• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

REEL ELEVEN: Rarities /Scarce /Oddities (v.2)

...And here it is! Four Teeners #34 was a One-Shot teen anthology that followed the numbering from the Four Favorites series. It featured all the Ace Periodicals Archie competitors. Cover girl 'Dotty' must have gotten a lot of fan mail: The next issue the title gets named after her while still keeping the original numbering. There is only one lone copy of Four Teeners #34 on the CGC census (a 7.0). Time for company? hm

Four%20Teeners%2034_zpsedth3xnh.jpg

REEL TWELVE: Question: Riddle me this?

While 'Amazing Mysteries #32 (1949) is regarded i believe as the first Atlas/Timely Horror book, i wonder where that leaves this little nugget? Ideal Comics #2. Published the year before AM32, this is clearly a 'horror' cover in my eye, certainly inspired by the horrific Jack the Ripper crimes. Dead cop, skull head (murder weapon?), next unsuspecting victim waiting in the wings, all the elements are there. While i have never seen the interiors of this book (maybe they are 'tame' when compared to the books that followed by the publisher in the genre, hence it not being 'recognized' as a possible first) the cover is certainly descriptive enough to know, something brutal is about to follow the already evident other brutal act. I only bought it for the cover after highly regarded Boardie Marty Mann posted his copy in the gold forum, so i'm content with not cracking mine open to find out.

But for the Atlas/Timely experts out there who have read it, case for consideration? Could this be the first Horror book by the publisher? hm

Ideal%20Comics%202_zpsqvwb15uv.jpg

RECAP REEL (v2)

Some recent shares in Gold, for those who don't make it there (or those who do who may have missed them).Crime Mysteries has some of the BEST pre code Horror/Crime covers out there IMHO. This one , though published years before, reminds me of the cult B list Slasher films of my youth (Fun House). The cover is credited to Al Hollingsworth on some sites, but most of the covers i've seen of his tend to have his signature, unless i'm 'missing' it, i don't think this one has. Skulls and blood on a 50's comic book!

Crime%20Mysteries%2014_zpsmsmylx8z.jpg

Super-Mystery Comics are one of my favorite runs. Also, exceptional covers there. This under water Octopus cover has details galore. Snagged this at the Big Apple Con from Metro earlier this year.

Super-Mystery%20Comics%20v5%204_zpsdigwyitp.jpg

Headline Comics was a long running series from Prize Publications. It began with covers featuring 'The Junior Rangers' (Uncle Sams nephews)who tended to cross paths with Hitler a lot in their early stories that also feature some nice War Covers. Later Ranger covers had the boys in mystery type settings before turning into a 'Crime' title. Love this full moon one (i see ya Gino)with a Detective 31 vibe to it.

Headline%20Comics%2020_zps8jsfxt5r.jpg

Nice stuff there Corey. You're branching out a bit - or is there a hidden pattern?
:hi: Andrew

Well, yes and yes, and yes! lol I certainly collect more pre code and teen humor than I originally did before joining the Boards. A lot of it is Publisher specific (Ace for example) I used to only want the Super hero stuff, now I'm into their Crime, teen humor, PCH, and funny animal stuff too. Won't be a completeist, as I'm not into western, but you know what, out side of Negro Romance and Forbidden Love I originally used to feel that way about romance comics. Now I'm into completing a select few other short htf runs in the genre, so you never know.

REEL THIRTEEN: Uncut and Uninterrupted (V.1)

This Reel, inspired by the Turner Classic Movies tag line when they show a film in it's original entire running time without commercials will feature a comic book and a complete interior(with the case of anthology titles, one story). This is one cool book from Ace Periodicals. It's the last issue of this series and is no.25-b. The title had two number 25's, this one the harder of the two to locate. There was another instance of Ace having two identical numbers on a book, but i'm still hunting one of the said books so that's a Reel for another day.

The cover is almost a swipe of Amazing Mysteries #32 IMHO. Awesome cover!

Hand%20of%20Fate%2025b_zpsk9a1xlju.jpg

REEL FOUR: Wabbit and Co. (National Bugs Bunny Day)

April 30th , observed annually. To observe, i'm posting this vintage collectible Bugs Bunny and Friends 'ColorForms set circa 1960's. These were VERY simple forms of entertainment popular in the 60's and 70's that just involved different colored plastics removable 'sticky' cut outs of whatever character(s) a particular set was based on and kids would mix and match these pieces on a cardboard back drop. Oh, such simple times... :cloud9:

Happy National Bugs Bunny Day all!

Bugs%20Bunny%20and%20his%20Friends%20-Colorforms%20set%201962_zpsrbgnzlkl.jpg

REEL ELEVEN: Rarities /Scarce /Odiities (v.3)

Here are two books iv'e shared in the Gold Forum recently. Four Favorites #27. This one features a weird but supremely rendered swamp scene of living trees driving these Men insane with a obviously scary tune.

Four%20Favorites%2027_zpspvybnnfw.jpg

Plus this MLJ goodie. Funny animal cover, dark theme for the genre in my eye. Alot of these Jolly Jingles (formerly Jackpot Comics)are super tough. Just ask Super Duck.

Jolly%20Jingles%2013_zpsirdrm77p.jpg

Some rainy day, post up some full-size shots of some of your sigline books? I see a lot there to like. :popcorn:

you're on Sir! I'll get to it by weeks end. May shuffle it in the Fall, as I've some new gets I'd like to add to/replace some books in it with.

REEL ELEVEN: Rarities /Scarce /Odiities (v.3)

Here are two books iv'e shared in the Gold Forum recently. Four Favorites #27. This one features a weird but supremely rendered swamp scene of living trees driving these Men insane with a obviously scary tune.

Four%20Favorites%2027_zpspvybnnfw.jpg

Plus this MLJ goodie. Funny animal cover, dark theme for the genre in my eye. Alot of these Jolly Jingles (formerly Jackpot Comics)are super tough. Just ask Super Duck.

Jolly%20Jingles%2013_zpsirdrm77p.jpg

Both real winners Corey! I've never seen either one of them. The 4 Favorites is one I've got to keep an eye out for. Seems like most of those were all over the place real cheap just a few years ago. They just seem to have dried up and when they do turn up (usually on eBay), the prices are just crazy.

RM! Thank you sir. Again when a collector of your caliber says they've never seen something, you know it's tough. Yes, the ones that have been popping up on eBay have been finishing for crazy prices, and yes there always seems to be a :slapfight: for them.

Love the Clown sunset in your Junk Thread btw.

Just the usual great stuff Corey. (thumbs u

BTW, the Looney Tunes #10 in your sig line just went up a peg in the census because I cracked mine out! I just wanted to read it, so out she came.

Thanks for the compliment and bump Andrew buddy! :banana:lol

2 2