping up the hill (with a swagger!!)for the rematch gunslinger style to face off against Mechagodzilla (and a certain stormy island sequence midway through the film which i wont give away here). Just magic! Copies of this edition currently command a slight premium on the collectors market.

Godzilla%20vs.%20Mechagodzilla_zpsw8f3myn8.jpg

I know i said five, but, honorable mention.......

6)Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (2001)

More recent entry, released in the U.S. direct to dvd (i believe) Godzilla is bad guy here. The movie plays as a direct sequel to the 54 original. An approach many of the more recent Japanese produced Godzilla fims take. The special effects are worlds better than the movies i mentioned above(Godzilla's atomic breath is executed real bad a**), and though the plot is convoluted to say least, the film achieves something no Godzilla film has done since the 54 original: Godzilla is SCARY in this one. No compassion, (no pupils!!) all smash and destroy, it actually had me rooting for the other monsters. And that's something considering how much i love the Big G. Very realistic Godzilla suit in this one too, resembling the bulky body of the original.

Godzilla%20Mothra%20amp%20King%20Ghidorah.%20GMAOA_zpsrzkartow.jpg

I'm sure there are MANY Godzilla fans on these Boards. Please feel free to share your lists and thought here on the subject. May do a Kong edition down the road. Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed! (thumbs u

Edited by Sagii

REEL EIGHT v1: CRIME COMICS (PRE CODE)

No holds barred, graphically violent, racy and adult themed for it's time when comics were still largely seen as kids stuff, though that wasn't necessarily the target audience, i'm sure plenty of kids got their hands on this stuff.

This genre doesn't seem to have the 'rabid' following it's pre code cousin 'Horror' has, but i think that will change in time. Sure there are a few 'stand out' sought after issues(Lev Gleason), but there are a lot of undiscovered gems in the genre that will catch fire eventually. Hey, who would have thought 'Teen Humor' would be the rage it is now? Or 'Romance' for that matter?

I have some nice examples in this genre, but the Boards are 'quiet' lately so won't break out the real notorious stuff now, but some personal faves that i hope will whet some appetites to give the genre some looks from those who up till now have not.

Crime Clinic #11(#2) (Ziff Davis pub)

This publisher has some kick a** painted covers spanning many genres. For those new to golden age, check em out on some of the data comic sites on the web. I love this cover for the possible super natural vibe to the story: Dummy firing off a pistol(look ma, no hands)much to the horror of the ventriloquist. Don't know if his lips moved though. Not one of the more 'seedy' entries, but the cover alone is tops!

Crime%20Clinic%2011%202_zps1tiymf2t.jpg

2 2