• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

REEL FOURTEEN: Monuments and Idols ( v.1)

Vol. one of this Reel will focus on N.Y. monuments covers (Statue of Liberty and The Empire State Building. The first two covers are also War Bonds covers. I'm not sure how many Lady Liberty covers are out there (gold, silver or bronze), but i can think of an early Pep and a later Blue Bolt issue i like (but don't own).

First up is an issue of Boy Comics rendered by the incomparable Charles Biro. Note the villain in the corner box: (would NOT fly today). Love the early kid heroes/soldiers war covers of the golden age.

BoyComics9_zpse2d9f20a.jpg

Next is this toughie from Quality Comics featuring Uncle Sam in battle atop Lady Liberty againt Japanese Nazis ?!?!

20163003-073014_p1_zpsikjjawob.jpg

And lastly this Ace Periodicals :cloud9: Bondage cover on what looks like some bad guy turned the Empire State Building into a makeshift rocket. Gotta love golden age. Only four copies of this book have passed through CGC to date.

Four%20Favorites%207_zpsakbnjxkc.jpg

Nice ones Corey. Here's another Statue of Liberty cover

comlightningV22_zpsn2q2yjlr.jpg

And an Ace to boot! Nice one RM! :applause: that's one title I haven't had much luck with. I'm doing better on the short lived title that it spun off from 'Sure-Fire'. I hope to reveal a completed set soon. Thanks for reading!

lol Agreed, cool art, not the best story. There were others I could've went with, they were much longer though, and I wasn't sure if many would want to scroll down so many pages. (shrug)

Thanks for reading. Wouldn't mind seeing some more Australian Disney stuff in your journal soon.

REEL TWO: MLJ heroes (V.3)

Recent acquisition: Jolly Jingles #10 (#1) formerly Jackpot Comics, first Super Duck. Long been after a copy of this one. When Archie and Co. became more popular than their super hero features, MLJ made lots of changes to their titles. They kept the 'super' angle with this feature even though a funny animal headlined. Good call as Super Duck headlined his own LONG running self titled series (sans the super powers) soon after. I passed on a detached cover copy with better pages and cover colors on eBay a month or two ago to obtain an issue #11 from the same seller, then this copy popped up last week with a 'Buy it Now" option. Well read, soiled, written on and loved, but the cover is attached (barely lol )and she's mine! :cloud9: Uncut and uninterrupted first story. I hope the upcoming MLJ Heroes companion has some back story on this super fowl,

Jolly%20Jingles%2010%201_zpsypebh0lr.jpg

IMG_2367_zpslkqq7ena.jpg

IMG_2368_zpsjcat6nxu.jpg

IMG_2370_zpslm484imj.jpg

IMG_2371_zpsukulsx1d.jpg

IMG_2372_zps6qf3kcsq.jpg

IMG_2373_zpsbanblh2b.jpg

IMG_2375_zpsxc4voede.jpg

IMG_2376_zps0hebkmt5.jpg

BONUS: I thought this feature was notable. Only sharing two pages here. Racist for sure, but interesting as it seems to be an African American version of the 'Yellow Kid'. Richard, are you out there buddy?

IMG_2377_zpsicezasfw.jpg

IMG_2379_zpsfkqkjytx.jpg

REEL FOUR: Wabbit and Co, (Vintage collectibles)

Thanks to the esteemed Robot-Man (RM) and his storied incomparable 'Junk Pile' (his term, not mine, though he means it with love) come these vintage Bugs Bunny /Looney Tunes collectibles from the 40's and 50's. I feel so lucky to get these as i was only purchasing one of the pins from a sales thread he was holding. He said he might have other things i may find of interest and when i saw what they were.. well, you can figure out how that ended. You've heard of 'Disneyana', well get the term 'Looney Toonary' in yer heads (Ok, you don't have to, it's a term i coin to myself but i think it has such a nice ring to it lol )

First up some pins. This is an area i had exclusively1980's and up pieces in, not anything earlier. Just felt i didn't know enough about authenticating them to really jump in. But (RM) is one of the Boards leading experts in this field so i know i'm getting the real deal! IMG_2419_zpslytkwjjp.jpg

This one is the 'Diana Ross' of the trio. It came pinned to a 50's Bugs doll. According to RM, parents of course removed them so the kiddies wouldn't stick themselves with it, thus making it the hardest to find of the bunch. Now i have to find a 'perfect' doll specimen on eBay to pair the pin with. Love the image on this one.

IMG_2422_zps4sgswy7d.jpg

This one is special in it's own right as it has Bugs pleading for aid to crippled children. If this pin back were produced today instead of the 50's it most certainly would not include the term 'crippled'. Simpler less 'obsessively PC' times.

IMG_2424_zps22h3ilbk.jpg

And lastly, my gateway drug to the stock of RM lol , this was a premium 40's pin that was a mail in offer offered to readers of 1940's Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Comics.

IMG_2421_zpsngjvayo6.jpg

Edited by Sagii

Next up, ceramic figure and a planter. These were produced in the 40's by the Shaw Pottery company. I have seen the Bugs in this pose figures a few times for sale, but not with the planter base as this one has. These are a 'nice' size, bigger than photos would make you assume. And though Bugs is my favorite of the LT gang, this Porky Pig figure is a gem :cloud9:

IMG_2425_zpswgwranh0.jpg

IMG_2429_zpsslabl3as.jpg

IMG_2427_zpsbegcilo7.jpg

Next up, the 'coup de grace' : a 1940's alarm clock. This is just a stunning piece in person even with the wear. The crystal is missing, and it's not running, but i'm considering having it fixed. I'd like to see the carrot hand moving. If anyone can chime in as to do restoring things like this help (like in the collector care market) or hurt (like the comic market) it'd be appreciated.

IMG_2430_zpssymavudt.jpg

Lastly a vintage local (folk art?)piece and a 1980's piece. This piece is a ticket to an event at the Shrine Auditorium, it appears to have been sponsored by the Police. Maybe a cartoon marathon screening? Dated 1945.

IMG_2433_zps98w2ivec.jpg

And lastly is this Hologram Ring from 1987. Not as old as the other pieces, but hey, next year this baby will be 30! It's getting there as far as collectibles go. Iv'e captured the image between the shifting images (a close up of Bugs, and Bugs at the Lincoln Memorial.

IMG_2434_zpsfkdlz4d8.jpg

Well as Porky would say "That's all folks"! (for now...)

Thanks again Robot Man (thumbs u

Lastly a vintage local (folk art?)piece and a 1980's piece. This piece is a ticket to an event at the Shrine Auditorium, it appears to have been sponsored by the Police. Maybe a cartoon marathon screening? Dated 1945.

IMG_2433_zps98w2ivec.jpg

And lastly is this Hologram Ring from 1987. Not as old as the other pieces, but hey, next year this baby will be 30! It's getting there as far as collectibles go. Iv'e captured the image between the shifting images (a close up of Bugs, and Bugs at the Lincoln Memorial.

IMG_2434_zpsfkdlz4d8.jpg

My pleasure Corey. Glad you are happy with them. This is what I love about this business, getting stuff where it belongs. Bugs and Porky look a lot happier at your place than buried in a box in my garage. Maybe this weekend I can take some photos of what I am keeping...

IMG_2433_zps98w2ivec.jpg

IMG_2434_zpsfkdlz4d8.jpg

My pleasure Corey. Glad you are happy with them. This is what I love about this business, getting stuff where it belongs. Bugs and Porky look a lot happier at your place than buried in a box in my garage. Maybe this weekend I can take some photos of what I am keeping...

Lord no, have mercy please, my heart couldn't take it. .....

RECAP REEL: 2016 CGC REGISTRY AWARDS

Just when i think i know all the ins and outs of these Boards i discover something new. So when i read the results of the winners for 2016 i had no idea there were more winners if i clicked on the 'Competitive Set' link than the names of the Top ranking winners. So 'Lo and behold' my surprise when i saw an envelope from CGC in my mail box Saturday night, opening it to discover two certificates declaring me a winner for two sets in my collection (sorry for the fuzzy pics) :whee::whee:

My Negro Romance set (complete)

FullSizeRender_zpsta26k2jb.jpg

And this set (still in progress, need to just submit books and cool off buying long enough lol ) Blue Ribbon Comics 'Mr. Justice covers

FullSizeRender%201_zpsvb8l8qnq.jpg

I thank the Mods (and Boardies if they vote too, not sure how it's declared) who voted for me, it's a real honor and i look forward to completing some more sets to compete with. This looks so nice in my Sig Line :acclaim:

2 2